Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Luewyn
Council Member
Send Message
Post Beleg
on: March 07, 2012 01:00
This is for everyone to comment on how great Beleg is, and who to pin the blame on for his death. I always find that helps when I'm close to tears whilst reading his passing from the world.

ps) I also want to know whether anyone agrees that it is Mim's fault?
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Beleg
on: March 18, 2012 05:17
That happens in the next chapter, so I'll tell you then.

But yes, Beleg is pretty cool. And I don't like Mim. I did, but now I don't. The way he got jealous; he's like a little kid! He's so old, isn't he supposed to be wise? But I guess dwarfs just get grumpier.
Image Image
Luewyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2012 03:21
I agree, he shouldn't act like a kid! Dwarves get on my nerves now but I suppose Thorin's company and Gimli are awesome, it just takes me ages to trust a character that's a dwarf!
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2012 08:45
I have know read the entire book(good but sad)and i don't know how you can blame it on Mim. Mim was going to kill Beleg(and if not for Mim's bargain, the orcs would have killed him)but Angreg (or what ever his name was... something close to that) saved him as he died, and because of that, Beleg was able to save Hurin. Then Hurin killed him in confusion. How awful that would be! But how are you blaming Mim? Except, indirectly, as he was the cause of everything going wrong...
Image Image
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2012 05:36
Well Nrogara, i guess then, indirectly, Turin was the cause of everything that happened...or even Morgoth. It was just a bad chain of events that just so happened to bring Beleg's death...however, I have extreme trouble believing that Beleg would just die like that. I mean, he was an extremely skilled elven warrior. I doubt even Turin could have killed him so quickly...I think Tolkien may have needed to get rid of him for some reason or another. After Beleg's death, Doriath began to become, well, run-down. And then Doriath finally ceased to exist.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2012 11:30
I thought the sword that Turin used was cursed. So even though the sword doesn't have a brain that plotted to kill Beleg it still sort of did it. Or the one who cursed the sword? Or the one who was bold enough to use it at all?

But... it's a long time since I read the story, so I need to check my facts
Also I agree with you, elven warriors are great and I don't like Mim.
niniel the weaping
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2012 05:46
I personally felt so bad when Beleg died. He was one of my favorite characters; he was strong and skillful, but most of all, he was wise, wise enough to stay true to Turin, and guide him through his life. I also love Turin, and it is not his fault he killed Beleg, in my opinion. He did not know who it was, and thinking it was an enemy, he seized the chance to kill him; Morgoth's curse for Turin; and of course, the sword was dark.

Pimpernel Took, as accounted in "The Silmarillion", the sword belonged to Eol, the dark elf, and was given as a gift to Thingol, when he was going after Aradhel, his wife. Then, Beleg asked Thingol for the sword as he wasa leaving to his journey.
(So, because it was Eol's sword, there was some dark power in it, since Eol did not have any good deeds.)
Grizzwald
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2013 11:33
I pin the blame sharply on Morgoth. For, if we remember many things went awry in the life of Turin, child of Hurin. And it seems much to blame was for the shadow of Morgoth's thought, which lied upon him.
Belegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2013 04:36
Beleg is awesome! He really stood out when I read the Silmarillion, and then I read the Narn and Unfinished Tales, so now he's one of my favorite Tolkien characters.

Personally, I have to agree that is was Morgoth's fault. When he cursed the children of Hurin, he also cursed everyone close to them. I guess you could say it was indirectly Hurin's fault for defying Morgoth and making him curse Turin and everybody, but I have a feeling Morgoth would have made everybody miserable someway or another anyway. I don't like Mim, but I can't blame him for Beleg's death. Actually, it's kind of thanks to him that Beleg lived as long as he did. The orcs were planning to kill everyone. Mim requested that they keep Turin alive and let him kill Beleg himself. So, instead of being killed with everybody else, Beleg was left for Mim, then saved by Androg (I think that's his name). Honestly, I don't see why orcs would keep their word to a dwarf, but that's a whole different issue.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 07:16
If you would like to boil it down to its roots, boil it down to Morgoth disobeying Iluvatar lol.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Belegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 09:04
If you would like to boil it down to its roots, boil it down to Morgoth disobeying Iluvatar lol.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the whole Silmarillion/Children of Hurin right there.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email