Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Good point, Lindarielwen!

Oh, a few days ago, November 2nd, I beleive, I couldnt log into CoE from any page. I was redirected to the internet's lovely "page not found" messege. Anyone else? Any ideas why? It could have been the adverse weather we were having.

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
Admittedly, I have been gone for awhile but I logged on again tonight because I missed this place. Sadly, due to my visual disability and the font color plus the background color I have found that most of the content is nearly impossible for me to see well enough to read. I've looked into changing my theme but it seems that feature is no longer available or as simple as it once was. I really wish I could be a member of this community but it's kind of hard if you have to be two inches from your compyter screen to see anything. Is there any option for me to make this site a little more accessible?
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
yes, the theme selection of the old site was nice. seems the place has gone through a downgrade since its heyday.

And the youtube feature on the reply box seems to be the quick way to get your IP address banned. I still can't log in from home after trying to share a Christmas music vid.

[Edited on 12/06/2013 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hi DaughterofNimrodel. The only suggestion I can make at the moment apart from using the browser zoom is to stop the browser displaying background colours. In Firefox it is the Colors button on the Options/Content page. In IE it is the Accessibility button on the Internet Options/General page. I hope this helps until we get some other themes.
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, I'll try those suggestions, first with the zoom, though it's more a color contrast issue for me. The site is still lovely though and I have greatly missed it.

[Edited on 12/13/2013 by DaughterofNimrodel]
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Glad to have you back, DaughterofNimrodel.

I noticed that certain times the site will be really slow, and once I thought it was the amount of members online. So I clicked on that spot where it says the number of members and guests on on the side bar thing. ("Users Online: 12 Members and 44 Guests." There, I found that there were 17 "bots" on the site. Other times, I have clicked on it and there were less, or more. What does that mean? They seem to be slowing up the webpages, because the instance I was talking about earlier happened on a crystal clear day with a perfect internet connection.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
tarcolan
Send Message
The weather has no effect on internet speed. Bots are automatic search engine programs which catalog websites. It's very unlikely that they will affect the speed of the site. The server that COE runs on is also running loads of other websites so it depends on the total load, not just this website. The whole internet can slow down if there is a lot of traffic. This could be for a whole host of reasons, technical, financial, social. It could also be your service provider experiencing heavy traffic. so it isn't easy to figure out why it's going slow.
tarcolan
Send Message
OK it's veeery sloooow t__o_d___a_____ This person has timed out.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I noticed that at specific times it will be slower or faster. Right now (4:01 PM, my time, which is Eastern) it's slow. Before noon, it's fast. And after seven PM, it's fast again.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting.
Germany (Central European Time) is six hours later than Eastern. When I log on to CoE it’s normally in the range of 6 to 7 PM CET, or noon to 1 PM Eastern US. I went to school in the US between 1966 and 1973, and “school’s out” was normally around 3 PM (9 PM CET). So the suspicion that anything up to high school seniors storming the internet looks likely.
Say 3:30 PM for each of the four time zones except Alaska and Hawaii gives, looking at it from Eastern, 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM, and 6:30 PM. Assume that each login is short (check e-mails, whatever), speeding up after 7 PM Eastern makes sense.
And before noon in Eastern US is 6 PM CET (7 PM a bit to the east, 5 PM in London) – ah yes, that’s when we Europeans start clogging the pipes (and 7 PM Eastern is 1 AM CET, meaning most of the time I should be sleeping … )

[Edited on 12/19/2013 by Gandolorin]

[Edited on 12/19/2013 by Gandolorin]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, so the issue is not a problem with my computer! Thank goodness for that! For me, slowness does not depend on the time of day. Sometimes it is so fast and sometimes it is just so slow. After midnight (yes, I am hanging around) it is sometimes really slow. Once in a while, the avatars do not come up...I get a blank box with a little red "x" in it. I find that if I log off and come back on, the problem is resolved.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mt avatar vanished when I was trying to change it, and now I cannot access my "My Account" page. It says that there was a "fatal error".
tarcolan
Send Message
Not good Maxie. I can't help you but I'll let Rivka know. What was the file type, size, resolution you were trying to upload?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hmmm, let me check...width, 360 Pixels, height, 250 pixels, horizontal and vertical resolution both 96 dpi, whatever that is, and the type is a JPEG Image.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
The avatar size on our site is 80x80, don't know if that could have caused the problem or not but for future reference.
Hope it gets sorted out for you soon.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Is anyone having issues with chats posting? Mine have not been coming up. I write a chat over and over and it does not come up. This is an issue for many of us and has happened to me more than once.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Erwedraith
Council Member
Send Message
I have problems with the chat too. Pretty much what Lindarielwen wrote describes the situation.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I've found. I found it is the small things. Every day deeds by ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay." - Gandalf
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will try saving a smaller version of the pic, once I can get to my "My Account" page.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Hope your problem gets worked out findemaxam48.

I have found that in the fragile state CoE is in these days, it's best to leave things be once you get them set. It appears my last visit will eternally be March 12 2012 at 21:15. I don't touch the icons above the post box either after my issue in November/early December. I manually code anything that I want coded, and it seems to post ok without problems.

It appears that a lot of the back-end code is quite mangled after the 2012 "upgrade" and the hacking that occurred a couple months afterward. I would love to see the site working like it did once upon a time, but fixing all the code takes a bit of time, and time, like money, there seems to be too little.

Haven't had any issues with the little bit of chatting I've done here. Do you mean the 'who's online' chat on the lower right or the 'chatroom' on the lower left? I have only tried the lower left chatroon a couple times, and it shows nobody is in there. I have chatted with a few individual users using the 'who's online' function.

Site speed can be quite fast or quite slow with no real pattern. I assume the site is hosted on a shared server and the speed depends on server load when buttons are clicked.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Should I PM Rivka about my problem?
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I would pm gwendeth first since she is the accounts admin and perhaps she has access to change it. If not then Rivka would be the next step.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I had issues changing my signature this morning. After some playing around and a few expletives I managed to do it. I've also had issues with the amount of time it takes threads and forums to load. Once again, the site is moving at a snail's pace and I know it's not my browser as all other sites I frequent are fine.

AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
I have only been a member since last year, so I never got to see the old site. I wish all of the links hadn't gotten messed up though. If I improve my programming skills I might know how to fix it... :wishing: I'm good with graphics, however, so I might be able to help with the themes (eventually) Still learning.
Image Image
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have the same problem, E~S.
GreyDusk501
Council Member
Send Message
I miss having the picture in the lefthand side bar be a link to more pictures of the character shown, or more art by the person who made it. Is that ever coming back?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
It seems the site has been offline a bit lately. yesterday it kept going to Big Pond's 'link not found' page
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have not been able to get on here since Thursday night. I got a page that said DNS error. When I put *Council of Elrond* in my search it is no longer there. It is as if the site never existed. I have it in my favourites and clicked on it and that is how I was able to get here now. I also tried Chrome and got the same DNS error message.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
It has been the same for me, it had the message you usually get when you have no internet connection... and I think this started on Thursday and lasted til today!
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
There was a technical problem that began Thursday morning and was fixed by Rivka yesterday morning. Thanks, Rivka!
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, when I saw that message I was so depressed... I had never encountered that before and thought the website was gone for good. So happy when I could return today
Image Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
So many of us call the Council of Elrond our *home* and I cannot imagine what it would be like if it was gone. Being a Council member is a joy in my life. Rivka, *thank you* does not seem good enough.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
To steal a line from someone who once said (in an early version – 1960s? - of NYC graffiti?)

CoE is Hobbit-forming.

So as a 47-day newbie I add my thanks to Rivka for allowing me to continue my one safe addiction (well – there is ONE issue of going to bed early enough when it’s not Christmas vacation time … )
tarcolan
Send Message
Yes, thanks Rivka. I wonder what the problem was.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
It was explained on the facebook page. A payment thing if I remember correctly.

And I'd like to say thanks as well to Rivka and the people who sustains this site. I've only registered a few days ago, but I've known this site for years. Everytime I had the desire to learn Quenya or Sindarin, this was the site I'd go to. Never thought to go to another. So thanks for being here. ^^
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ahhh thanks so much, Rivka! I will wait for the avatar thing foever as long as CoE lives!!!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email