Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week- Valaquenta- 29/6/2009
on: June 29, 2009 12:39
When Manwe there ascends his throne and looks forth, if Varda is beside him, he sees further than all other eyes, through mist, and through darkness, and over the leaues of the sea. And if Manwe is with her, Varda hears more clearly than all other ears the sound of voices that cry from east to west, from the hills, and the valleys, and from the dark places that Melkor has made upon earth.

Does this suggest anything to you?'

[Edited on 29/6/2009 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- Valaquenta- 29/6/2009
on: June 29, 2009 06:04
This quote means that Manwë and Varda become the sky when they sit together. In Greek mythology the sun, Helios, is a gossip because he sees and hears everything, since Manwë and Varda are the sky Valar when together they can see and hear everything under the sky.
Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2009 09:49
I just wanted to say, i really like how it says that when they are together it enhances their abilities. In other ways, the other couples seem to have similar connections. Like say Aule and Yavanna, Aule being associated with earth and Yavanna with plants. The two really work together well ^_^. I'm pretty sure they were all matched up in such a manner. I've found myself thinking about this before but never having the time to make those connections with all of the couples or the relatives.
Calamornië
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2009 09:15
I think that quote means that Manwë and Varda perfect each other. Elanor_the_elf phrased it perfectly when she said that they enhance each other's abilities.
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: July 03, 2009 12:17
I personally think that Tolkien may have been suggesting that a good marriage produces good results. As the saying goes - behind every good man is a good woman. LOL! Manwe's powers are enhanced, and completed, when Varda joins him. Aule's earth powers are also complemented by Yavanna's. Each Vala couple mesh perfectly- designed that way.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2009 07:45
I agree with what has been said. I'd like to add also that I believe Tolkien wanted to state that no Vala alone could hope to outreach him/herself (like Melkor wanted) - but they would need the help of other Valar.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: July 05, 2009 12:05
I think Tolkien was at great pains to present marriage as a partnership in which the talents of two people combine to produce an effect on the world about them, that goes far beyond the production of offspring. Thus he begins with the Valar, who are "espoused" to the greater purposes of Iluvatar and acting together become greater than the sum of their being.

I've probably not put that very well.
Joanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2009 08:18
I agree with you. I think that this quote demonstrates very well that cooperation is necessary for good results and that even the most capable persons need it. And that married people (lovers...) should are together a hole!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email