Author Topic:
Maranwe_Daughterof_Elrond
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, wow... well thank you either way.
shurikrai
Council Member
Send Message
Post Could anyone help me translate this?
on: June 27, 2017 11:01
My friend sent this to me and i'd really like to know what it says. Not sure if it's Quenya or Sindarin or just Elvish gibberish.
https://i.redd.it/fmzxir4s1a6z.jpg
Thanks a bunch!!
Lokyt
Council Member
Send Message
No meaning at all, I'm sorry. These are just some random characters put together.
Meili
Council Member
Send Message
Perhaps someone can help me... I can look up words, but putting together sentences is beyond my understanding. I would want it to be correct and I am not very good with languages. Looking for a translation for the phrase:

"I am my beloveds and my beloved is mine."

Of course I understand some things don't translate exact. Thanks very much for your time.

[Edited on 07/13/2017 by Meili]
Arevelion
Council Member
Send Message
May I have a translation of "Civilization" and "civilized."
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
Hello old friends! I was hoping someone could check this out and let me know if it actually translates to the word "always."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/da/16/31/da1631fbbcee1c574567503ce9de4114--ring-finger-tattoos-wedding-ring-tattoos.jpg
St1cky8
Council Member
Send Message
Would anyone be able to check this translation of The Riddle of Strider for me please? I believe it's in Tengwar but I'd love if so one could confirm how accurate it is

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/41/a8/a2/41a8a271117e275d7e0029027701c117--elvish-tattoo-a-tattoo.jpg
Lokyt
Council Member
Send Message
St1cky8 said:Would anyone be able to check this translation of The Riddle of Strider for me please?
Well...
1) It's not a translation, the text is still in English. It's a transcription.
2) Not happy to say it, but the transcription is not correct at all. Elvish letters represent sounds, not characters of other alphabets (Latin in this case), so what you have here would read like "ahl thaht is gohld doh ehs noht glit tehr" etc.
merp0012
Council Member
Send Message
Post Help!
on: November 08, 2017 11:14

Hey! May be you can help me.
Right now i am translating Tolkiens poem "Shadow-bride" to Quenya and Sindarin.

Can someone make me the correct Sindarin translation of:

"There was a man who dwelt alone"

Thank you
- Embla.
Ealendil
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings.

Been a while since last I posted a request. We are working on another concert theme for LOTRO on the Laurelin server (music lovers that we are, and RPing elves of course).

This time something epic, and demanding a good title. We were thinking in the direction of capturing the war of the elves throughout Beleriand and 2nd age, like you would write a book titled "The Wars of the Elves", elves here as a group/nation of people, and the wars treated individually.

Giving it a thought, I came up with the followoing attempt "I Oeth en-Ellath", is this a good approximation of the theme above?

/Ealendil

[Edited on 02/11/2018 by Ealendil]
Doc_Octorok
Council Member
Send Message
Could anyone confirm these Sindarin translations of the following:
1) my daughter's names converted to Sindarin: Wren --> Aewiel (Bird-Daughter), Sage --> Saeleth (Wise Girl)

2) "in the end the darkness is a small thing" --> "Mi i methed i dúath bach niben". But with mutation, I was told it would be "Mi i vethed i dhúath vach niben"
(also, side comment, does anyone know if mutations are reflected in tengwar script? Like would I transcribe "v" instead of "m" in methed?)

Thank you!
bekster129
Council Member
Send Message
Post Sindarin Translation Check
on: June 15, 2023 11:00
Hi Everyone!

I was trying to translate “There is always hope” into Tengwar but the automatic translators (as you probably know) typically translate the English phonetically. So I was trying to translate it first into Sindarin.

I came up with “ennas na ui estel,” is that right?

Thank you so much!
Elhath Reborn
Council Member
Send Message
Post Sindarin Translation Check
on: August 24, 2023 10:35
bekster129 said:
I was trying to translate “There is always hope” into Tengwar but the automatic translators (as you probably know) typically translate the English phonetically. So I was trying to translate it first into Sindarin.

I came up with “ennas na ui estel,” is that right?

Either that, or more shortly with hair ui estel (impersonal *hair < *khirjā "one finds" ). AFAIK, the present tense of "to be" (i.e. "is, are" ) can be left untranslated similar to Hebrew and Russian, so one can drop the word nā̆.

[Edited on 08/25/2023 by Elhath Reborn]
Elhath Reborn
Council Member
Send Message
Doc_Octorok said:Could anyone confirm these Sindarin translations of the following:
1) my daughter's names converted to Sindarin: Wren --> Aewiel (Bird-Daughter), Sage --> Saeleth (Wise Girl)

I see no issue with these.

2) "in the end the darkness is a small thing" --> "Mi i methed i dúath bach niben". But with mutation, I was told it would be "Mi i vethed i dhúath vach niben"

I'm not 100% sure that translating "in the end" word-for-word into Sindarin would not constitute a slightly excessive Modern Anglicism. Perhaps rather say erin methed "at the end-moment" or ab vethedath "after (all) ends" for "ultimately, in the end"?

(also, side comment, does anyone know if mutations are reflected in tengwar script?

I would imagine so.

[Edited on 08/25/2023 by Elhath Reborn]
*+.Engolwen.+*
Council Member
Send Message
Arevelion said:May I have a translation of "Civilization" and "civilized."

I could not find these, but you could try combining city and person (faithful) I recommend looking at Sindarin Hub's English-Sindarin dictionary PDF. (free) If you are lenient about translation. dôr or dor is land in Sindarin, and city (aboveground) is caras, and finally, people is lî.
Man, the fathers of n. sing. adanadar
Man, the race of n. adan
man n. benn, dîr I (arch.)
man, one-handed n. erchammon
man, mortal n. firion
man, wild n. rhavan (according to Sindarin Hub's dictionary)
I really recommend Sindarin Hub's English-Sindarin dictionary PDF. It is completely free!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Sindarin Hub mentioned in the previous post.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
<< First2021222324
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email