Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Help Finding An Avatar
on: April 27, 2011 06:02
I kinda need help finding an avatar that is just about the right size for this website. I am looking for Legolas avatars. I tried using one, but it won't work, even when I tried to resize it in paint cause everytime I save the avatar and try to upload it on here, it just goes back to its former size. IDK why so can anyone help me find one?
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Post RE: Help Finding An Avatar
on: April 27, 2011 07:47
If it goes back to the original size when uploading it here, it can normally only mean it hasn't actually been resized (our site doesn't alter the image that is uploaded as far as I'm aware ). Perhaps something went wrong in the resizing-process with Paint? Maybe you could try another software, like Gimp (which is similar to Photoshop but freely available online). After you've resized and saved the image, you can verify the size by right-clicking on the image file, go to properties and see what it says there about the size.

To find other avatars of the right size, Google could be a good starting point. If you go to Google, tab Images, you can actually tell Google which exact size of images you'd want (in pixels). That way all your search results will be filtered to images of that particular specified size.

I hope this helps. If not, let me know.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2011 08:14
Well, how small does the avatar have to be? That's what i want to know...
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: April 29, 2011 08:07
As is explained by the explanations that you'll find when uploading your avatar (under "my account", "upload avatar"), avatar's can be no larger than 60 x 60 pîxels.
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2011 08:31
Oh.....lol ! Sorry, I didn't think I was paying attention to that, but thank you .

But honestly, gondolinian, I rather not download anything because I am super paranoid when it comes to downloading things on my computer. Even if my computer and other people say the program is virus-free, I do not take their word for it because I'm just super paranoid like that. Can you give me other options besides downloading a free program online?

Edited by the moderator to merge 2 posts into 1.

[Edited on 2/5/2011 by gondolinian]
TurinGwoheyuloi
Headmost Ghost of Mandos
Send Message
on: May 01, 2011 06:23
Hi moderndancer_elf! :wave: You can always go through the (rather sizeable) pool of avatars already uploaded on this site. I'm sure there are plenty of Legolas ones, though perhaps not the specific one you want. No downloading necessary for that
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: May 01, 2011 07:55
You can always try again to use your existing software like Paint, but that's a lot more difficult. A little bit of paranoia is a good thing sometimes , but not all things on the internet are malicious, and downloading internationally renowned software like Gimp from their official homepage is a relatively risk-free operation . Not to freak you out, but when visiting webpages like the Council of Elrond, you are actually downloading things too (the webpage, all the images displayed in avatars and banners...). The best way to be safe is to be informed and rational.

TurinGwoheyuloi's suggestion is a good one if you want to avoid having to change and upload an image yourself. Perhaps you can have a look through our avatar pool and see if there's something you like.

PS: please don't double post (one post immediately after the other without any replies in between). It's against our board rules. I have merged your two posts into one. You can always edit a previous post by hitting the 'edit' button underneath the post.
moderndancer_elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2011 03:40
Sorry, gondolinian, I had no intention of posting two messages, so sorry about that :S.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email