Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post III.8 Of the Darkening of Valinor
on: August 24, 2009 12:06
1) What kind of creature is Ungoliant? What powers does she have and how did she get them?

2) If the trees hadn't been destroyed at the very moment that Feanor and Fingolfin reconciled, would their emnity have really ended?

3) What did Melkor hope do accomplish with the destruction of the Trees? Did he feel that their destruction would tip the scales in his favor or did he not look beyond the deed to the future?
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: III.8 Of the Darkening of Valinor
on: August 25, 2009 04:20
3) What did Melkor hope do accomplish with the destruction of the Trees? Did he feel that their destruction would tip the scales in his favor or did he not look beyond the deed to the future?
I got the impression that Melkor just wanted to destroy the light which the Valar and the elves so loved. He did look to the future, at least enough to plan his escape. It didn't seem to be part of an ultimate strategy though, just a temporary retaliation. Though Melkor was no dummy, he didn't seem to be planning very far into the future.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2009 08:53
1) What kind of creature is Ungoliant? What powers does she have and how did she get them?

I'm not sure where Ungoliant came from since Morgoth did not create her. Maybe she is an imbodiment of evil coming from the void having a physical form on earth like the Valar. Her abilities seem to be spreading somewhat spider-like, having venom and spinning webs to catch prey in. She also seems to have the ability to spread decay and despair as well as the ability to install fear into anything she likes (even Morgoth was afraid of her). I think her abilities are just a result of her physical manifestation in Middle-earth, just like Morgoth gained certain aspects once he turned his concerns toward himself.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: December 09, 2009 11:29

Ungoliant seems to be a Maia, a spirit “like unto the Valar but of lesser degree” but has been corrupted by Melkor, possibly before they entered Arda. I tend to think he found her out in the Void when he went searching for the Flame Imperishable, and promised her light if she accompanied him to Arda. Once in Arda she felt trapped in the spider form she had taken and rejected him.

Whether her dark outpourings were her own doing or a result of her corrupt form and character I don’t know, but she certainly had the power to manipulate that darkness and to weave and shape it to her own and Melkor’s advantage.

2) If the trees hadn't been destroyed at the very moment that Feanor and Fingolfin reconciled, would their emnity have really ended?
I think Fingolfin would have found himself repeatedly in very difficult positions, because Feanor’s character would not have changed. I think Fingolfin would have done everything in his power to defuse problems as they arose, but ultimately as the ages passed, something would have had to give.

Melkor does not seek favour. His entire motivation was revenge, hurt and destruction. He set out to deliver as much pain and despair as possible, and with no thought of consequences for himself. It was a characteristic of Morgoth to be in denial about consequences, and he always seems outraged and petulant when confronted with his misdeeds, or the power of the other Valar.

It is interesting that once Ungoliant had drained the trees and the wells of their light, her swelling made Morgoth afraid. He hadn’t thought it through. She had just ingested the greatest light in Arda and thus had potential to turn it into an equal darkness. Just for a moment he thought she might overtake a Valar in power and increase her status.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email