Register

Author Topic:
Charodian
Council Member
Send Message
Post My study tips for Quenya
on: May 04, 2010 08:20
Hello,

As I'm getting on with Quenya quite well (so I was told by Malinorne - thank you...), I thought, I'd try to share my method of studying with others. So here are my tips:

1. I read the lesson online aloud - well, at least I read all Quenya words and all sentences, that are important to remember or that I don't understand at once aloud.

2. I write the lesson down by hand in an exercise book, dictating the text aloud to myself. I do not print out the text, as I think, it's too easy to print a text without reading a word.

3. I write down the word list in a seperate exercise book (marked as "vocabulary") in three rows: the Quenya word - the Quenya word in transcription (german "Lautschrift") - the English translation. While doing that, I check the pronunciation and the stress, and read every Quenya word aloud several times - so I get a "feeling" for the pronunciation.

4. I do the exercises in my exercise book. Therefore I use my handwritten Lessons and my vocabulary. Now my seperate exercise books proof worthy: I don't have a pile of loose sheets, but all the lessons in one book in the correct order. That makes it easier to find, what I'm looking for. And I don't have to scroll to and fro in the book, I'm just writing in, to look up a word in the vocabulary.

5. I do the exercises again online - not copy them - and check them back with my handwritten exercises. So I can find out mistakes.

6. When I think, I got it all right, I post the exercises.

Maybe that method seems a bit old style, but it works. It means, to use as many "channels" as possible to take the lessons in: reading - hearing - speaking - writing (= acting), and by that understanding and memorizing.

Of course, there's needed some time and concentration for that. You can't do it just in half an hour between supper and your next date, and not with your family around asking questions all the time. But I think, that's the way to learn a new language - it's work.

I can tell you by my own experience: You are rewarded, when you find yourself able to make sentences/texts in Quenya on your own - and if you start with small things, that comes soon.

I hope, my tips are helpful to some of you, and I'd like to hear about other methods to learn this wonderful language.

Greetings from
Charodian
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
Post RE: My study tips for Quenya
on: May 05, 2010 06:21
Thanks Charodian! I believe these are good study tips for any language
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2010 10:43
Wow, great tips, Charodian.

Malinornë, do you think this post could be "topped"?

[Edited on 4/6/2010 by Atánion]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: June 06, 2010 07:56
Excellent idea, Atánion!

If someone else has study tips to offer, you're welcome to post them in this thread

I know we have more tips posted already somewhere around here... might be time for a 'sping-cleaning'!
joseph 123
Council Member
Send Message
my form of studying yours is like that (in writing),just Im writing the whole workbook down
Ireth4Him
Council Member
Send Message
Wow! These are some great study tips. I'm still having problems with accent marks.
-Ireth
Malinornë
Send Message
Ireth, if you haven't already, please have a look at the posts in the 'accents and dots' thread. There are many different things to try, so hopefully you will find something that works for you.
baekhee22
Council Member
Send Message
Awesome thank you very much. Me and my friend have dicided to study the language together that why we can start speaking it.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
These are awesome tips. I'm going to do that too.

Another thing you can do [I did this with other languages] is use Excel to memorize the vocabulary and practice conjugations and stuff. I make a sheet for nouns, adjectives, verbs, and so on. And I type the foreign word on one column, the translation on another, the plural of that word on the next column, or, if a verb, the conjugation of present, future, past tense and etc. It helps a lot.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I write all of the lessons in a notebook, and then keep a seperate book for translations, so all of my resources are in one place that I can refer to.

I have finished my Sindarin Lessons, and am now beginning my Quenya studies. So I will be around this forum a lot. I look forward to learning to speak with you all!

~Maxie
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
hawkling
Council Member
Send Message
i just started learning because i love tolkein so much, and your tips really helped
Middle Earth or Bust!
Mirkwood_Queen
Council Member
Send Message
Really good tips thank you so much!
APH New Zealand
Council Member
Send Message
This is very helpful. Hantanyel and namarie.
Cheers, mate!
Nessadance
Council Member
Send Message
This are great tips! I'll be using them. Thanks!!
"His spouse is Nessa, the sister of Orome, and she also is lithe and fleetfooted. Deer she loves, and they follow her train whenever she goes in the wild; but she can outrun them, swift as an arrow with the wind in her hair. In dancing she delights, and she dances in Valimar on lawns of never-fading green."
sol_anor
Council Member
Send Message
I've been using the website Quizlet.com to make flashcards to study my vocabulary. There are lots of sets already on there that people have made if you search "Quenya"
Above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell / I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell. Image
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email