Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Post could Sauron unmake the one ring
on: August 18, 2010 01:39
We all know that when Sauron made his ring he poured his life and will into it so he could rule middle earth. the question i am asking is could Sauron actually destroy the one ring without destroying himself in the process.
Makil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: could Sauron unmake the one ring
on: August 23, 2010 11:39
I can't imagine why he would want to. With the ring on he becomes more powerfull than with it off.
I suspose if he wanted forgiveness from Eru he could drop the ring into the lava of Mount Doom.
I believe Mr. Tolkien said in one of the letters that if the ring were destroyed Sauron would just become a memory, just disappear.
Unfortunately I haven't known of too many very powerfull beings ready to give it all up LOL.
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2010 02:51
Well, he certainly wouldn't have done it if it made him more powerful, but I think that *if* he had wanted to do it, it might have been possible for him (and him only) to get the power "back into" him. I don't know how that would have worked, but as well as someone can smelt a gold object and regain the substance Au from it he, being a maia, might have been able to do the same with his power. And maybe put it somewhere else.
Makil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2010 05:16
Well I don't think it would have been any different . Wheather the ring was destroyed by Gollum/Chance or by Sauron's own hand. (um.er.. by his own will ).
When the ring is destroyed , Sauron is destroyed.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: October 11, 2011 11:09
I'm having second thoughts about this one. Sauron made the Ring with the sole purpose of commanding the other rings, and thus all the races of Middle Earth (except hobbits). If for some reason those rings had been destroyed would he still need the One? The quote from Tolkien above I assume refers to anyone else destroying it, not to Sauron unmaking it. Was the process reversible once it was no longer needed? Didn't its power come solely from Sauron? Any thoughts?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email