Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter XVIII The Death of Turin
on: March 05, 2008 02:19

Does Brandir remind of any other First Age character or characters? Does he deserve his fate?

Why does Gurthang speak, was this just Turin's imagination?

Was Turin's life worth living? Was the world a better place for him having been on it? After a final accounting, was his legacy positive or negative

What, do you think, happened to Hurin after the death of Morwen?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter XVIII The Death of Turin
on: March 09, 2008 09:07
Does Brandir remind of any other First Age character or characters? Does he deserve his fate?
He reminds me a little of Maeglin. Mostly his jealousy of Turin's accomplishments and of Turin and Niniel's relationship. I don't think he deserved to die the way that he did though. He was thought worthless by his people, usurped by Turin, denied love and criticized by Dorlas. The grief of seeing Niniel die was just to much for him to bear and I don't think he would have killed Dorlas for his words if he had been in his right mind at the time.

Was Turin's life worth living? Was the world a better place for him having been on it? After a final accounting, was his legacy positive or negative
Yes Turin's life was worth living. He did a lot of good even though his pride made some points of his life turn out badly. I would say it was positive just for the fact of the lands that were made safe because of his deeds. Others could go on to do the things that they did because of him. His family were able to go to Menegroth and be happy and healthy for a while because of his deeds. Many others were likely to do good because of him also.

What, do you think, happened to Hurin after the death of Morwen?
I have read the Wanderings of Hurin so:
He wandered around to the places that his family had been seeking revenge at first for the hardships of his family and finally went to die where they were.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email