Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter quote Va
on: September 17, 2007 11:58
Turiin, on being asked to seek Thingol's judgment on the death of Saeros;

But Turin said; 'If the King were just, he would judge me blameless. But was not this one of his counsellors? Why should a just king choose a heart of malice for his friend? I abjure his law and his judgment.'

Periantari
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter quote Va
on: September 24, 2007 07:19
He's so darn cocky and so prideful... i think these traits are among the reasons why he fell in the end...
Who is he to stand up/disagree/"abjure" to Thingol, the Elven king who took him in like a son? So darn disrespectful...

[Edited on 9//25/0707 by Periantari]
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: September 25, 2007 12:10
I see this quote as showing Turin's fear. I think he was afraid that Thingol would believe anything Saeros had to say because he was one of his advisors. In the end, Turin didn't believe that Thingol would truely hold him blameless so out of fear he rebelled and spoke harshly about Thingol.
Periantari
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2007 05:12
That may be true and fear is a good explanation for him saying that, but I think it was also a rash act to leave Doriath when he could've explained the whole accident to Thingol... When he did find out from Beleg that he was held blameless, i think Turin was already under the impression that he was better off by himself, which is understandable since he was a grown man and he was restless to do something against Morgoth.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: September 26, 2007 03:03
I definitely agree that it was rash to leave Doriath the way that he did. But he didn't hold much faith that he would be held blameless after speaking to Thingol, and figured it was better to run and be free than risk being imprisioned. I think he was also to proud to go and beg pardon. Definitely disrepectful after all Thingol had done for him. I agree that he wanted to do something against Morgoth and that it had a part in not returning but I think his pride had something to do with it too. He was again to proud to go back to Doriath and accept the pardon of Thingol. Maybe he also didn't believe that he deserved the pardon. Maybe he wanted others to hold him blameless in Saeros' death but didn't hold himself blameless.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email