<< First1516171819Last >>
Author Topic:
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translation Help Needed!!
on: November 06, 2014 02:50
millerkh said:Hello all!

Newbie here, just looking for some help translating a line into Sindarin.. I've made some attempts myself, but what I've managed to come up with hasn't been accurate or acceptable :I

"So comes snow after fire and even dragons have their ending" is the line I've been attempting to conquer- perhaps a bit ambitious for a noob, but it means a lot to me! Any help would be appreciated tremendously(:

-Kels

Loss ab-dôl naur, a emlyg gerithar i vanadh dîn
Snow comes after fire, and dragons will have their final end

Loss = Snow
ab- = after
(t)dôl = comes
naur = fire
a = and
emlyg = dragons
gerithar = will have
i vanadh dîn = their final end (manadh = final end, fortune, doom)
joy666
Council Member
Send Message
Post equivalent of name Slávka in Sindarin
on: November 08, 2014 04:22
Thank you very much, you have made my day
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
@ Galadivren

That is!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! That's amazing!! Thank you so much!!
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
anakinthecat
Council Member
Send Message
Post A Walking Song
on: November 21, 2014 07:52
Hi everyone! I am getting a tattoo with part of "A Walking Song" (and what Pippin sings in the movie version) and I wanted to make sure that I had a correct translation. Is there anything that anyone would recommend changing, or does this look pretty accurate? I found several different versions of it on different websites, but from my very rudimentary knowledge, this one looked the closest. Thanks a lot!

Bar adel (Home is behind)
i 'ardhon mi nîf (The world in front[ahead])
a raid laew pado ennas (And there are many paths to tread)
trî dae (Through shadow)
anin rîw od fuin (To the edge of night)
ir elenath darthanner (When the stars are all kindled [alight])
hith a dhae (Mist and shadow)
faun a 'wath (Cloud and shade)
pân thinnathar, pân thinnathar (All shall fade, all shall fade)

Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I thought that looked awfully familiar... that's my translation from several months ago.

I would probably make a few tweaks, in fairness, particularly the line I always disliked:

i ardhon athan = the world beyond
instead of
i ardhon mi nîf = the world in front (as really, this doesn't make much sense as nîf = front, face)

Also had a temptation to change the final line to
Nadath thinnathar nadath thinnathar = All things will fade
but I'm undecided which nuance would be better.

[Edited on 11/22/2014 by Galadivren]
anakinthecat
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks a lot! I found a lot of bad ones, and since tattoos are fairly permanent, I wanted to make sure it was accurate - thanks so much!!
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Hi how would you say, "trouble" in elvish??
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Prestad = Trouble (noun of Presta- = to trouble, affect, disturb).
or
Trastad = Trouble, harassment (noun of Trasta- = to trouble, harass).

Depends which meaning you're going for!
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks so much!!
BriTheElf
Council Member
Send Message
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I'm a bit confused about the plural form of Dunadan. Man of the North. It conjugates to Dunedain, as I understand, but why not Dynenain? Does it have something to do with the proper noun prefix? I'm only on lesson five of the Sindarin Workbook, so maybe it is addressed later, but I was just curious =P

[Edited on 11/29/2014 by BriTheElf]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
The dún in Dúnedain comes from dûn = west.
When it was added to adan to form the compound the vowel shortened slightly from û to ú - thus it's already gone through changes and doesn't need to change again when going from the singular Dúnadan to the plural Dúnedain.
BriTheElf
Council Member
Send Message
Haha that's funny my first guess was West. Thank you so much that makes more sense.
Eternitie
Council Member
Send Message
Hello there! I was hoping to translate

"Together we will live forever," from The Fountain into Elvish.

I'm honestly still learning a lot about the languages in general so I'm not sure if this would work best in Sindarin or Quenya. It's a little overwhelming and I'm not sure if starting at a translation is the best place...

I tried using the dictionary available here and came up with "ongwë níra tennoio" which I think is Quenya and I have no idea if I'm even close haha. Any and all help/advice would be appreciated!

[Edited on 12/12/2014 by Eternitie]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Eternitie said:Hello there! I was hoping to translate

I'm honestly still learning a lot about the languages in general so I'm not sure if this would work best in Sindarin or Quenya. It's a little overwhelming and I'm not sure if starting at a translation is the best place...

I tried using the dictionary available here and came up with "ongwë níra tennoio" which I think is Quenya and I have no idea if I'm even close haha. Any and all help/advice would be appreciated!

Go-guiatham anuir = Together we will live forever

Go- = prefix meaning 'together'
cuiatham = we will live (changes to guiatham due to mutation)
anuir = for eternity
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I was hoping to translate "This is our fight too, dear"
I have no idea how to do it. I would be glad if someone could help me out!
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
PSK said:I was hoping to translate "This is our fight too, dear"
I have no idea how to do it. I would be glad if someone could help me out!

Going to give you a couple of options for this, with explanations.

Se i auth vîn eithro = This is our fight too

Se i vaeth vîn eithro = This is our battle too

The difference between auth and maeth is:
auth = a battle, involving many people
maeth = a fight between a few people, not many

As for the word 'dear', I would suggest adding onto the end one of these options:

gûr vuin = dear heart
melethenin = my love
mellonenin = my friend
meleth vuin = dear love
mellon vuin = dear friend
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! I will go for "Se i vaeth vîn eithro, melethenin"!
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Wallcroft
Council Member
Send Message
Not sure if this is the right place, but is there a translation for "Jerry"
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Wallcroft said:Not sure if this is the right place, but is there a translation for "Jerry"

I can translate the meaning of Jerry for you, but you need to pick one of the meanings I've found, as Jerry can be short for a few names:

May Jehovah exalt (from Jeremiah/Jeremy)
Spear warrior/ruler (from Gerald)
Sacred name (from Jerome)
Brother (from Germaine)

Which one of those is correct/would you like?
Eternitie
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren said:
Eternitie said:Hello there! I was hoping to translate

Go-guiatham anuir = Together we will live forever

Go- = prefix meaning 'together'
cuiatham = we will live (changes to guiatham due to mutation)
anuir = for eternity

It was wonderful of you to help me out with this, I really really appreciate it. From here, could I just transcribe it into Tengwar now and have it be correct? I know of a few online Tengwar places where you can type and it translates.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
You're most welcome

Some of the online transcribers are okay and give good results, some aren't so reliable, so I'd advise if you're going to use those you put the phrase into a few and see what comes out.

You could also ask Isildilme at this thread http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104703&start=2310 to either transcribe it for you or check the result from the online transcribers to make sure it isn't gibberish.
oirande
Council Member
Send Message
Hello folks,

I'll try to write a book on geometry in Sindarin to motivate and apply my sindarin studies.
Looks like I'll have to improvise some words.

My first problem is the title. I was thinking of "Parf Caint". For fun, I'd like an mystic-naturalistic approach to geometry.

Then I'd need to translate "point", "line", and polygons. It would be nice if polygons names could be somewhat regular: triangles, quadriangles, pentangles and so on.

Quenya: oira handë Tupi: oirandé (tomorrow)
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Is this of use from one of my lessons?

The attested words we have are Perin = Half and Canath = Quarter
We also have some reconstructions by David Salo for some of the other fractions:
Nelest = Third
Lebent = Fifth
Enaith = Sixth
Odost = Seventh
Tolost = Eighth
Nederth = Ninth
Caerth = Tenth

The attested word we have is Nelthil = Triangle, which literally means 'three points', Nel + Till
Using this as a basis, we can reconstruct the following:
Canthil = Quadrilateral
Lebthil = Pentagon
Enethil = Hexagon
Odothil = Heptagon
Tolothil = Octagon
Nederthil = Nonagon
Caenthil = Decagon
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Hello! I was wondering if someone could translate this for me?

Lle naa vanima
Lle ume quel

Amin mela lle

I'm not sure if it's Sindarin or Qyuena, but my dad sent it too me, after I showed him my grades, which where good if that helps anything. Thanks a million!!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
It's Grey Elvish, or 'Grelvish'. It's a mashup of Sindarin, Quenya and random inserted pieces.

http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/language/phrase.htm

Your phrases are on here
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, I see. Thanks so much!!
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
I am trying to translate the knife game song into Sindarin. I have been able to get most of it, but would like comments on what I have done and suggestions for what I am missing. I will put what I am missing in parenthesis.

(Oh) savin leberath nîn
i higil (goes chop, chop, chop)

pe dewin mi lhaind
leber nîn said

a pe riston leber nîn
etheriatha i iâr

dan eno delion (this game)
(because) ha i theleth

(Oh chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop)
heria carin lagor

a pe riston leber nîn
cam nîn sirin iâr

and the original english:

Oh, I have all my fingers
the knife goes chop, chop, chop

If I miss the spaces in between
my fingers will come off

And if I hit my fingers
the blood will soon come out

but all the same I play this game
cause that's what its all about

Oh chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop
I'm picking up the speed

and if I hit my finger
then my hand will start to bleed
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
tiger667 said:I am trying to translate the knife game song into Sindarin. I have been able to get most of it, but would like comments on what I have done and suggestions for what I am missing. I will put what I am missing in parenthesis.

(Oh) savin leberath nîn
i higil (goes chop, chop, chop)

pe dewin mi lhaind
leber nîn said

a pe riston leber nîn
etheriatha i iâr

dan eno delion (this game)
(because) ha i theleth

(Oh chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop)
heria carin lagor

a pe riston leber nîn
cam nîn sirin iâr

and the original english:

Oh, I have all my fingers
the knife goes chop, chop, chop

If I miss the spaces in between
my fingers will come off

And if I hit my fingers
the blood will soon come out

but all the same I play this game
cause that's what its all about

Oh chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop
I'm picking up the speed

and if I hit my finger
then my hand will start to bleed

Blimey, this is different! (in a good way I hasten to add, I've never heard of this song before).

I'll give you my translation first, then comments on your translation and why the two differ (if they do):

Ae, sevin i lebir nîn bân = Ah, I possess all my fingers
i higil pêd risto, risto, risto = the dagger says cut, cut, cut

Pe dewin in laind = If I miss the spaces
i leber nîn osgarnen = my fingers will have been amputated

A be riston i lebir nîn = And if I cut my fingers
i [agar/iâr/hereg] ethiriatha = the blood will flow out

ach dan telion i delien hen
= but yet I play this game
an he i theled = for this is the intention

Ae risto, risto, risto, risto, risto, risto, risto
= Oh cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut
Riston lim, horthon = I cut quickly, I speed up

a be riston i leber nîn = and if I cut my finger
[agar/iâr/hereg] ethiriatha od i gam nîn = blood will flow from my hand

There's three words for blood so I gave you all of them in brackets.

Leberath = all fingers. Not just yours, but all fingers everywhere, so I gave you i lebir nîn bân as this means 'all my fingers' without including everybody elses too!

Lhand is the Noldorin, older Sindarin word for the later Sindarin Land. If it's meant to be an old song (i.e. First Age) then use Lhand, otherwise, use Land.
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
I am going to "defend" my original lines where you changed them, mainly to explain why I did it so I can be informed of any mistakes from my source (either actual or misreadings) to make my future translations better, or possibly you just chose a different way of saying some of the things. Multiple options are good because it would give choices to better get to the original syllable flow. Most syllables in the original get punctuated with a "thunk" from the knife (ex. I* have* all* my* fin*gers*, * * the knife* goes* chop* chop* chop* * * ...).

For the class plural I used, I was basing it off the example in Pedin Edhellen of "sellath dîn" meaning all his daughters, so I figured "leberath nîn" would be all my fingers.

If I wanted to keep the preposition "mi" with "in laind" (I forgot a "the", thank you, also mistook the parenthical note in dictionary for a unique plural instead of older form) to add a syllable, would it go before or after "in"?

I had put "etheriatha" because I thought a future tense verb before the subject was supposed to increase the certainty of the statement, is this missinformation?

While the gerund didn't make sense to me at first for intention I can see it now (it still sounds weird but so does a lot of direct translation, so). But I was wondering if "i theleth" would still be understood, am I doing it wrong in making a noun describing the noun resulting from doing the verb? Or is it just that that mehtod should only ever be a last resort?

For syllable flow I think I will reduce it to just 4 "risto" but thank you for the word to use there.

Would "cam nîn siria adh iâr" be understood for the end(I suppose I forgot the "adh" before), it is shorter so helps with the word flow. It also changes up the way it is said instead of using etheria- again (similar to how the original goes from "blood will come out" to "start to bleed".

Thank you for the help. And please understand I am not defending myself because I want to be right (which I have done in the past, and I apologize to the forum for), I am simply explaining myself to understand why I was wrong.
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
tiger667 said:

For the class plural I used, I was basing it off the example in Pedin Edhellen of "sellath dîn" meaning all his daughters, so I figured "leberath nîn" would be all my fingers.

Mmm okay. It gives it a slightly different nuance to me, but if that's what you're going for, fair enough!

If I wanted to keep the preposition "mi" with "in laind" (I forgot a "the", thank you, also mistook the parenthical note in dictionary for a unique plural instead of older form) to add a syllable, would it go before or after "in"?

Actually they combine. Mi + i = Min, and for a following L, you don't need to mutate it.

I had put "etheriatha" because I thought a future tense verb before the subject was supposed to increase the certainty of the statement, is this missinformation?

Eh... it's certainly not something I've ever used or actually heard. Pedin Edhellen - Thorsten Renk's course? It's a good source, don't mistske me, but it is several years outdated.

While the gerund didn't make sense to me at first for intention I can see it now (it still sounds weird but so does a lot of direct translation, so). But I was wondering if "i theleth" would still be understood, am I doing it wrong in making a noun describing the noun resulting from doing the verb? Or is it just that that mehtod should only ever be a last resort?

In Sindarin the gerund is the noun, so 'theled' is the noun 'intention, meaning'. It can take a while to get your head around if English is your first language.

Would "cam nîn siria adh iâr" be understood for the end(I suppose I forgot the "adh" before), it is shorter so helps with the word flow. It also changes up the way it is said instead of using etheria- again (similar to how the original goes from "blood will come out" to "start to bleed".

Yes, that makes perfect sense to me, I just worded it differently. Ideally you would need the direct object, making it i gam nîn, but there is an argument it can be omitted in poetry, and what is song, but poetry.

Thank you for the help. And please understand I am not defending myself because I want to be right (which I have done in the past, and I apologize to the forum for), I am simply explaining myself to understand why I was wrong.

Most welcome! Always happy to explain myself also.
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
Pedin Edhellen - Thorsten Renk's course? It's a good source, don't mistske me, but it is several years outdated.

That might explain my confusion, I have always seen the gerund as specifically the verb with 'ing' (such as the singing, or the dancing). Can you suggest a more recent source for learning, preferably a pdf or similar thing that I don't need to be online for? This site is great, and I mean to go through more of the lessons here, but find myself wanting to take care of other things when I have internet access.

Also, has anyone made a source to look up rhyming words in elvish, to assist with poetry?
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, certainly:
DreamingFifi's site doesn't have a PDF, but it's a very good resource:
http://your-sindarin-textbook.realelvish.net/ - these are the lessons from RealElvish.net
Or you could use mine:
http://sindarinlessons.weebly.com/ There's a PDF download on the right hand side.
I did actually make a Rhyming Dictionary quite a while ago:
http://sindarinlessonsforum.boards.net/thread/16/dictionary-rhymes The link should still work, if it doesn't let me know.

I hope some of those help!
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you very much, those rhymes will help a lot. I plan on using sindarin for spell verbals of a LARP character I have in mind, and if I can do them in rhyme then they will sound even better. Now I need to print out that new PDF of lessons and start reading through it. It will give me something to do before bed that doesn't involve a video screen.
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
Where is a good place to post a file, I have just taken the time to do something I have been meaning to. I have listed all the verbs from my sindarin dictionary alphabetically in english, to make it easier to look through (five pages is easier to look through then the whole dictionary). I wanted to share it with others who might find it useful.
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
What about Dropbox? I use it all the time; you add a file to a public folder and then share the link to the file.
<< First1516171819Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email