Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Ring of Words
on: April 15, 2010 07:20
I don't know if anybody has heard of this book, but it's about Tolkien as a philologist. It explained some of his history working with the Oxford English Dictionary and then the origin of some of the words he used such as hobbit, dwarves, elves, backarapper, mathom, etc...
Being a bookworm I absolutley loved it and want a copy of my own. One part that stuck out to me was the word 'bane'. In modern context it means an irritance or problem which is the definition I originally took it to be. But in the context Tolkien used it, 'Isuldur's Bane', it meant death or cause of death (which is the last definition of 'bane' in the dictionary and is marked as obsolete). I didn't know that's what it meant and was thrilled to learn it.
But then, I'm a word geek.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: The Ring of Words
on: April 15, 2010 09:07
Great stuff, Star! I have this book. You can get it from Amazon and it's well worth having.

As you've probably noticed I keep reminding folks that Tolkien used words in their original and archaic sense wherever possible and the experts misinterpret them at their peril ... which they often do. This book is a gem.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2010 07:31
Yep I got it from Amazon too. Can't wait to start reading it!
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: April 16, 2010 07:51
It might be helpful for those that are unfamiliar with this book if the title and author could be provided. Others might also be interested in reading it as well.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2010 08:03
A simple search and here you go:

"The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary" by Peter Gilliver, Jeremy Marshall and Edmund Weiner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Words-Tolkien-English-Dictionary/dp/0199568367

[Edited on 16/4/2010 by Ilandir]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: April 16, 2010 08:21
Thanks Ilandir. Sorry folks, I should have addressed that at the start. My bad.

I'm looking forward to having a lot of fun with this thread.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email