Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Belle, they go great with chestnuts too.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Sounds yummy. Not sure where to get chestnuts here, but will look around. Thanks, Tarc!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Christmas Ham and Glaze
on: December 17, 2016 05:16
I have ordered a nice ham shank for Christmas dinner, and have come up with a lovely glaze which I'll share with you. First is the...

Ham preparation:

(Note - its always worth asking the butcher if they can do the following prep when ordering the ham. They usually will, and it saves time and hassle. If they do it, all you need to do is stud the cloves into it.)

Use a small knife, score a zig-zag line around the base right through the skin. Starting at the other end of the ham, run the knife under the skin and over the top of the fat layer .

Use your fingers to peel the skin back. The skin should peel away leaving the fat in one piece.

Use your knife to score the fat in a criss-cross pattern, making diamonds about 1.5cm long. Don’t cut down into the ham flesh.

When you have finished, stud the centre of each diamond with one clove.

Stuff you need for the glaze:

• 1½ cups of your favourite Stout or other dark beer. Guinness will work, but is a bit heavy. If you have a locally brewer chocolate porter, it adds a nice dimension to the glaze.
  • 1 cup Dark Brown sugar, loosely packed
  • 2 Tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
  • 2 tsp Ground Ginger
  • 1½ tsp Ground Cardamom
  • 1 tsp Ground Celon Cinnamon
  • ½ tsp Ground Cloves

What to do:

Combine all the glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium and simmer until the glaze starts to thicken. (roughly 5 minutes).

1. Preheat oven or covered barbecue to 180°C/355°F

2. Place ham on a rack in a large roasting pan. Half fill roasting pan with water and brush ham liberally with a third to half the glaze. Reserve the rest. Place in oven (or in hooded barbecue if yu're so inclined).

3. Allow one hour and 20 minutes for a 4 kilo (9Lb) half leg. You will need to baste the ham every 15 minutes (pain in the butt but well worth it).
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Cor! That sounds delicious Arv. Sometimes I wish I wasn't vegetarian.

NUT CAKE (Warning: contains nuts)
Here's a special treat, more like a soufflé.

4 eggs
4 tblspns caster sugar (1/4 cup)
1 tbspn instant coffee (crush granules)
1 squirt lemon juice
4oz ground walnuts (or your fave nuts)
1oz butter

Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 5, 375F, 190C or 175C for fan oven
Separate eggs. Mix yolks,sugar,butter,nuts,lemon,coffee.
Beat whites to peak and fold in to mixture with a big metal spoon using a gentle, cutting motion.
Put in a loaf tin lined with non-stick paper. Bake for 35 mins
Leave to cool in oven with door slightly open, don't worry if it collapses a bit.
When cold cover the top with dark choc and decorate with nut halves. Serve with whipped cream.

Six servings, apparently.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Simple Mexican Salsa
on: January 20, 2017 04:28
The Ham was delish, with the sad part about it being there was just too much of it for us two people. I had ham for brekky, lunch, and dinner for three days!

That Nut Cake looks yummerz. Not sure how the crappy instant coffee we get here in Oz would work. Maybe if I get a Moccona dark roast, but I would prefer the Folger's in the USA. May have to give this a go.

Here is something a vegitarian could get into....

Fresh Mexican Salsa

Some local Mexican immigrants started a business here called Doña Cholita and it is taking off quite well with the big Mexican food craze going here. They have the simplest salsa recipe that tastes way better than any jarred stuff, is quite easy to make, and easy to tweak to personal preference. Here is the basic recipe...

Ingredients:

• 3 ripe tomatoes, be sure to pick tomatoes with plenty of colour
  • ¼ of an onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • Salt
  • 2 green chilies

Chilies To Use:

For the Mexican Salsa, Serrano is what we would usually use in Mexico, but Jalapenos, Poblanos and Habaneros also work well. Experiment! Mix it up and use a few different types. The Bird's Eye popular in Asian cooking make a nice touch for heat, or the Banana Chili works well for a sweeter, more mild taste. Other Capsicums are fine too, but you don't need to use the whole thing as they are rather quite large. Have fun and be sure to write down what you use so when you find a combo that works best for your personal taste, you can remember it.

Optional Additions:
- Coriander/Cilantro
- Shallots/Spring Onions
- A squeeze if lime juice (helps if you get it too hot)
- Dash of Tequila

Method:

Char the tomato and chilies on an open flame, turning regularly, until quite black and soft. We do it on our stove top, but over a charcoal BBQ will give it even more flavour!

Place tomato, chili, onion & garlic in the blender, pulse a few times, add a very large pinch of salt (don’t be shy) and pulse again. Don’t overdo the blending, you want to keep it a bit chunky, taste and add more salt if needed.

Serve in a small bowl as a dip or meal accompaniment.

Hot tip: make it super spicy so it goes further, this salsa is so good it will disappear quickly, promise! If you have a mortar & pestle you can do away with the blender and smash it up in there, makes a delightfully chunky salsa. Another alternate is to use a well-sharpened knife and chop up the ingredients. Provecho!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email