Welcome Guest 

Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Post NEWBIES INTRODUCTION THREAD - Please introduce yourself here!!
on: January 29, 2013 12:42
The old thread was getting a bit lengthy, so it's time for a new one!
(The old one will be locked and moved to the newbies archives in a few days).

This is the place for newbies to introduce themselves to the other members of CoE. Some possible things you might say about yourself are:

Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE)
Where are you from (country/state)?
How did you find CoE?
What are your hobbies and interests?
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies?
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE?

Of course you can write your own introduction, the above are just some hints.

Once you have posted your introduction here, you should not create a seperate thread to greet our members. The other threads in the newbies forum are for asking questions about the site; how to do or where to find things, how to deal with signatures/avatars, etc. Please scroll through the existing threads to see if there is one that talks about the same question as you have, and post there. Do not start another thread if there is already one which exists.

We'd also advise you to read the sticky topics(above the general forum threads), as they may answer some of those questions before you even ask. Our Newbie Guide for instance helps you with your first steps on the site. After that, it's all about exploring the site and having fun (there are many nooks and crannies to see!).
Feel free to check out the introductions of older site members in other threads, some of which can be found in the Newbie archives (but please do not post any replies in the archives, as it is for closed threads only).

We all hope you will enjoy it here with us, and that you feel at home very soon !

Errandir of Gondolin,
Newbies - moderator
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Eorrific
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: NEWBIES INTRODUCTION THREAD - Please introduce yourself here!!
on: January 29, 2013 01:58
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE) : just call me by my username ("eorrific")
Where are you from (country/state) : I currently live in Jakarta, Indonesia
How did you find CoE? I was googling Tolkien related stuff, and found this wonderful site
What are your hobbies and interests? Other than Tolkien, I love "classical" music (mostly Romantic and early 20th century classical; and I'm a closeted opera fan)
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? I've read the LotR (currently re-reading as of 30-Jan-2013), The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and The Children of Hurin. Have seen Peter Jackson's LOTR and the first film of The Hobbit, and uhh... Bakshi's LOTR adaptation.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? None that I can think of. Just saw the "Show new topics since your last visit" option. VERY useful I must say.

So, I will see you all around?
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: January 29, 2013 02:15
Hello Eorrific, welcome to the Council of Elrond and thank you for introducing yourself! I haven't had a chance yet to see Bakshi's adaptation, although I've heard a lot about it.
We'll definitely be around, and hopefully you will be too! Our community is very friendly and will be happy to have you in their midst.
Glorelerrinaloth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2013 05:28
Name: Glorelerrinaloth or a shorter version is okay
Where are you from: Norway
How did you find CoE? I googled 'Glorfindel', and found it randomly
What are your hobbies and interests? Tolkien-related stuff, Hetalia, geography, history, drawing writing, Anime/Manga and Finnish Heavy Metal. I also love musicals like Phantom of the Opera and such^^
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? I read The Silmarillion, the Lord of the Rings triology and currently The Hobbit, watched the LotR triology about 17 times (both the regular and the Extended one), The Hobbit and Bakshi's adaption of the books. I also own a copy of the Children of Hurin^^
I think that's it. I'll go do my homework now.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: February 02, 2013 01:57
Welcome to COE Glorelerrinaloth and Eorrific, glad you've joined us. Have fun here.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2013 05:13
Yeah, welcome!
Legolas-sketcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2013 05:53
Hi! little intro...
My afvourite lotr character is Legolas, this is not just because lovely Orlando plays him but that is a bonus, I like Legolas personality and his skill with a bow. I think that Orlando Bloom is a really great actor, not just because of the looks but the way he becomes different characters so well, I didn't realise until 6 months ago that Legolas and Will Turner were played by the same person, then the other day I was watching a clip on youtube of him on Ricky Gervais' Extras from 2006, oh dear it was funny, he couldn't believe that this the girl didn't fiind him attractive and well, I won't spoil it for you if you want to see it, go youtube and type in 'extras, orlando bloom' and it should come up. Anyway enough of my waffling...
Name: username is Legolas-sketcher, but my real name is Lucy, you can call me either
Where are you from: England
How did you find CoE? looking on google images of a decent picture of Legolas smiling to draw, found a good one and it lead me here
What are your hobbies and interests? I like lotr, used to be obsessed with a tv show called 'Merlin' but it's finished now so I kind of became obsessed with lotr, I'm talented at sketching/art
Have you read 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Read the books, I'm halfway through the return of the king, seen all the films quite a few times
nope, I don't have any questions

gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 02, 2013 11:39
Welcome Glorelerrinaloth and Legolas-sketcher! Thank you for introducing yourselves.

Glorelerrinaloth, what exactly is Hetalia? It doesn't ring a bell to me .
Legolas-sketcher, you're clearly a big fan of Legolas . You should find plenty of information about him on our site, perhaps even a thing or two you didn't know yet .
Enjoy your memberships!

PS: Leoflic, you might want to change your signature. It's rather large and definitely spanning more than the 3 lines our signature rules allow!
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2013 11:45
Yes, I am well aware of that fact. I would fix it, but for some reason I am having quite a few bugs/glitches with this website. One of which is that I cannot edit my forum options. Namely, my signature.
Hetalia is an anime, comprised of multiple series, it is best to specify. Hetalia: Axis Powers is the first one I think you can check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetalia:_Axis_Powers
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 03, 2013 02:01
Thanks for the info on Hetalia, Leoflic . Concerning the issues with the forum options: you are right, it's a problem with the site and we're looking into it asap!
ShieldMaiden77
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2013 03:11
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE): ShieldMaiden

Where are you from (country/state)? UK

How did you find CoE? Trawling through the internet whilst avoiding homework...

What are your hobbies and interests? Drawing, reading, piano. LOTR obviously

Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Read LOTR and Hobbit twice, started the Silmarillion. Watched the movies (PJ's) 2/3 times? Seen the Hobbit once.
sarsam133
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2013 04:08
Name: Mike
How did you find CoE? A google search
What are your hobbies and interests? Gaming, Fantasy book and movies, Computers and programming, and languages.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Seen all the movies only read the hobbit plan to re-read before watching the hobbit movie
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? none yet
tarcolan
Send Message
on: February 06, 2013 05:33
Greetings and welcome ShieldMaiden17 and sarsam133 to COE. Have a nice time here, we're all friendly folk so don't be shy. Get stuck in to LOTR book sarsam, it is so much more than the films.
Yuearian
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2013 11:45
Name Yuearian

Age 24

Gender Female

Where are you from (country/state)? US

How did you find CoE? Looking for Tolkien fansites ^o^

What are your hobbies and interests? Reading, writing, playing video games

Yes I have read The Hobbit, LOTR, The Silmarillion, and Children Of Hurin
I've watched the Peter Jackson trilogy more times than I could count and have watch the recent Hobbit film once

No questions yet!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 06, 2013 01:30
Hello and welcome, Shieldmaiden77, Sarsam133 and Yuearian! Glad to have you on board.

Shieldmaiden, I need to warn you, our site is a perfect time-sink when doing homework . I speak from past experiences . Enjoy our community!
Sarsam, any particular games or kind of gaming you're into?
I have the same question for you, Yuearian. I'm curious to see what kind of video games you guys play.

Enjoy your memberships and dive right into our big and friendly community! They'll welcome you with open arms.
Amathadar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2013 08:00
Hi, I'm new here! A somewhat new Tolkien fan, I grew up around Lord of the Rings and have loved the movies since 3rd grade but have just recently begun to read the books and appreciate them (and all of Tolkien's works) far more than when I was a youngster.

Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE) Amathadar
Age 14
Gender Female
Where are you from (country/state)?
United States
How did you find CoE?
Looking around at Tolkien related things (namely how to write in Elvish) on the internet.
Music. Art. Tolkien, obviously. Hiking. Travelling. Books.
All of the above, minus reading Lord of the Rings. My goal is to read them all by the end of the year.
Nope!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2013 09:30
Welcome to all new members!! There are many things to do here so start exploring!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2013 08:20
Welcome newbies! Great to see more people join! I hope you guys like it here!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 10, 2013 01:48
Welcome Amathadar, to the Council of Elrond!
Any particular region you like to hike in (knowing the many great nature reserves and such the US has)? Or just in your local area?
Amathadar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2013 04:09
Just the local area, I actually haven't been much but I've enjoyed what I have done and can't wait to do more of it this year!(:
tarcolan
Send Message
on: February 11, 2013 11:49
Welcome to COE Amathadar, you won't be sorry you joined. I don't think it'll take you a year to read LOTR, you won't be able to put it down. Enjoy your walks too, so simple yet so satisfying. Have fun here.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2013 10:50
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE) Huldah Maria, actually that's my great grandmother's name, half of it is mine though. Feel free to abreviate
Age 24
Gender female
Where are you from (country/state)? Southern Oregon
How did you find CoE? googling pictures of Elrond
What are your hobbies and interests? I'm in love with Jesus! I enjoy knitting, sewing, embroidery, cooking for people, meeting needs, shareing my faith, praying for people I care about and a whole lot of other things.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? I have read the books and seen the LOTR movies, extended version once (need to see again SOON). Have not seen the Hobbit yet as I can't go to the theater, too overstimulating and too many people for me. I'm excited that the DVD is coming out soon so I can see it at home where I feel comfortable.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? I think my questions are probably already answered, I just have to read through the threads when I have time.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 12, 2013 02:29
Hi HuldahMaria and welcome to CoE. Theatres aren't always the most enjoyable places to be (although they can be for a good movie and with a good crowd), but the Hobbit in 3D is really an experience you should give a try . There are pro's and con's about it (which people can discuss in the Movies forum), but it's something you definitely cannot experience at home. Either way, enjoy the movie when you have the chance to see it!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 12, 2013 05:25
Hi HuldahMaria! I too have not seen the Hobbit movie yet, despite being a member of staff here. Like you, I have to feel brave to enter a movie theatre. I must though, or I won't be able to moderate the Books Forum where questions are bound to be asked. That's where we discuss all and any of Tolkien's works, ideas and characters. Not many Hobbit threads yet, but feel free ...
MikoNoNyte
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2013 10:36
Name: MikoNoNyte (NOT the real name of course. I'm MikoNoNyte just about everywhere)
Where are you from (country/state)? California, US of A
How did you find CoE? Ohgoodgrief! Either on one of my RSS feeds or just stumbling about.
What are your hobbies and interests? Hooker (crochet), ABJD's, reading and when the muses! attack, writing.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Lotr films: yes. Hobbit film, no but I have it pre-ordered. Books: yes, currently working my way thru the HoME books as well as a large handful of Tolkien studies etc. I think my favorite is probably Silmarillion, although I have no idea why. Still hold up Lord of the Rings as utterly perfect.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? Intro letter was most helpful. As I'm a weekend trawler usually I'll just stumble about.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: February 15, 2013 01:57
Welcome to COE MikoNoNyte, have fun here.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 15, 2013 04:05
... and welcome from me too, Books Forum has plenty of interesting discussions.
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2013 05:28
Hey all! I've been a member for many years, but haven't been active on the site for a good long while. I was hoping The Hobbit movie would have livened things up around here a bit. I was also sort of anticipating there'd be some new roleplayers, but it looks like those boards have been mostly abandoned.

As to me--I'm a scientist/college student/writer/enjoyer&baker of tasty food with a penchant for ordinary adventures and a passion for the Lord. When I participated a bit more here I went by Tookish or TG. Haha, though I decided a bit after I made this account that I'm probably more of a Brandybuck at heart. Cheers!
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2013 06:31
Name (or what you'd like to be called here in CoE) Aredhil
Age 11
Gender Female
Where are you from (country/state)? CANADA
How did you find CoE? Google
What are your hobbies and interests? I like/LOVE singing, and roleplaying
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? I've seen all 3 LOTR movies, but no one wants to watch the Hobbit with me
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? Nope, just HOW DO YOU POST FANFIC?????

gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 15, 2013 02:46
Hello and welcome MikoNoNyte, tookishgirl and Aredhil!

We're glad to have you on board MikoNoNyte, so drop by whenever you can!
Perhaps you can be the one giving those rpg boards a boost, tookishgirl . And as you can see by the introductions here, we have more and more new members every day!
Aredhil, please do not post in caps. It is considered shouting and very rude, and it will not get your question answered any sooner. I suggest you read our forum rules (all new members should!), which you can find here. I see you are younger than 13. Since this is a PG 13 site, we cannot allow members under that age (please read this thread). Our accounts admin will be deleting your account. Please join us again once you reach 13!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
on: February 17, 2013 01:44
Just to clarify it once again for all our members and newbies:

To join this site (= to create an account here), members have to be 13 due to the regulations in the USA, where our servers are based. Any new member that is not 13 years old will have their account deleted. This is to protect both you and us (the site could get shut down if we allow members younger than 13!), as is explained in this thread. In the past there was a possibility to have your parents sign a permission form if you are under 13, but that is no longer possible due to the administrative hassle.

I'd like to remind everyone that it is very important to read our site and forum rules before joining and posting anything on the site. We don't have that many rules and they are very simple to adhere to, but it is in everyone's interest to follow them. That way our site can continue to be the friendly, open community it is today and that so many of you love .
Linwe49
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 05:23
Hello Everyone
My CoE name is 'Linwe49' and I'm a 16 year old female from the UK. I guess I first came across this site when I was hunting around for a good site to try and learn more about the Elvish language from. This site instantly caught my eye because of the depth which it includes everything to do with Middle Earth.
My other hobbies (besides everything lotr related) are martial arts, singing and playing the guitar.
I've been a fan of Tolkien's work for a long time now and I've read and watched the Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings and I know it sounds cheesy but they have a special place in my heart.
So far I don't think I have any questions and I can't wait to begin fully exploring the site
Thank you
TofuFishy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 10:07
Oh gosh, I forgot to introduce myself yesterday! Woops! I guess I'll just do so now.

Name: You can call me by my username or Sharon. Whatever floats your boat!
Where are you from?
I am from the USA.
How did you find CoE?
I was on a website whose name I don't recall at this moment and it had a section labeled "fandom." Curious, I clicked it and was then directed to a LOTR-directory and from there, linked to here!
Hobbies? Ah, I'm kind of boring! I sit and read and write and draw and game all day. If I'm not doing that I'm studying. Hopefully this will change over the summer, when I don't have much schoolwork. As for interests aside from The Hobbit/LOTR um... I like anime/manga, video games, and I have a passion for science if that counts.
I've seen all the films out to date and I am currently reading The Fellowship of the Ring. I see the CoE book club is reading The Silmarillion, though, and it's making me want to stop and go read that instead, haha!
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2013 10:16
Hey there all. I was active before (I don't really remember when exactly and I can't see if I ever posted on the forum, I think I did), but life got in the way.

Anyway, I'm back, mostly lurking though.

So, hi!

EDIT: Oh, I noticed, just now, I've posted 18 messages before this one.

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, let's do this again:

Name: Nicole, but call me Nev or Neva.
Where are you from?: The Dutch part of Europe.
How did you find CoE?: A loooong time ago, I don't remember.
What are your hobbies and interests?:Um... Elves, (Final) Fantasy, guitar-play, comics (X-Men/Gambit), web/graphic design...
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies?: Half/no/yes.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE?: Member list/search forum is not really working.
~Nev~
tarcolan
Send Message
on: February 23, 2013 06:14
Welcome to COE Linwe49 and tofufishy, have fun here. Welcome back Neva, you'll have noticed the new site design. There's still a few glitches but be patient. Get stuck back in.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email