Register

Author Topic:
mythryl
Council Member
Send Message
Post Recommended Reading
on: February 06, 2014 06:42
Aiya,
If you are serious about learning any of the languages by Tolkien then I heavily recommend the Languages Of Tolkien's Middle-Earth book by Ruth Noel. Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Languages-Tolkiens-Middle-earth-Ruth-Noel/dp/0395291305
It provides lot of interesting things about all of the languages that Tolkien created and dictionaries for them all. I really recommend getting it if you are serious for learning.
Thank you
“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future” - Lady Galadriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have read it previously, and it is a very good resource. Thank you, mythryl.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Precious Middle Earth
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you so much mythryl Just bought it now and can`t wait for it to arrive
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Even though I am not studying a language, I have that book as well. It is a very informative book. There is a message from the author in the very beginning and it is lots of fun to translate.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 03/05/2014 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Sorry to spoil the fun, but Ruth Noel's book is extremely outdated. If you really want to learn Quenya the only good way is via the internet (this site e.g. has a good course: http://www.councilofelrond.com/readingcats/quenya-workbook/).
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, the book is dated 1980 but Quenya is not the only language covered. I especially liked the chapter on the Runes. The Tolkien Dictionary in the book covers not only Quenya but Sindarin as well and there is also a pronunciation guide. The chapter that translates quotations is good for someone like myself who is not really studying a language but just wants to know what some of the Elvish quotes in the books mean. The English to Elvish glossary is also useful.

The book, of course, does not even come close to studying a language here on the Council of Elrond. It is merely a little book, with a little information, to offer a little help in studying a little bit of Tolkien's languages.

If I did study a language it would be Quenya.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email