Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Post Studying Tolkien's HOME series with the Tolk-lings
on: January 21, 2011 11:45
News from the Tolkien Library site: In case you ever wanted to dig into Tolkien's History of Middle-earth (HOME) series, now's your chance:

"Some former students of Dr Dimitra Fimi's excellent Tolkien Myth and Middle Earth in Context through the University of Wales (UWIC) have banded together as a group called the Tolk-lings to start a chapter by chapter exploration of the twelve volume bedrock of Tolkien scholarship The History of Middle-earth.

Christopher Tolkien's twelve volume History of Middle-earth series is a very important source for charting the development of Tolkien's legendarium from its genesis in 1915 to his final works in the 1960-70's. This group's objective is to read one chapter of HOME a week starting with the early versions of the Legendarium in The Book of Lost Tales and discuss the the themes and narrative content of that chapter and how it links to the overall development of the legendarium. All are welcome to participate and explore!"

Link: Study HOME with the Tolk-lings

The first basic reading list for the Book of Lost Tales I would be:

Week 1 - Preface and Cottage of Lost Play
Week 2 - The Music of the Ainur
Week 3 - The Coming of the Valar and The Building of Valinor
Week 4 - The Chaining of Melko
Week 5 - The Coming of the Elves and the Making of Kor
Week 6 - The Theft of Melko and the Darkening of Valinor
Week 7 - The Flight of the Noldoli
Week 8 - The Tale of the Sun and the Moon
Week 9 - The Hiding of Valinor
Week 10 - Gilfanon's Tale: The Travail of the Noldoli and the Coming of Mankind
Week 11 - A Week to discuss basic themes and posts about Lost Tales 1

Discussion has already begun here: Cottage of Lost Play

I've read through HOME once but I've always wanted to give it another go. Anybody else?
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Studying Tolkien's HOME series with the Tolk-lings
on: January 22, 2011 05:47
This is wonderful Linwe! Thank you.

I've just started at the beginning again and am seeing new things all the time. I've read it straight through once, dipped into it frequently since, used the separate index for intensive research into particular things/people (along with the index to 'Letters'.) I feel that HoME is often neglected.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: January 22, 2011 11:54
The timing is good because I had just been thinking of diving in again, so this will give me the nudge I needed. I've done the once-through and then the periodic happy dipping. I do need to get my hands on that separate Index (it's on my Amazon wish-list). I LOVE indexes.
I agree though..HoME is too often neglected---it can be daunting, yes, but worth the trouble and time.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: September 10, 2011 10:26
*bump
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2011 10:13
Thanks for posting this!