Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter VIII, The Land of Bow and Helm
on: October 29, 2007 12:22
1) What were the risks and benefits of Turin starting to wear the helm of Hador?

2)Why would Mim try to make a bargain with the Orcs? Once he made the deal why did he hide in his caves after Beleg and Turin were captured?
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter VIII, The Land of Bow and Helm
on: October 29, 2007 07:02
1) What were the risks and benefits of Turin starting to wear the helm of Hador?
It can work both ways. The risks are mainly of exposing oneself and attracting too much attention to enemies, wearing such a renowed artifact. And in Turin's case, choosing the life of an outlaw and remain hidden from others would not have been of a benefit.

On the other hadn, it benefits Turin mainly in battle. Since it is known to be worn by powerful warriors, enemies (mostly Orcs) would have a low moral (and fear) and this may turn battles into victories for Turin and his followers.

2)Why would Mim try to make a bargain with the Orcs? Once he made the deal why did he hide in his caves after Beleg and Turin were captured?
Mim is a petty-dwarf and not like the normal dwarves in Middle-Earth. They are known to be rough and sometimes cruel - that's why I find it easy for someone like Mim to have made a bargain with the orcs - mainly to take revenge upon Turin and his Men for the killing of his son.

I believe he hid because he might have realised his mistake and it was then that he found who where his real enemies (the orcs).
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: November 02, 2007 10:26
The risk would be that Morgoth and his servants knew that Turin wore the helmet in battle in Doraith so now they would know where he was. The benefit would be that the helmet was known by the enemy as a sight of dread so when the orcs saw this helmet in use again, they would be very afraid to go near the places that it was known to be.

I believe Mim tried to make a bargin with the orcs because he hated Beleg and Turin's men so much that he wanted them gone. He was so jealous of Beleg and Turin's relationship and angry at Beleg for healing Androg and breaking his curse that he would rather betray Turin, who he cared for, than have to spend any more time around the others. He wanted revenge on everyone but Turin. I think he hid to ensure that he wasn't killed in the battle either by the orcs or by Turin's men. He greatly wanted to kill Beleg himself and hiding until the danger was over would ensure that he would still be around to do it.

Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2008 02:34

I think it may also be that wearing the helm added to Turin's overconfidence during their small victories over the orcs. Morgoth is very calculating in his war-waging strategies so now not only does he know where Turin is but can let his confidence build up until Morgoth decides to strike with greater force.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email