Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: The Rusty Pail -Pub & Grub-Ask your questions here
on: October 08, 2005 11:47
I'm afraid that i cannot find a problem; but as a mod I have different access than you have - Are any others members finding a similar problem?
I'll try to figure out what is happening once that question is answered.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 10:42
*comes in for ice tea and sits down*

PotbellyHairyfoot: I found out my problem. Rosearielelven gave me some advice on how to get over the problem.

What you do first is create the name for the RPG Charaters. Then you submit it and then go and edit your character. It does work.

So thanks for your haelp. Maybe I did help others.

Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 11:19
Alyanome wandered in looking slightly nervous and like she wasn't exactly belonging to the place. She coughed politely to the bartender.

"I think there used to be a thread where keepers could search for more characters and people announcing that they would be willing to join one" she spoke quitely but clearly enough. "Any idea where I could look for that thread or is it long gone to the void? Or is my memory simply failing me?"
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 04:25
Alyanome, your memory is still intact as is the thread called Middle Earth Advertiser<------click, which is two threads below this one.
Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: October 11, 2005 07:43
Wow! I suppose I didn't get it straight what the topic meant. =P Thanks.
elenlhach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2005 04:02
Hello, can I have something involving Grenadine?

From what I've seen, it is acceptable to have a TT thread that involves female warriors. Yay or nay?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 06, 2005 12:02
Females able to fight get mixed reviews, but I , personally, don't mind them , as long as the aren't some sort of Amazon type warriors and fit in with Tolkien's vision with gender being the only exception.
This is a little, rule bending, exception to staying true to Tolkien that I don't mind as it helps accomodate our members, as it is often easier to play a character of your own gender.
elenlhach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 01:54
Thank you.
Dire
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2005 08:10
I've got an odd question but I've got this idea for an rp that's a bit far from the usual when it comes to character placement.

It includes all races although revolves mainly around the elves and the orcs. There is another evil, this one after the war of the ring that wishes to abolish all that is living in Middle earth, this includes not only the lives of man, elves, hobbits etc but also the darker creatures.
And this is where the orcs come in.

Just wanted to see how people would react when it comes to playing their good characters allying with the normal enemy for the greater good of all. Middle Earth as a whole would have to stand together, the evil and the good, or all life will dissipate.

Whether or not people want to join I dunno, but it would be different then the normal hero type threads.

Would this not be fit for the Tolkien Related forum?
Fellowship
Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: December 18, 2005 01:47
Fellowship walks up to the bar and sits down.

Hello I have a question. two of my friends and I started an Email Rp, unfortunately it's getting quite messy. We decided to move it to
either here or monkey games. The thing Is, I don't know if it would be allowed here. It is all Tolkien based but for one thing;
One of the characters is Half Elf- half Hobbit. I'm just wondering if it can go here or if it needs to be put on Monkey games.
Does that make any sense?
Thank you
Fellowship
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 31, 2005 07:50
If you can come up with a rational explnanation for the Elf/Hobbit , I can't see a problem with tha as a TR thread.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 16, 2006 04:58
*SP walks in, snaps fingers* yo, Arwen! A pint of root beer please!
*takes a seat @ the bar*
Okay, I just have a quick question referring to one of my characters. I just joined a thread, my first one, and introduced my character about 15 posts in. Now my character--thanx Arwen *swigs root beer*--just happens to be in the right place at the right time but doesn't happen to be with the main group. Now the others are confused, and I'm wondering what i can do to let the others know what my character is doing without giving out her history (yeah, it's a ), which I want to reveal later. Anyone got an idea of how I can do that?
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: September 16, 2006 01:30
Sitting with her cup of tea in hand, she lifts her head to stare at Shadowfax_Pip. "I read that thread every day and ya know what, I haven't got a clue what's going on. First they've ridden off into the open fields, next they're in the middle of a crowd and I re-read the posts to figure out how this happened...what did I miss?...and I can't get it straight.

What I'd recommend is that you PM the thread author/owner and ask that an OOC be opened so you can all meet there and discuss exactly what is happening and maybe talk about where everyone is going next."

She turns back to her tea and sips quietly, scratching her head at people who can't keep their storyline and their characters straight and on the same page.

Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 08:56
SP, who feel rather sheepish, replies, "Thanks, Bereth. I'm pretty confused too (everyone is at this point) but I'll take you're advise." She finishes her root beer, leaves a tip for eldir, and with a nod leaves.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2007 04:18
I was tossing around the idea of starting an RP based earlier in the third age in Arnor, say around the years 775-863? It would be during the time before the kingdom of Arnor fractured into Arthedain, Cardolan, and Rhuadur and would be more of a political/social intrigue/faction al type of thing. Nothing would go outside of what is known of that time (very little really) and the outcome is known. I guess my question here would be if delving into possible underlying issues and circumstances of the time be considered Totally Tolkien ( since nothing happens outside of canon), or Tolkien Related (because names and relationships and events would be created)

Oh, and I'll have a bucket of dark ale please...
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 08:28
An entire BUCKET of dark ale? *wonders if Tolkien knew anything about Guinness*

Arveleg...I have PM'd you so please read that. I believe that might answer your query.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 04:23
Thank you sea-mistress for your message! I have a lot of "prep-work" before presenting anything here publicly in an OOC.

And yeah, what can I say.... I been away a long time and am thirsty?
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 05:15
Quick Question:
Is there any limit to how many RP's you become involved in? I am posting in two, and the inn ones occasionally, and may become involved in three more. Is this too many? I think I just find myself enjoying this too much

And just tea, thank you.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 05:43
I'm not a mod or anybody important here, but from my own past RP experiences, I find concentrating on two or maybe three RPs and making them top quality is best, rather than spreading oneself too thin.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 05:55
And as a mod, I have seen too many folks join every new thread that opens. Either they burn out, or their writing skills disintegrate as they try to keep up.

I totally agree with Arveleg. It is better to pick a very few that are special to you and take the time to write well-thought-out, well researched posts than waste time writing one sentence/one paragraph posts just to keep up.

Of course, all of the above depends on how much time you want to spend on writing. There are those that are completely happy with one paragraph posts in half a dozen or more threads. But if that's your type, be very careful not to join any threads where the rest of the players write long, detailed posts. They won't appreciate your offerings. *smiles*

Sets a cup of tea in front of Rodwen and pours a Guinness for herself.

[Edited on 19/11/2007 by BerethEdhellen]
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 06:05
*drinks tea* thanks for the tip. I think I will not join any more in the future, just the ones that I mentioned! I am very interested in the info I have gotten of the two not started yet, so I think I will keep on those, but will not join any others. Thanks again!
*finishes tea, tips Ber and walks out*
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2008 02:24
I do understand where the desire to want to join a bunch of RP stories comes from, as you read and 'see' an character doing this or that in a story. What I usually do is take the inspiration I get from that and use it in further developing my characters in the stories I am involved with. It keeps me focused on the tales I'm in, while not letting good ideas get away.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Wow... I was the last one to post in the Rusty Pail over 5 years ago!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Are there any articles or anything out there that can help you decide how to start a RP thread? I always seem to get stuck trying to create storylines to start with. Or anyone on here can give advice, too.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
You might try reading "A Beginners Guide to RPG's".

You'll find it under TR, if you're interested.

BerethEdhellen, RPG MOD.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Bereth.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I was thinking of making an attempt at a Tolkien historical RP based in Annuminas in its waning days. Thinking of the year 775 of the Third Age. We would enter the story in the declining City of Annuminas where the King of Arnor is Elendur, who was elderly in the count of the days of the Dunedain at this time. His son Eärendur would assume the crown in two years (777). The City of Annúminas has been declining over the years with less and less population living there. The trend was for the younger families to go to Fornost to live, and the Kingdom of Arnor as a whole was slowly shifting its core there. Also, the great watchtower of Amon Sûl was intact and was a center of power in Arnor as well. Other places to note would be Bree,at this time inhabited by men as hobbits weren't mentioned as settling in Bree until300 years later in the year 1050, and Tharbad to the south, a major point of commerce with its bridge and sea-going river boats. Earendur's eldest son is Amliath, and for this tale, the youjger sons will be twins, named Cäontar and Daúremir, born in 740 making them 35 years of age.

Anyway, would there be enough interest in an RP in such setting?

Edit: I put this in its own thread to see if there is any interest.

[Edited on 12/31/2013 by Arveleg]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email