Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Perhaps not," Damia said, "perhaps you want to return him a favor?"
She twirled a knife in her hand.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
"I owe them no favours."

A dark and solemn Khaloch said, looking her in the eyes. He stepped toward her and said,

"If your conscience bothers you because you took their money and have not delivered, then be done with it! Kill me and send my head and heart to them. Maybe they will reward you with a bonus."

He turned his head to the side, offering her his neck.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Damia raised her eyebrow, "You humor me Khaloch. Nay I will not kill you."
She sheathed the knife and resumed a careless position.
"I would enjoy company may I join your meager group?"
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"I would enjoy company. May I join your meager group?"

Raegan looked to Khaloch for guidance, and then to Alura. The girl shared a tight look wqith Khaloch, and gave an imperceptable nod. Raegan adverted her eyes so she could look at the inn. Water had been poured on it, and the brimey smell of the sea was in the air. Smoke rose in great plumes as the flames fought to regain ground.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
His pace had quickened to a full sprint as an unknown need drove him through the alleyway. Thick smoke still rose from the burning sectors of Pelargir as the flames spread unchecked; his lungs were graciously spared as the East wind captured these fumes and bore them away across the gulf. As Assure rounded the corner of a still intact lodging he came across a rather groggy looking group of travelers who had spent the night in a stable. They were immediately recognizable.

Just as he began to speak his words were cut short by racking coughs. They subsided after a moment and he regained his composure. "I am beyond surprised to see you all here. A few new faces as well," the captain remarked with a sidelong glance at the shadowed assassin.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khaloch gave Damia a quick wink with a grin as she sheathed her knife. No, she would be one to kill him in his sleep, not on the street in the light of day. He looked about and back at her,

"We are just a collection of souls who happened to meet, and it seems meet again. If we traveling companions have become a meagre group, then so be it. I myself would like your company, if only to keep you in sight.”

He gave Alura a quick glance and Raegan he saw nod in brief. Maybe they would be assured to have a sure blade with them. Or not.

Assur wandered up, saying,

"I am beyond surprised to see you all here. A few new faces as well,"

Khaloch turned and said,

”Good to see you well Captain.”
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan turned, and it took a moment for her to recognize Captain Assur, though ScarAlura and Khaloch turned to greet him. Finally, she asked in her timid voice, "What brings you here, Captain?"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Scarlett along with Raegan slept on the straw. She could rest though her dreams were troubled with images of her mother, sick and screaming for help. As she woke up she needed to calm her horse down. With some struggle she could do it. Looking around she saw Khaloch talking to the woman from before.

“My dear friend, “she whispered to Raegan “Stay here, please.”

She walked in their direction staring at Damia with an icy look. Even if she was scared of the one who stood in front of her, she didn’t show. She couldn’t believe her father would be so desperate to pay someone in advantage. There was something that wasn’t right. She was also afraid for Khaloch. She didn’t want him to risk again his life and his freedom for her.

“What does the Killer of Gondor need?” She began coldly. “Did you return to fulfill your duty?”

Suddenly, a man came in. It was the one who granted them passage back in Osgiliath. She laid a hand in her knife ready if someone attacked them.

[Edited on 08/12/2014 by Ella]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
“What does the Killer of Gondor need?” She began coldly. “Did you return to fulfill your duty?”
"I fulfill that which I deem my duty," Damia answered just as coldly.
It seemed she had been accepted by all except the girl. Her own hand moved to a hidden dagger when she saw the girl move for her knife.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Tensions were rising faster than the black plumes of smoke caught by the East wind and borne across the River. This unknown assassin seemed to have unwilling caught the ire of what had been Assur's charge from Osgiliath to Pelargir; he was unsure if this was warranted or not.

"Calm, calm." He stepped forward, palms open to display that he was unarmed and that he had no intention of unsheathing. The echoes of guardsmen and distressed citizens pierced the silence. "We ought to make our way north to the more densely populated areas and help extinguish the flames. I know none of us hold personal affiliation with Pelargir, but we can't stand idly by." His pleading may have fallen upon deaf ears by the unsure looks of the party, but the captain was sincere and tried to present universal logic.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
After Assur was done speaking, it seemed to do little to settle the intensity of the stares Damia and Alura gave each other. Khaloch gave Assur credit on his attempt to ease the tensoin and Kheloch suppressed a wry grin from his face. A battle of blades between a high daughter of Gondor whose art was healing, and and one of Gondor's hired killers would likely not end well for Alura, especially since she is so averse to killing. But if they were unarmed....

Khaloch let out a slight snort and said,

"Well, this is where I am from, I could stand idly by, for I would like nothing better than to see it all burn down. This pestilence from the south that has been sweeping across the lands probably was further incubated here in this pit of despair. This fire may be a blessing of sorts to help rid the place of it, and may be the safest place to be. Do you remember Captain, it had reached Osgiliath before we left, and I saw it was already infecting some in Minas Tirith."

Khaloch looked about and could see the City Guard checking passers by and posting notices. He noticed they had cloth masks over their faces. Khaloch removed his headscarf and wrapped it about his face. It would be wise to do so he thought, for he had felt since the day before the clammness. It reminded him too much of the days far to the south. He wished not to get sick again or to get anyone else sick.

"Maybe we should work our way north, but leave the waning fire to the approaching storm?"

The sun had indeed been shrouded, and the thunder could be heard approaching. As the first drops of rain fell among them, Khaloch said as he nudged Assur slightly with his elbow,

"What say you Alura and Damia? Or do you two have some unfinished business?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"North it is," Damia said lightly, "I have no unfinished business."
She looked up at the mass of dark clouds building in the sky, like an army preparing for battle.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan picked up her small bundle of clothing and goods, tattered, now, beyond recognition. "I am ready to travel," she said, "North."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Damia swung her satchel over one shoulder and pulled her hood up.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
Scarlett’s eyes pierced into Damia’s. She was still wary of that woman and she knew it would still be a problem to solve. Even with Assur’s speech, the stares she insisted to throw the other woman didn’t stop. She remained silent while they spoke about heading North. The illness was spreading and she knew her mother was sick, back in the White City, thus she wanted to find more about it.

"What say you Alura and Damia? Or do you two have some unfinished business?"

"I have no unfinished business."

Scarlett looked to Khaloch while the rain drops began to fall. The memories of the day they were separated filled her mind. It was so alike in many ways. She had a decision to make. She could return home to help her mother and to be forever caged inside the White City therefore she wouldn’t see her friend Raegan again, nor that man who never abandoned her thoughts and her heart. On the other hand, she could go with that group and try to discover more about the illness and maybe one day she could return home with dignity. She took a deep breath.

“North it is.” Glancing to Damia she added “Later we shall solve the unfinished business.”
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Amidst the shouts and screams and the scent of smoke wafting in the breeze, the party deliberated; the tension did not subside. Assur could see Scarlett glaring hotly at the infamous assassin, a gesture that had been reciprocated in kind. Khaloch seemed, at least to the captain, quite intent on moving north. This sentiment was driven home by a quick nudge by the man's elbow. Assur nodded, his gaze not leaving the assassin. "We ought to hurry."

They made ready to head north after the agreement had been made and ensured that no dignity was compromised. Assur had no belongings on his person to secure and stood opposite the alcove formed by the junction of the stable and inn with arms crossed; a dagger dangled at his belt and his weather-stained was cloaked cast back to reveal his tightly woven, raven-black hair and a forehead creased with worry. The others had a few supplies to gather and sling over their shoulders before the entire group stood ready.

Khaloch and the captain lead them through the densely populated urban sprawl of Pelargir, dodging restless crowds demanding safe haven and basic needs from empty-handed, exasperated guardsmen unlucky enough to bear the sigil of the King. Dark nimbus clouds rolled ominously overhead, swollen with rain and fury, ready to burst like the crowds of those rendered homeless and, unbeknownst to the party, trapped by quarantine. A clap of thunder heralded the rain in great, monstrous waves; it was a veritable downpour unlike the South had seen since the party's departure from Osgiliath some months ago.

Assur had drawn up his hood, though he was soaked in a matter of seconds from head to toe. The others followed suit and their actions were similarly in vain. It was no use trying to find shelter as what little overhead there was to protect from the sheets of hail and precipitation was quickly harboring tightly knit groups of homeless refugees. The captain was no stranger to the weather, however, and it did nothing to deter his pace through cobblestone streets now murky-brown from soil and ashes.

As they crossed a deserted street a pungent stench was in the air and reached Assur's nose bypassing all other scents assaulting his olfactory organs; it smelt of death and decay and its source was soon obvious for he and the rest of his party to behold. His steely hues were unprepared for the sight of a mound of bodies piled haphazardly in the open plaza of what had once been used for community gatherings. Numerous guards with cloths wrapped tightly round their mouths to protect from illness stood with now extinguished torches, staring vainly at the remnants that the rain had ceased from burning to oblivion. Buildings surrounding the pyre on three sides were heavily charred. One of the guards quickly noticed the party that had only stepped into the open with inquisitive looks and hurried over. "Keep your distance! We have been unable to contain the plague and it is best if you go around! We do not know the method of transmission yet!" His voice was shaky, perhaps from illness. Assur kept his distance and nonchalantly drew up a portion of his cloak to wrap around his nose and mouth to 'filter' the air he breathed.

The captains eyes were solemn as he turned towards Khaloch and the others. "It would be best if we found shelter. Far from here."

[Edited on 08/14/2014 by Eldarion]

[Edited on 08/14/2014 by Eldarion]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
“North it is.” Later we shall solve the unfinished business.”
Damia smirked and started walking. She fell back just long enough to whisper something to Scarlett.
"I feel I must warn you that I cheat," she said laughing.
They walked in silence. The rain, light at first, soon poured down. The smell of stale smoke and charred wood lingered before it was washed away. She was soon drenched but it mattered not she had gone through much worse. Soon a very different smell filled the air. A smell she knew all to well. They stepped into a plaza filled with bodies of the dead. Those who died of the Plague. She had watched her mother die of it. A guard rushed up ranting about the danger. But there was no danger for her. She had barely lived through the Plague, she knew the pain of the dreadful boils. Staring at the bodies she stepped a pace further.
It would be best if we found shelter. Far from here."
She looked at the captain, she had forgotten that her companions could be affected by the Plague.
"Then let us go." she replied.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan looked rapidly from left to right, following Scar's slim form as best as she could. The chaos around, and the horrible rotting smell, was all that she could really comprehend.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khaloch walked along just behind the rest, keeping his eyes out for trouble. Damia said something to Scarlett and laughed. There may be trouble there, but it wasn't his concern. They will sort it out and may even become friends. Khaloch did wonder why a knife of Gondor would want to accompany them, but he at least welcomed someone who could likely hold their own in a fight. Cities quarantined can become troublesome places.

"They would be best to set fire to all of them."

Khaloch said softly to himself. Raegan, Damia, and Scarlett may have heard him. The rains had cooled the air some, and helped wash away the stench, but instead of festering bloated bodies in the blistering hot sun, it had more of a mouldy smell of death. The days far to the south had back to him, where the dead from battle and sickness lay about. The company could only look after their own, and those missing were likely left to rot behind the enemy lines. The swords and knives spared their own, but the pestilence spared nobody. When Commander Rieban negotiated a truce, we had little energy to do more than slay the mortally wounded, and to give our comrades the best eternal sleep. The rest were burned.

And it was not the remains of the fire that still burned here in the north of the city, for because the city had been ordered quarantined, the dead were being burned. It added an oily stench to the sodden air.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"The Plague is a cruel master, it does not leave many behind," Damia said looking down. "It swept through our district once. My father was away so he never got to see his wife die. I barely made it."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"It swept through our district once. My father was away so he never got to see his wife die. I barely made it,"Damia was saying softly, almost to herself.

In her nature, Raegan heard her, just as she had heard Khaloch say something quietly moments ago. "Oh?" She asked the killer, trying to maintain a polite air. "I was raised in the docks. Many fell sick with various pestilence, but those who survived became...became..." she struggled to find the word. "unable to be sick. Of the same illness. They had before." She stammered. "Is...is such the case with you?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Damia's piercing eyes looked up at the girl.
"You could say so. I have walked among the dead and not been taken again. It is a small gift purchased dearly and I wished I never lived."
Her words had a bitter bite at the end. Not at the girl, for she had just been curious. The sharp words were more for herself.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan was taken aback by the killer's harsh words. She shrunk back into Scar and Khaloch.

[Edited on 08/18/2014 by findemaxam48]
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Even the musty smell of fresh rains did little to damper the thick stench of death lingering in the air; decaying flesh and pestilence filled the nostrils in a frightful combination, enough to make even the strongest stomachs turn. Assur was no stranger to the smell of death, but even he found himself nauseous as waves of plague seemed to emanate from morbid mound.

His companions mirrored his sentiment and also wished to leave the area as soon as possible. The sights were entirely unwholesome and more rain clouds loomed overhead, threatening to spill once more in a violent torrent. "We may head towards the market districts and try to find an empty inn. I have some measure of coin left and perhaps we could finance a short stay before...our leave is in order," the captain suggested as they walked purposefully from the plaza and down a cobbled street. Refugees seemed to be pouring forth from alleys and side roads, all left homeless by the fires. Some were wrapped in shawls, bent, and clearly ill while others were quite intent on finding shelter. Assur and Khaloch alone were enough to drive off any enterprising men who may have been willing to resort to banditry; the assassin among their ranks was a surprise deterrent as well.

They reached the market districts unscathed and unspoilt by the illness running rampant. Much to Assur's chagrin, the inns seemed to be refusing people without question whether due to fear of plague or overbooking he could not discern.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Damia pushed through the crowd. Her hood was back up and she felt an overwhelming desire to retreat to the shadows. But she had joined this group: a captain, a mercenary, a runaway lady, and a crazy girl. She felt remorse when she thought of the girl and how she had snapped at her. People thought that someone as cold and cruel as her never had feelings. But they were wrong. That was why she had joined the group, to relive herself of loneliness. She fell back to the girl.
"Forgive my harsh words," she whispered, "they were not at you, rather myself."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Khaloch walked slowly behind the group. He watched the assassin as she seemed to ponder the dead and talk with Raegan. They all walked on even as he paused. He stood there amongst the stench as the rain fell. They faded into the mists and he turned and walked down a narrow alley.

It was best to let them go. He had to take advantage of the fire at the inn, and he will be reported dead, suspected of dying with Banarast. He could start life again.

He faded into the greyness of the city, heading for the house of The Raven. She would have the hand to help him…

(OOC: I'm done with this. Don't have time and it isn't moving much anyway. May your adventures be well)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Raegan watched as Khaloch left, quietly. She looked about, and couldn't see Alura either. She looked to Damia and said, "Maybe we could go somewhere. Else."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email