Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PlanetofJanet
Council Member
Send Message
Post Avatar - FAQ (please read before posting q's about avatars)
on: April 27, 2008 10:02
PLEASE NOTE: Due to some problems with the avatar uploading software on the site we would recommend using an external link to your avatar. Insert the plain address (http: etc, no brackety stuff) in the 'Avatar URL' field and delete your avatar if you have uploaded one to this site.

- The avatar I wanted to use is too big. It was suggested that I resize it. I haven't got a clue here. Also, does this site have the ability to crop a picture?

+ No, you can't resize or crop a picture or image on a website, you need a program like 'paint' or 'photoshop' for that. If you have a normal windows-system, paint should be on it. With the properties-options in it you can check how large your image is and resize it to the proper size allowed by the site.

- I uploaded my own avatar and everything was ok and such, no errors or other bad things... yet I cannot see it, do I need to activate it somewhere?

+ You need to go to 'my account' and then to your personal options on top of the screen, there you have to select your avatar. Make sure the one you uploaded has the proper size as specified in the rules.

- Where should I go online to find moving avatars? Are there any good sites I should go to?

+ Right across the top is a list of buttons, the first one is 'My Account'. You can open that and midway down is a block, next to which is a line 'change avatar'. If you click on that, it will open a gallery from which you can choose one.
Also I reckon about one of the best animated LotR avatar sites, apart from CoE of course, is probably this one.
There are numerous more on the web if it isn't LotR specific that you are looking for, but not all of such good quality, perhaps.

- Should I be able to see my avatar when I leave a post? I can see most other peoples' but not my own, is this normal?

+ No, if you made a post, and you go back to the thread to check it, you should see your own avatar. Sometimes it can take a bit of time though, and require refreshing the webpage a few times. When you are typing the post of course you don't see it, only when posted.

- My avatar (a GIF) doesn't have very good quality. Other members' GIF avvies have great quality. The pics I used also did. Is there any way to have a GIF look good when you save it?

+ It depends on the editing program you use. I use Adobe Image Ready CS2 for animated avatars (.gif's). Make sure the bases you use are high quality, and when you save it, use the maximum setting for quality. That should do the trick.

[Edited on 16/6/2008 by gondolinian]

[Edited on 12/29/2015 by tarcolan]
~PadmeElrond~
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Avatar - FAQ (please read before posting q's about avatars)
on: September 15, 2009 10:34
Thanks I now understand more about the avatars!
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2010 01:46
with using Paint...can I only use the drawings I've made on there, then? Cuz I've never had a successful copy-and-paste on there.
Image Image
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
on: December 12, 2010 11:31
You don't need to use Paint necessarily. But if you need to resize a picture, you will have to use a program capable of doing that (like Paint, Photoshop, or free alternatives for whatever operating system you have).

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2011 09:27
So, I know I'm not a Newby any more, but I wanted to make sure I could get my current avatar back if I changed it. Well, I couldn't find it in the general pool, and I can't remember if you can somehow make your avatar for private use only? If so, is it archived somewhere else?
Image Image
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: September 07, 2011 08:26
Avatar's for private use are only possible if you have a special status (like moderators or people with a certain amount of user points).
If you have uploaded your own avatar to the general pool in the past, you should be able to find it again, although it might be difficult if you don't remember the name, since there are many hundreds of avatars in the pool.
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2011 02:46
okay, thanks; I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

*latter* I found it! I made "dawn treader" into one word! :banghead: That'll sure make it hard for other people to find. ah well. You live and learn.

[Edited on 6/10/2011 by Nrogara]
Image Image
LalaithThaliondil
Council Member
Send Message
I had an avatar that worked and I tried to change it, and now I am getting error messages even when I choose the file that originally worked. Do you have any suggestions for how I could fix that?
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hi Lalaith, we've been having some issues with our account settings module and we haven't been able to resolve them yet. Your avatar issue is probably related to this. But I've noticed that some newbies do manage to set up an avatar, so it might be something else as well. Could you try again by setting a new avatar? Does that work? And if not, what exact error message do you get?

[Edited on 06/21/2015 by gondolinian]
LalaithThaliondil
Council Member
Send Message
I found the "Something not working?" thread under CoE Announcements, Rules, & Feedback, and it seems that everyone is having trouble with uploading avatar pictures, but it works if you use a direct link to an image hosting website. So I have done that and it is working.
I would like to know if you get the upload fixed though. This is the error message I got, hope it helps:

Warning: getimagesize(/home/councilo/public_html/wp-content/uploadshttp://www.councilofelrond.com/?attachment_id=190837) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/councilo/public_html/wp-content/plugins/profile-builder-pro/premium/functions/premium.functions.load.php on line 127

(Same thing, repeated 4 times.)
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Yeah, it is correct that the uploading-your-own-avatar part of the site has had some issues, and there's no foreseeable date on which it will be fixed sadly. But I'm glad you got yourself an avatar at least . Thanks for the feedback!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email