Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter quote Vb- Turin in Doriath
on: September 25, 2007 12:11
A brief summary of the characteristics and personality of Turin;
Often Beleg Strongbow came to Menegroth to seek him, and led him far afield, teaching him woodcraft and archery and ( which he liked more) the handling of swords; but in crafts of making he had less skill, for he was slow to learn his own strength, and often marred what he made with some sudden stroke. In other matters also it seemed that fortune was unfriendly to him, so that often what he designed went awry, and what he desired he did not gain; neither did he win friendship easily, for he was not merry, and laughed seldom, and a shadow lay on his youth. Nonetheless he was held in love and esteem by those who knew him well, and he had honour as the fosterling of the King

Was it Morgoth's curse, the loss of his father, the death of sister, or being sent away by his mother, that made him grow into the man he became?
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter quote Vb- Turin in Doriath
on: September 25, 2007 06:40
Was it Morgoth's curse, the loss of his father, the death of sister, or being sent away by his mother, that made him grow into the man he became?

I believe they all contributed to the shaping of Turin's destiny and the creation of his character. Without one of them, Turin's life might have probably been much mroe different - for better or worse.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: September 25, 2007 08:11
In Turin's culture father's were often away ... or killed in battle, and the customs of fosterage for boys frequently meant separation from the mother ... often to live with a maternal uncle or paternal grandfather. He will have understood that as part of the pattern of life. The workings of curses are too complex for me to contemplate, however ...

What I think got to him was his parents' denial of his grief over his sister, the kind of doubt survivors often feel (why her and not me?) and his separation from Labadal. This last could account for his clumsiness in handicrafts. Woodworking in particular would have stirred grief and tension and the matter of the knife/gift would not have helped. It seems that all the things that should have meant joy were hedged about with grief and harsh custom. He tried to be as contained as his mother, but only stored up tension for his next passionate outburst.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: September 25, 2007 12:05
I think being sent away by his mother had a great impact on how he turned out. If she would have indeed come to Doriath after being summoned so many times his mood may have been better. He worried about the safety of Morwen and the sister he never knew and the stress and worry made him unable to be fulfilled and happy. It seems that the curse had something to do with things also, the line that "fortune was unfriendly to him" suggests that the curse prevented anything from ever turning out good for him. But as Ilandir said, all things combined made him the way that he was.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email