Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week- aug 18/09 Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor.
on: August 17, 2009 05:16
This is another quote that easily applies to more than just this book

Concerning Melkor's lies to the Elves.
But he that sows lies in the end shall not lack of a harvest, and soon he may rest from toil while others reap and sow in his stead.

(I can think of many occasions in recent history where this quote has proved true, but most of them would lead to discussions inappropriate to this forum.)

When Feanor repeated Melkor's ies and said that he would deliver the Noldor from thraldom, was he just using stories that he knew to be untrue?
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- aug 18/09 Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor.
on: August 17, 2009 10:32
I think that Fëanor really believed Melkor's propaganda, and his dislike for his half-brothers made it easy for him to think that they really were plotting against him. Also, in his pride, madness, and arrogance - the Old English word ofermod, approximately meaning unadulterated pride that goes to one's head, making one incautious, describes his mindset perfectly - he really believed that he can and will lead the Noldor to "freedom" as well as get his jewels back.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week- aug 18/09 Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor.
on: August 19, 2009 03:04
Firstly, I think that ofermod is a wonderful word that should be revived for modern usage.

As to the question, I think that Feanor had begun to look under every bush for someone or something that would somehow be against him. I think he truly believed that his people were being oppressed and, in his extreme ofermod. that no one other than himself should ever have any authority over anyone or anything.
Sitara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2009 08:12
In my opinion, Fëanor never had a cunning bone in his body. Not even his enemies accused him of willingly spreading Melkor's lies about Aman. He was simply unable of doing this, in my view. No, Fëanor did genuinely think that the Valar were keeping them in the dark and thralls to their whims, and truth to be told, had I not known better, I would have given him right.

This is truly awful, to hate one (and Fëanor did hate Melkor with all his heart) and yet to find yourself agreeing with him.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: August 20, 2009 05:05
Fëanor did believe the lies that Melkor spread, but he didn't think they came from Melkor

Melkor would often walk among them, and amid his fair words others were woven, so subtly that many who heard them believed in recollection that they arose from their own thought

So, yes, he did believe that the Valar were holding them in thraldom
Despite his fiery spirit, I don't think that Fëanor would have revolted if he hadn't believed the lies
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: October 28, 2009 09:34
I don't think Feanor had a clue that Melkor was lying. But he did grasp eagerly at the false information because it gave him greater power. Thus Melkor exploited Feanor's weakness, as was his usual habit.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email