Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lady_Sanya
Council Member
Send Message
Post Rhun, Khand, and Harad
on: June 25, 2011 11:47
I have always wondered about those of Rhun, Khand, and Harad. I saw Easterlings first in the movies, and I was fascinated with them ever since.

There is much of Middle Earth that is still unknown, and the South and East are no exceptions. So I'm asking you forum, what do you think life was like there? Was it a desert wasteland, or a tropical oasis, was there slavery, was there war between the tribes or were they all all at peace? And what were the people like? The architecture, and the food. Continue Middle Earth and let your imaginations roam.
El-Tazrín
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Rhun, Khand, and Harad
on: June 28, 2011 05:25
Well in BoLT there's a whole thing about "what should the tale be of tonight" (not a quote ) and the one in my sig is of the east and its glory, so obviously the east (and the Avari <3) were pretty funky out there
Lady_Sanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2011 08:57
BoLT? Bolt, as in the movie with the dog...? Or something else?
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2011 09:47
BoLT=Book of Lost Tales which is part of the History of Middle Earth series compiled by Christopher Tolkien.
LadyBrooke
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2011 11:30
More specifically, Lady_Sanya, BoLT contains the earliest drafts of Tolkien's writings. I wouldn't suggest reading it, if you've not read the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, as well as UT. It's somewhat hard to understand how it's connected to LotR, as it mainly deals with the Elves, and even those tales are somewhat confusing due the early name forms and such.

I'd have to think more before I was able to answer all your questions, but here's a brief answer. I think they were somewhat of a desert, with little oasis scattered throughout, and that the clothes would have resembled those of the desert wanderers from our own history...

Off topic a bit, but does anybody know if there's a list of the common Tolkien abbreviations somewhere on the website? It might be useful for the newer fans and members, so that they don't have to try and figure out what the rest of us mean by UT, BoLT, ect...and of cousrse, there's also the common habit of just referring to books by say Peoples or Lays, which I bet is also confusing to our newer members...
El-Tazrín
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2011 05:52
Lol =P woof I started with BoLT!! Hard core =P mais ouais Harad definitely would be deserty, doubt all of it- meaning everything east of Eriador and Beleriand etc etc would have been a wasteland tho, thats like saying everything south of greece and east of Europe =P
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 29, 2011 08:36
There is mention of Aragorn travelling in the south "where the stars are strange" which indicates subequatorial regions, so there will be desert, but also jungle, and where there are mountains to trap clouds there will be high green valleys such as are in the Atlas of N. Africa and the cordilleras of S.America. There may also be snow-capped extinct volcanoes like Kilimanjaro, and other mountains like Mt Kenya. These have differing belts of vegetation that change with altitude. ... and don't forget vast grasslands and savannah. There will be those too.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2011 12:28
I always pictured those areas like the middle east.
El-Tazrín
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2011 10:53
ooo in the far south there's the jungles where the mumakil come from =) I like mumakil =P
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khand is an interesting place to me. There is little there on the southern slopes of the eastern arm of southern Ephel Dúath. Lands east would merge with Rhun, and lands south would merge with Near Harad, yet the clan of these 'men of darkness' go way back. A small but notoriously vicious army called 'Variags' wee sent into service of Sauron as they are briefly mentioned in the Battle of Pelennor Fields chapter, appearing late in the battle as Sauron committed his reserves after the fall of the Witch King.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email