Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post III.6 of Feanor and the unchaining of Melkor
on: August 10, 2009 02:18
The departure of Miriel.

1 What caused the departure of Miriel? Ws it her own error or did Feanor take too much of her when he developed? Could she have healed if she allowed more time?
2 What sorts of future problems could be caused by her departure and Finwe's remarriage?

Feanor

3) Why did Feanor not like Indis, Fingolfin, and Finarfin? Could it have been due to feelings of guilt?

Melkor

4) When Melkor promisd to aid the Valar and help heal the damage he had caused , was their any truth whatsoever in his words, or was he, at that point, incapable of and indifferent to, truthfulness?

starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: III.6 of Feanor and the unchaining of Melkor
on: August 11, 2009 05:58
No one replied? Okay then,
1 What caused the departure of Miriel? Was it her own error or did Feanor take too much of her when he developed? Could she have healed if she allowed more time?

It's possible that the birth of Feanor exhausted her to the point of illness, I'm not sure that Feanor literally took some of her spirit, but rather took all her strength. It's also possible that she experienced post-partum syndrome, growing depressed along with any exhaustion, eventually giving up. I think she shouldn't have given up so easily
2 What sorts of future problems could be caused by her departure and Finwe's remarriage?

Her death could affect Finwe in that he is left feeling lonely, and in his grief does not consider the consequences of seeking companionship from someone else not long after. Also, in theory, I would not put it past some people to blame Feanor for the death of his mother. This could leave Feanor feeling guilty that it was his fault she died.

3) Why did Feanor not like Indis, Fingolfin, and Finarfin? Could it have been due to feelings of guilt?

I think it is not uncommon for a child that has had a parent die to be angry at the "invaders" that the remaining parent has invited into their life. Feanor may have felt that his father was being disrespectful to Miriel, and that by taking a wife after, it sent a message to him that his mother would never come back. Feanor had been the sole receiver of his father's attention and love so when an addition three come into the family he could become angry at his half-brothers and Indis for taking away the attention and love of his father. In a way, he might feel he has lost his father too.
4) When Melkor promisd to aid the Valar and help heal the damage he had caused , was their any truth whatsoever in his words, or was he, at that point, incapable of and indifferent to, truthfulness?

At that point, in my opinion, I think he was just trying to owe up to the Valar to avoid punishment and unwanted attention, playing the submissive, reformed captive role so he could buy himself time and form plans in revenge. I don't think he had any thoughts of helping. Although everything I've written is mostly speculation.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: August 13, 2009 05:55
1 What caused the departure of Miriel? Was it her own error or did Feanor take too much of her when he developed? Could she have healed if she allowed more time?
Feanor's spirit was unusually strong, so perhaps that increased the exhaustion, etc. felt by Miriel so much that she couldn't bear the thought of going through that again. Given enough time, she probably would have healed, but it would have required a very long time, even by elvish standards. However, at the time, Miriel felt as if she would never heal.

more later
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: August 15, 2009 09:42

Tolkien tells us (somewhere) that elf mothers often have a fore-sense concerning their children and perhaps Miriel apart from her physical and spiritual exhaustion could not bear to watch the unfolding of her son’s life. I doubt if she could have healed anyway. All her strength had passed to Feanor.

The usual problems of step-families … (but with knobs on!)

I doubt if Feanor had a single guilty bone in his body!

4) When Melkor promised to aid the Valar and help heal the damage he had caused , was their any truth whatsoever in his words, or was he, at that point, incapable of and indifferent to, truthfulness?

I think Melkor was just incapable of recognising truth from falsehood. Everything he did and said was in pursuance of his own ends … and from well before the creation of Arda. Any truth he told was simply because a lie was unnecessary at that point. I don’t believe he had any intention of making amends to anyone … ever.
Sitara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2009 11:22
Hi. I'm new around here and, on top of that, I'm not an English speaker either. So, firstly, I should apologize for any grammar mistakes or improper use of words and I hope I'm not going to hurt your eyes too much. But the topic is simply enthralling in my opinion and I couldn't resist.

1. What caused the departure of Miriel? Was it her own error or did Feanor take too much of her when he developed? Could she have healed if she allowed more time?

I believe everyone would agree that Feanor is a singular case. According to Tolkien, his likeness has never again appeared in Arda and it never will. Therefore, it's perfectly understandable from my point of view that carrying and giving birth to Feanor had exhausted Miriel and brought her to the brink of fading. I can understand that bearing the Spirit of Fire required an enormous amount of both spiritual and physical strength and, literally, she was drained.

As for her healing...now begins the baffling part. The published Silmarillion tells us nothing more about her after the passing into the Halls of Namo. However, the HoME books...firmly decided to never return to bodily life in Aman (as was her right as an Elda), Miriel agreed to remain forever unhoused as Finwe could take another spouse. But, later, presumably after the Darkening and the subsequent disaster, she ended up yearning to live again and, for this to happen, Finwe decided to be him the one who should remain forever within the Halls. In the end, Miriel was accepted among Vaire's handmaiden while Finwe and Feanor would remain in the care of Namo until Dagor Dagorath.

If this unfolding of the events is indeed accurate, personally, I find myself flummoxed.

2. What sorts of future problems could be caused by her departure and Finwe's remarriage?

Much more serious that it would seem, I'm afraid. Here it's about much more than just the dislike of an only child towards his step-mother and step-siblings. Aman was called the Blessed Realm, was it not? From this poin on, Miriel's departure was meant to be forever the reminder that sometimes healing cannot be found in Aman. The first shadow to mar forever the bliss of Aman. A paradigm shift. Or, in other words, the first step upon the path that would end only on the slopes of Ered Wethrin.

3. Why did Feanor not like Indis, Fingolfin, and Finarfin? Could it have been due to feelings of guilt?

That would be one of the afore-mentioned problems. Indis and children were another reminder, albeit unwillingly and innocently. Being gifted with the mightiest body and mind of the Eruhini doesn't come without a price, in my opinion. I'd like to add that's entirely possible to have a great mind without having enough wisdom to temper it. Feanor is the perfect example.

4. When Melkor promised to aid the Valar and help heal the damage he had caused , was their any truth whatsoever in his words, or was he, at that point, incapable of and indifferent to, truthfulness?

Unfortunately, I cannot remember anything to give me a flicker of hope that Melkor was truthful, even a bit, when he made that promise. No, as much as it pains me, in my opinion, he left the prison only with thoughts of revenge , added to his earlier goals of conquest. Not to mention his lust after the Light of the Trees, awakened in his heart even before his imprisonement.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email