Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Did he say that? Hm. It seems odd that he kept them so young to begin with, with all of the stuff that Sansa had to go through in Book/Season Three.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
So far Game of Thrones, the book, is following the TV show except for the wedding night of Drogo and Daenerys. The book portrayed it as very loving and caring and the TV show was not quite that way.

Jon Snow is at the Wall and he is 14 in the book. I know plenty of younglings who are under 18 and none of them would do well if they had to live the life of the characters in Thrones. I think all of them should have been older in the book.

I find the book a bit slow going. I am enjoying it and it is easy to read so I am surprised that I am not even half done. I have had Thrones almost 4 weeks and it is due back at the library on Saturday. I will take it back unfinished. The final book of Harry Potter, for example, took me 26 hours to read.

I have the first 3 seasons of Thrones on dvd and am looking forward to season 4 when it becomes available.

Meanwhile, maybe Santa will bring me the books for Christmas.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The characters are very young, which is why some of the scenes were disturbing for me. I am glad to hear that it is following along for the most part, though, so I know I am missing little by not viewing the TV show at my age.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
There is plenty of time for you to see the show, Maxie.

I got the Game of Thrones book for Christmas and a Daenerys Targaryen action figure. I can't wait for Season 4 to come out...I think it comes out in February.

In the meantime, I am reading...and for me it is a slow read.

Maxie, do you have all the books in the series? I heard there will be at least 3 more.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
The books are a slow read... painfully slow. In fact, I barely managed to finish Game of Thrones after nearly a year, and that after attempting to read it a couple times before that. The books never caught on with me.

And since I don't have Foxtel, I wait until the season DVD pack comes out or watch it online with a geo-block disable. The mini-series is all I need, and will not attempt to read the rest of the books. The three seasons have been for the most part enjoyable to watch.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen, I have heard that as well. I do not own the books, because when i went to buy them they were enormously expensive for the budget I allotted. I did hear that there were going to be many more books, and the final book that is written to date seemed to be fairly open for sequels.

I also read that the companion to the books, "The Wold of ice and Fire," hit number seven on the Publisher's Weekly Bestsellers of 2014 list.

The books are a slow read, Arveleg, but that helped with the English grade I needed to attain for the marking period.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, I am so glad I am not the only one who is having difficulty reading Game of Thrones, however, I am determined to finish it. I hope it does not take me a year.

I have seen the other books in the series and I just might get them...one at a time.

I have the first three seasons on dvd and look forward to Season Four but someone told me a spoiler...and I was glad to hear it.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I saw something on iTunes today about GoT Season 4. May have been a soundtrack.
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
For the books, I've read everything up until Dance of Dragons. Though I did that after watching the series. Actually, I was going to read the books years ago, back when A Clash of Kings first came out in paperback, but didn't get into it then.

I've seen all four seasons of the show, but don't have HBO. Not sure what to do about season five. (I'd watched the first three seasons on DVD at the library. And season four was on a HBO special a few months ago.)
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I got the first two seasons on dvd from the library then my nice friend got me all of them. I so look forward to watching season 4.

Maxie I had to take my dupicate action figure of Daenerys back and took a glance at the books. Yikes! My paperback that was a gift cost $9.99 but a bigger paperback was $18.99! I cannot afford that...made me think one of those book things (Kindle?) might be good to buy because you can get books free then from the library. But I have to hold a book in my hands. I love books.

I am watching the first three seasons over so when season 4 comes out, I will be all caught up. Khaleesi has just reached Qarth in season two.

[Edited on 01/07/2015 by Lindarielwen]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Books are so expensive, though! It horrifies the consumer aspect of me, but the other side, the author side, is happy.

I think a Storm of Swords was my favorite. That should be season three.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am tempted to read the last chapter of Game of Thrones just to see where it leaves off.

Just took a peek at the title of the last chapter in Thrones and it is Daenerys so that means the eggs are hatched!

I realized yesterday that all the swearing on the tv show is completely absent from the book.

I can spend hours in a book store but then the prices chase me away. No wonder book stores have gone out of business...it is a shame. Most of my books come from yard sales. I got my huge and heavy one volume of LotR for a dollar!

I spent most of my Sunday reading Thrones and am up to page 203. Only 600 or so pages to go. I see there are appendices at the end so I look forward to reading them.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I just saw Season Four advertised on the History Channel a few moments ago! It looks very exciting...although I realized that there was not one bit of adult content shown in the commercial. I wonder if there is a seperate set of DVDs for the "clean version?" If so, I would watch for sure.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I'm curious who they are going to off that wasn't off'd in the books....
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am halfway finished reading Game of Thrones so I am far behind as far as the television series goes.

Maxie, I doubt if they will make two versions but who knows? Maybe you can email someone. You can watch little snippets of Thrones on Youtube.

A friend let it slip about someone who dies in Season 4 and I am glad of it but am sorry that I know.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Latest season has been a bit slow to start, but was quite intense the last episode.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have not seen any of it because I do not have the cable channel it is on but I read the synopsis on the GoT website. It seems that the actress who plays Sansa really loved that episode but the fans are up in arms. Many said they are finished watching the show.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh goodness, what do people expect? GoT has a track record for deaths and such.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
This was way more than *and such*. It was way off track from the book. Even the author had something to say about it. Still, I love the show.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I held the Season 5 dvd set in my hands today but didn't buy it. Season 6 starts on April 24. I never finished reading the first book so there is no chance that I will get any of the others, even from the library.

I think we will start watching all the seasons before we get Season 5.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I held the Season 5 dvd set in my hands today but didn't buy it. Season 6 starts on April 24. I never finished reading the first book so there is no chance that I will get any of the others, even from the library.

I think we will start watching all the seasons before we get Season 5.

I'll have to get season 5 sometime this year so I can watch it and be caught up for season 6 when it comes out on disc next year. I usually have to wait for disc release because it only shows on Foxtel here in Oz, and I'm not going to pay anything to Fox for the privilege of watching TV. I could be one of the many Aussie bootleggers, but I guess I'm too honest for that.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have been reading the synopsis of the episodes on the GoT website so I know what was going on in Season 5. We bought Season 5 last week and now we are watching the last 2 episodes of Season 1.

Thrones comes in this really fancy, unnecessary packaging, but I saw it being sold in a very simple container, the way most dvds are sold. It was half the cost.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
(RIP Linda)

I'm still a bit behind on this as I refuse to pay Foxtel for the privilege to watch this. I'm hoping to get Game of Thromnes #5 & #6 on Blu Ray this Christmas. I did see part of season 5 on my Air Canada flight last October.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Have you guys seen the recent trailer for the new season? Can't wait for July!!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
John who?
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
tarcolan said:John who?

tarcolan
Send Message
Only Bran knows now.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
What I need to know is how I'm going to watch the episodes when I don't have HBO.
tarcolan
Send Message
Season 7 box set comes out 11th December.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Thanks for the info, tarcolan. I did get to see it I bought the fire stick. I'm thinking of getting another one for my tv in the living room and getting rid of cable completely.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I'm caught up to season 6 via getting the Blu-Ray season sets. Waiting for Season 7 to be released now. Yes, I get spoilers when it shows in the USA, but I don't let that bother my enjoying the show.

I see that 'Wheel of Time' and 'The Black Company' are being looked at to be created into a mini-series. Hope they are done as well as GoT. if they do see the light of day.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
What?? I can't believe I never heard of "Wheel of Time". I had to Google both series and they both sound so good. I hope after I finish my project management program I can finish the Ender Series then jump into "Wheel of Time". Thanks, Arveleg for mentioning those series!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
You are welcome Sarina Star.

The news on both Wheel of Time and Black Company is 6 months old; both having been announced in April 2017. I have seen nothing further on either of them, so I'm hoping these TV mini-series' do get done.

I have gotten Game of Thrones Season 7 Blu Ray on pre-order as it comes out December 11 here.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
I hope they make the series too.

Well, December is right around the corner. Can't wait for you to catch up and discuss the season. I hope social media or friends have not given away any good details. I know if I didn't watch it right away somebody would have let something slip. Haha
tarcolan
Send Message
So... Auntie Dany. Awkward.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email