Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Comments, concerns, suggestions
on: June 08, 2009 08:46
In this thread I'm looking for suggestions as to how we should read and discuss The Silmarilllion.
Should we take one week or two on each chapter?
Should we use the same format as in the past, with questions posed on each chapter, a quote of the week, and posting a few illustartions from the Coe Gallery?
What can be done to keep as many members as possible interested and parricipating in the discussion?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post RE: Comments, concerns, suggestions
on: June 08, 2009 09:21
We did the Sil for our realm book club in Vaire last year. We did the questions on each chapter along with an author question or two (i.e. Tolkien's use of language, foreshadowing etc.) and a quote of the week. It was the only book we had used that format on and the most successful discussion we have ever had. At the time, we had a few members that were very familiar with the Sil and most that were reading it for the first time so we found that format was helpful for those first time readers. We did a chapter every two weeks but found by 3/4 of the way through the book we had lost the interest of many members because it was taking to long to go through. We doubled up the really small chapters but it still took nearly a year to go through. So maybe a week a chapter would keep the interest a bit more.
Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2009 10:05
I agree, a chapter a week is fine, but the really long ones like...I think it was Beren and Luthien is a long chapter to take a little bit longer. I think i asked before in another thread if I could post my own sketches for the fun of it. I think that we should allow people here that like to draw to share their works too for fun ^_^.

I think keeping the same format of things like quote of the week and questions are nice and all but maybe we should, as Dolwen said have places for first time readers to ask questions of people that have read it already. I know reading it the first time can be horribly confusing and difficult because of the sheer mass of names and lack of many character descriptions as far as appearance goes D:.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2009 10:20
I agree with Elanor. A chapter a week unless its a long one. This is my first time to participate in the book club, but the previous format looks pretty good to me...

We can't take too on each chapter though; just like Dolwen said. That is probably why most people lose interest.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: June 08, 2009 04:25
This is my first time participating in the book club as well

taking a chapter a week sounds good: enough time to both read and discuss
although, yes, some chapters are decidedly longer and may need a bit more time
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 08, 2009 05:12
I like your idea Dolwen, but I'll definitely need help with the Author questions. I have a lot of trouble coming up with that type. Perhaps someone from your Realm would like handle them?
One week per chapter should be good for most of the chapters.
For each chapter we discuss members will be free add their own questions and to link to their own illustrations.
I freely admit that I will use the 'Topped ' threads from the archived Silmarillion discussion, for quick reference and for illustrations but I'll pose my own questions and chapter quotes.
There are a lot of good ideas in those threads and using them will give us ( especially me) a bit of a jump start.

Would June 22nd be acceptable as a starting date?

[Edited on 9/6/2009 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: June 08, 2009 05:19
Sounds good to me. This will be my first time in the book club... and my first book club since becoming an admin! I'm looking forward to it. Thanks also for having the member illustration links allowed- that was going to be my suggestion.

Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: June 09, 2009 02:38
I will post in my realm and see if anyone is interested. The member that originally did the author questions isn't around anymore.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2009 04:20
June 22 sounds great to me.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: June 09, 2009 06:38
yes, June 22 works for me
allows people to finish whatever they're currently reading
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 09, 2009 06:46
I have to mark that on the calender I'm such a forgetful person. Can't wait.
thrain
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2009 09:23
Sounds great to me ^^
Just finished the Sill and will be glad to reread it again.
Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2009 09:51
Sounds fair *marks the date*. I would've finished Unfinished tales within the week but i'm so busy with two classes D: alas!

This is also my first time participating but i'm super excited and ready to be involved as much as i can with the time alloted to me xD.
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 09, 2009 11:34
June 22 is great. This'll be my first Book Club, too.
Elsendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2009 07:15
Ooh, a Book Club! :love:

I'd like to try joining and participating, but I'm undergoing some computer issues right now...somehow logging into anything, sending emails, or posting messages has become something my laptop can't handle.

But if it works I'd like to get involved. :love:
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 02:23
The Sil can be a really challenging read. I'm looking forward to exchanging views and ideas about it with people here!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 08:58
I'm happy to read what everyone else is reading. The Sil is just fine. I'll be there.
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 06:13
I would like to be involved in the book club but I am going to camp. Since it usually only takes me 3 days max. to read any book I'll just catch up wherever you are in it after camp.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
Aran_Quendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 07:56
Yeah, this is my first time in the book club too, I have always looked at it from the outside and thought of doing it, but it seems I always time it in the middle of whatever everyone is reading. Anyway, those formats sound great, I think that as long as there is time and place for discussion, it will be great

I like pictures and art, although my skills are somewhat lacking, can't wait!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 09:17
When does this start again?
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 10:15
June 22. Only six more days!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 10:18
We will start on Monday June 22nd and there should soon be a news posting to that effect.

Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 11:13
I would like to be involved in the book club but I am going to camp. Since it usually only takes me 3 days max. to read any book I'll just catch up wherever you are in it after camp.

I wouldn't suggest reading it that fast. it's a lot of information to try and take in so quickly. I'm a fast reader myself and yeah xD! If you still want to try that then good luck ;D. (if you're only missing one or two chapters than you should be just fine lol but don't try reading the whole thing in 3 days you'll fry your brain lulz).
Calamornië
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2009 09:22
A chapter a week sounds great. I'm a fast reader and it's summer vacation, so the longer chapters really aren't an issue for me. This is my first book club, though, so I really can't comment on the best way to run it. For now I'll just go with the flow.

[Edited on 20/6/2009 by Calamornië]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email