Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LilySprings
Council Member
Send Message
Post Comment points
on: December 15, 2009 08:26
I'm not a new member ( which makes it sad that I don't this by the time I've been here a year and a half), but there was something that I've been wondering about. When I look at one of my comments or really anybody's, there's something on the information about me that says: score: 1. What is that? How do you earn those points?

Help is appreciated.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinliƫ - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Post RE: Comment points
on: December 16, 2009 09:56
Hi LilySprings,

I'm not sure how you managed to see what points other people have, I can't find those myself. But I think none the less you are referring to the User Points. To find out more about them, I'd like to advise you to go to 'My Account', which you can find on the tool bar on top of the window, and there to go to the tab 'User Points'. Your points as well as explanations on how to achieve them are displayed right there.

Errandir of Gondolin

PS: if these are not the points you were talking about, please let me know exactly where you saw those scores and I'll try to find out more, but I think you discovered the User Points.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
LilySprings
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2009 12:04
Thanks for the help.

As much as I would like to yes they are user points, I don't think they are.

The score doesn't match how many user points I have ( 7 for one, 1 for the other). Also I was reading in my comments setup and something in there about the points says: "Anonymous posts start at 0, logged in posts start at 1. Moderators add and subtract points."

gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 19, 2009 11:35
Hi,

Indeed you are right, I discovered now what you meant, and it has nothing to do with the user points. As far as I can make out, the 'score' in the comments on news articles (that's the only place where I've seen those scores pop up) is the amount of times you have posted a comment on that one news article. But I'd have to check to be sure.
I don't think it has anything to do with that last line you posted.
I'll try to explore further...

Errandir of Gondolin
LilySprings
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2009 11:33
The explanation you gave seems very possible.

Thanks so much, Gondolinian for researching this for me.

Sorry if it's such a bother.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: December 20, 2009 08:44
No bother at all, that's what I'm here for .
Will keep you posted if I find out more.

Errandir of Gondolin
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: December 23, 2009 03:21
The score thing is something that isn't really used on this site -- basically, people could theoretically rate comments as being either trollish or insightful or whatever (a good rating, such as insightful would give you positive points, a negative rating would give you minus points). The higher the score is, presumably the more worthy of viewing. You could then personally set your own personal score limit to only view comments that have a 3 or higher (meaning that at least a couple other people found it worthy of reading), and thereby prevent yourself from seeing stupid or pointless comments.

It's all moot, though, as we don't have the ability to score comments turned on, even though you still see the score. If you're curious to see this in action, go to slashdot.org -- they use it a lot there.

[Edited on 12/24/2009 by Rivka]
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
LilySprings
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2009 04:06
That explains everything. Thanks a lot, Rivka. It's been bothering me for awhile.

And thanks for trying you're best to help, Gondolinian.

*Walks away happy*
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email