Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quenta Silmarillion III.4. Of Eldamar and the Princes of Eldalië
on: August 05, 2009 04:31
I'm going to post Figwits original questions this week , as I'm afraid that I've been a bit too busy since returning from vacation to come up with any good new questions of my own.

Questions

1. Why is it so important for the Valar to gather all the Elves to Aman?

2. What could the symbolic meaning be of the sundering of the Elves? How does this reflect in the cities and places where they choose to live?

3. How do you see the role of Ulmo and Ossë in all of this?

4. In this chapter, some major characters are already introduced. Based on this chapter alone what do you think of Fëanor and his sons? Which other character stood out for you?

Chapter summery can be found in Elrond's Library.

PbHf's Quote of the Week deals with the Noldor and their craft.

Masters In Mythology deals with The Lineage of the Two Trees.

[Edited on 6/8/2009 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Quenta Silmarillion III.4. Of Eldamar and the Princes of Eldalië
on: August 15, 2009 09:27
1.Why is it so important for the Valar to gather all the Elves to Aman?

Well, at least it seems to be important to the Valar … or most of them. I think it was a terrible mistake myself.

2. What could the symbolic meaning be of the sundering of the Elves? How does this reflect in the cities and places where they choose to live?

For Tolkien the sundering was his device for exploring linguistic division and the development of dialects, but sundering has to have a historical framework … something has to cause it and fortunately for us, it gave rise to the whole of Tolkien’s legendarium. The differing locations and environments influenced the linguistic changes, as did the differing degrees of isolation.

3 How do you see the role of Ulmo and Ossë in all of this?

Ulmo seems to be the only one who gets the picture. He often takes decisive action, as we shall see, but whether in communication with Ilúvatar is not always clear.

4. In this chapter, some major characters are already introduced. Based on this chapter alone what do you think of Fëanor and his sons? Which other character stood out for you?

Feanor in this chapter appears as a powerful eldest son who with his own sons forms a wandering clan intent on knowledge and power. Other than sheer curiosity their motivation is as yet obscure.

The other outstanding character is of course, Galadriel.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email