Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter XIV The Journey of Morwen and Nienor
on: January 22, 2008 03:56
1}What similarities and differences do you see between the personalities of Morwen and Turin?; Nienor and Turin?

2) Why does Nienor reveal her identity to Glaurung?

3) Why did Glaurung choose to let Mablung live? Was he serving his own purposes, or those of his Master?

[Edited on 22/1/2008 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter XIV The Journey of Morwen and Nienor
on: January 28, 2008 02:23
1}What similarities and differences do you see between the personalities of Morwen and Turin?; Nienor and Turin?

There seem to be many similarities between all three of them. They all seem to be prideful, courageous, strong and loyal to their family. A difference I did notice right away was that Nienor took the counsel of others seriously and seemed to listen to it. She knew that Thingol and Melian were right and tried to persuade her mother to return.

2) Why does Nienor reveal her identity to Glaurung?

She didn't have any knowledge of Glaurung and therefore saw no reason not to reveal who she was. But I think that her pride also played a part in it.

3) Why did Glaurung choose to let Mablung live? Was he serving his own purposes, or those of his Master?

I think Glaurung let Mablung live so that he would be despair and feel that he failed in his mission. He also wanted it known to Thingol that he was there and that Nargothrond was no more. I think Glaurung was serving his own purpose in this. It was for his own enjoyment to cause torment and despair.

[Edited on 1/29/2008 by Dolwen]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email