Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter VII, Of Mim the Dwarf
on: October 15, 2007 12:26
1) What did you think of Mim? How would you classify him? Was he good, evil, trustworthy, honest? After what happened to his son, would you bring your men to live in his home?

2) Did you think that Mim was truthful when he explained why he didn't wish to give up his sack? Did it contain more than just the bread-like roots?

3) Can you think of any reasons for Turin and the Gaurwaith to consider living on Amon-Rudh to be only a temporary
expediency?

[Edited on 22/10/2007 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
sldowns
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter VII, Of Mim the Dwarf
on: October 21, 2007 05:53
I believe that Mim was exactly as he appeared. A Dwarf just trying to keep himself and his sons out of harms way. And in that I don't think he was evil. That's not to say he was 'good' but just trying to survive and placing the needs of himself and his sons first.
I would have been uncomfortable bringing those who had killed his son into his home. Especially when the death served no real purpose. I think Mim took the death better than I would have.

As for the sack, it appears to have been exactly as 'stated'. Not so much in words by Mim until later when we discover the plant roots unknown to all but the Dwarfs. A source of food to help in over-wintering in their cave. Given the strength of Dwarfs it most likely contained a fair amount of food for the coming winter.

As to a temporary stay - Given the nature of the group it would not be wise to stay in any one place overlong. The longer the stay the greater the likelyhood of being found. Especially when you consider the number of individuals that have to be provided for.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: October 22, 2007 05:33
1) What did you think of Mim? How would you classify him? Was he good, evil, trustworthy, honest? After what happened to his son, would you bring your men to live in his home?

I felt sorry for Mim. Here his is on his way home with his sons minding their own business when suddenly they are shot at and Mim is attacked, thrown to the ground, threatened and tied up. Turin's men treated him badly. I don't consider Mim evil. After the way Mim was treated and what happened to his son I wouldn't have taken these men into his home but have moved on leaving Mim and his remaining son in peace.

2) Did you think that Mim was truthful when he explained why he didn't wish to give up his sack? Did it contain more than just the bread-like roots?

I think because Mim felt the need to offer up an explanation after the fact and without being questioned, that he was trying to hide something. Also one of the men said they saw other types of roots in the bag. The other roots must have been more valuable, whether for food or some other reason.

3) Can you think of any reasons for Turin and the Gaurwaith to consider living on Amon-Rudh to be only a temporary
expediency?

I agree that they would consider staying in one place to long dangerous. They would want to move on to areas that may serve their needs a bit more and eventually be on their own without having to rely on the dwarf. They may also have been nervous that the dwarf may betray them at some point.
arvegil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2007 01:15
"3) Can you think of any reasons for Turin and the Gaurwaith to consider living on Amon-Rudh to be only a temporary
expediency?"

By the time they arrive there, they have been used to the outlaw's life for so long, the idea of permanent settlement is a little alien to them.
Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2008 02:22

I don't think Mim was evil necessary, but out for his own good, and not very trustworthy. After his son died, I would have felt uneasy living there, both awkward and because i might fear he would try to seek revenge, though he is only a dwarf against a band of men. This would also have to be weighed against the need for food and shelter.

It sounded as though he were trying to make them believe there were just roots, but that really there was also something else there, but i can't say for sure.
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: April 15, 2008 09:45

I think he was not evil, but not entirly good. I mean, I wouldn't exactly be happy about bringing the men into is home. If I were Turin, I wouldn't WANT Mim to take them into his home. I wouldn't trust him.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2008 02:36
2) I think that Mim was probably trying to smuggle gold or other treasure through the wilderness. After all, he said himself that wanting to save the earth bread root things wouldn't stop him from escaping. After all, who would stay in the company of hostile men with bows and swords who had just killed your son if you didn't have a reason?
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2008 03:50

I can hardly imagine calling Mim evil. Indeed, as is often noted, Dwarves appear to be a more selfish race, and I believe that Mim shows this to a certain extent. He seems to be good at heart, and even someone from whom we could expect to see some sort of altruistic behavior if another Dwarf was in danger. However, as I mentioned before, he just doesn't seem the type to be in any way devoted to the preservation of any race or ideal other than his own.

It does not appear that any know that one of Mim's sons has been hit until they are already there. Were I Turin, I would have felt somewhat more comfortable about my fortunes after Mim places the curse upon Androg, seeing that the Dwarf is not overly vengeful. After all, he does say, "Nay, Mim does not eat Men." He seems to acknowledge early on that he is in no position to put up a fight against an entire host of Men.

Mim says that he would have been willing to part with his small load to save his own life. So one wonders, is there more to it? I think not. I believe Mim refuses to part with his sack out of stubborness, or at least a belief that the sack is his, and no stranger has the right to set a condition for his ability to keep it.

If not that, I guess there is the possibility that the roots have some sort of special healing power. Although Mim never says it, his behavior seems to imply that he knew his son was wounded and dying. --Then again, it seems like he already had more in store, so what is the need of his sack in particular?

expediency?

The Gaurwaith, at least, are outlaws, rangers, drifters. The idea of settling down in one place just doesn't fit them. Even living in that shelter, they find they still have many of the problems from before, especially concerning the lack of food. It also seems as though many of them are growing restless of the constant gloom of living in the shadows in Amon Rudh.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email