Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Calphon
Council Member
Send Message
Post Dialect selection
on: January 01, 2014 06:31
I was wondering which dialect is most like Nandorin, that way I could make a better selection of which dialect to study.Thanks!
Calphon of the Woodland realm and Lord in the courts of Thranduil
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Post Dialect selection
on: January 02, 2014 12:49
Calphon said:I was wondering which dialect is most like Nandorin, that way I could make a better selection of which dialect to study.Thanks!

My guess, from flipping back and forth in my encyclopedias, would be Silvan Elvish. But that does not seem to be among the languages under the Forum “Languages”. It’s probably best for you to get in touch with the language moderators gwendeth and Malinornë.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
This is a question for the languages forums. I'll be checking with the involved moderator to move it there.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
Calphon
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for your input.
Calphon of the Woodland realm and Lord in the courts of Thranduil
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Post Dialect selection
on: January 15, 2014 05:09
Calphon said:I was wondering which dialect is most like Nandorin, that way I could make a better selection of which dialect to study.Thanks!

Nandorin isn't really like either Sindarin or Quenya (which aren't dialects, but distinct languages). There are 30 known words of Nandorin (http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/nandorin.htm),

Some of the words bear resemblances (due to the roots they come from) to words in both Quenya and Sindarin. There is also the issue that the Silvan dialect was essentially lost, as we know that Nimrodel was one of (if not the) last speaker of her language.
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
Calphon, as you're interested in Mirkwood and Silvan Elvish, Sindarin would be a better choice than Quenya for you to study.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, and Sindarin is very similar to Celtic Languages as well, so if you are familiar with the sounds of those languages, Sindarin is the way to go. It is sometimes said that Quenya is more melodic and Sindarin is bolder, but Sindarin contains many consonant mutations with Lenition, Nasal Mutation, etc., so much of the boldness is softened by those mutations.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email