Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Weather in Elvish!
on: November 29, 2012 12:34
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but I saw this the other day and thought I'd share it.

The weather in Elvish...if I'm correct it's in Sindarin. But I'm still learning so if it's not please correct me!

http://youtu.be/7UhqNt98tsY

New Zealand seems to love Middle Earth!
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: The Weather in Elvish!
on: December 04, 2012 07:03
Oh, I enjoyed that so much. I am not sure which language it is in. I am studying Sindarin and I did not recognize any of the words. But then again, I am struggling with the little bit of Sindarin that I do know.
How wonderful it would be to have some sort of forum like that here on the CoE where we could actually see and hear someone speaking. It would be so much easier to learn the languages.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 11:09
/shrug. I'm not sure either. And yes! That's the biggest problem for me, not being able to hear it and being able to figure out how most speakers say a word of phrase. Instead we are fumbling around trying to pronounce it correctly. I'm hoping that some of the more advanced speakers of Sindarin will help and at least say some of the general phrases so we can hear them and then work on using those as a basis for the other words that we all stumble upon and try to speak well. ^.^
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2012 10:08
I looked at the weather guy again and in the description of the show, it says the language is Sindarin. I am not even sure how to pronounce "Sindarin."

My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2012 05:15
Here's a transcript for you based on me just listening to it (meant to do this already a few days ago):

Helin (?) vain Ennor
Si ab-gen edregol anni Laer ovor
Le Nórui urui vi orbeli pheriain a menel luin
i ...(not sure what that word is meant to be) i thir an i Drann
Thi ar bain i nur a hast vaer a randirath
O Girithron na Nínui nathor ovras a haered ar a chened
No alwed i Laer lîn

Pronunciation of 'Sindarin' = All 'i's are long as in machine, and the 'a' is long as in 'father'. Seendahreen.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2012 10:05
Yea, Lindarielwen, I know that the description says that it is in Sindarin.....but since I'm not fluent enough to determine weather or not it is in Sindarin or Quenya I couldn't quite say nor did I want to believe it. Because I keep on hearing people (in general) call Tolkien's Sindarin and Quenya just 'elvish'.

Thanks Galadivern! And I was wondering about how to pronounce Sindarin also!
Taug anin ú-daug.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2012 10:13
Yeah, a lot of people do refer to the languages under a blanket 'Elvish' umbrella. Having said that, after listening to it several times, although it's mostly Sindarin, it seems they've borrowed a couple of Quenyan words to 'fill the gaps' as it were.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2012 12:46
Well, one must give them props for doing the best that they could! And speaking of that 'blanket' that's why I like to double check things with people that I know have more knowledge than I.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2012 09:46
Where is the accent on "Sindarin?" Hannon le.

Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2012 04:31
The stress on the word, do you mean? Well it's not technically really a Sindarin word, but if it were then in longer words it falls on the last syllable but one, so it would be sin-DAR-in.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2012 04:33
The first word (I swear the bloke saying it puts an 'h' on the front, but there we are) turns out to be 'Elin' after looking at the transcripts of the Sindarin in The Hobbit film, it's a new invention of David Salo, meant to mean 'I am happy'.
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: January 23, 2013 04:57
Quote from Galadivren on December 22, 2012, 02:31
The stress on the word, do you mean? Well it's not technically really a Sindarin word, but if it were then in longer words it falls on the last syllable but one, so it would be sin-DAR-in.

You're perfectly right that stress usually falls on the last syllable but one (this is the same for Sindarin and Quenya), but only if that syllable is long, meaning it has to have either a long vowel (marked with ´), a diphthong or a vowel followed by two consonants. Two examples are Q miruvóre (stress on the ó) and S silivren (stress on the second i).

But, the word Sindarin doesn't fulfill these stress criteria, so stress moves one step towards the beginning of the word, thus landing on the first i: SIN-dar-in.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email