Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LithonielGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post How would you dress to look more Elvin?
on: March 23, 2014 12:39
Mae Govan'nen my fellow CoE members. I'm newbie here and fresh to the role-playing scene. I was wandering what would things could i do to help me to dress more Elvish? I have fair skin, blue eyes and light brown hair. I'm 17 years old and a girl who loves LOTRs deeply and i was wandering what i could do to look more elvish? Just once i would love to dress as an elf for role playing.

And thank you to all those who have helped me so far. But i would love some more help, please?

[Edited on 03/25/2014 by LithonielGreenleaf]

[Edited on 04/24/2014 by LithonielGreenleaf]
El sila erin lu e-govaned vin. (A star shines on the hour of our meeting)
addy
Council Member
Send Message
I suggest to find a lot of things in a soft mossy green...like eye makeup, nail polish, filmy skirts and tops, even a bit of hair color to hilight with ( hair either really long or really short pixie cut).
then Mascara only on the outer 2/3 of the eyelashes for a butterfly effect.
Delicate silver jewelry, preferably that tinkles softly when you move.
Practice walking lightly, and tilt your head to the side a bit when talking to people sometimes.
LithonielGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for that addy. I will be sure to do that.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
A floor length gown with long full sleeves in a deep green velvet is my choice. (Arwen wore many colours...deep blue, dark red, grey, light green.)

Minimal makeup, soft brown eyeshadow, dark brown mascara, very light blush and lip gloss, clear nail polish. Skinny braids on the sides of your hair pulled to the back and held with a silver clasp.

Shoes can be difficult. I have flat, dark grey, lace up boots. I also was lucky enough to find LotR Elven ears and an Elven brooch in a costume shop but that was years ago. I wear the ears a lot, really a lot, and have lots of fun with them. Ebay maybe. I agree with addy about the silver jewelry and something that tinkles is a good idea.

A lot of it is attitude. I believe that I am an Elf when I wear my ears. Knowing a few Elvish phrases also helps.

I would suggest looking in second hand stores for clothes and I like to always wear something sparkly. Let us know what you find.

Nice avatar
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
LithonielGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Addy and Lindarielwen. Both of these have been very helpful. I will be sure to try and do these!!! After all, i see myself with an Elvin heart, so these will help, greatly. I'm glad there are others who are like me. Thanks again and feel free to message me.
Jedi.Elf.Queen
Council Member
Send Message
I find myself in the same situation as you. I actually look like an Elf, so I accent that by keeping my hair really long and pulled back. Any half-up braided hairstyle is good. I sometimes even curl my hair like Galadriel.

Clothes: flowing is good. I have a knee-length white skirt and when I wear it I actually feel like I'm Galadriel.

Jewelry: Someone above said delicate and silver, and I'm here to expand on that. Tolkien based the Elves on Celtic myth. Jackson based Elven architecture and design on Celtic design. Silver jewelry with Celtic knots is perfect.

The most important part is the way you carry yourself. Hold yourself upright, and walk softly. I sometimes even do a ballet walk or run. Speak like the characters in the movie: eloquent, with old-fashioned grammar. Throw in some Elvish words.
"The Star in their hands, for the rest of their lives"
LithonielGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, all that have helped me so far. I appreciate it.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
You know, it does not matter what I wear, always a dress anyway, but it is the ears. The pointy ears! I love my pointy ears. I think it is the pointy ears that make me look more Elvish.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
So how about someone who is short, with rusty red hair, chocolate eyes, and a monsterously pale complexion? Also known as, me?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, and if it clears anything in the above post up, I've always seen myself as more Silvan than Sindar, if that helps any.

This thread may help me with a prom dress!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
How can one dress like an Elf without everyone thinking that I'm crazy?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I recevied advice from Lindarielwen with this. Wear earthy toned clothing and taller boots, if your going for a Silvan look. Otherwise, loose, stretchy and light colored fabrics, lots of white with maybe a touch of glitter. Sparkly jewlery.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Don't forget the braids and the pointy ears!

Oh, and Cenor, let them think you are crazy!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I wear the braids. I would probably be a silvan elf. Our homeschool group does a thing called History Night. You bassically dress like some one from history and give a speech as if you are this person. I'm trying to convince my mom to let me be a lady from the Middle ages. Partially because I'm interested in her mostly becaue she dressed like a man which the clothing is similar to LOTR.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That would be fun, Cenor!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I also learned that one can walk quieter on the ball of ones foot slightly bending the knee.
EruviluiGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with tall, leather boots. I wear tall boots wherever I go...I also keep my hair in some sort of a braid or loose pony-tail once my hair has been braided - mainly because I work as a Licensed Veterinary Technician and am required to keep my hair back.

I also wear silvery or earthy jewelry or no jewelry at all. I wear light make-up on the weekends but nothing during the work week.
"In gratitude for this second chance, I'll prove 'til I depart; I may not have the legs or lungs, but I have a racer's heart." ~Anonymous
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I am so happy. I purchased a dark green shirt and a silver [b]leaf[/b] necklace and earings.
Kiresa
Council Member
Send Message
I live in a teeny tiny town with no costume shops (which makes me cry...) I'm Asian, I have long black, slightly wavy hair, brown eyes... Kind of a round face, which is bad for Elf role-playing, they all have long, pointed, shapely faces
I have a pair of silver 'elf ears', but I have no clue how else to go about this...
I'm learning Elvish (Can't decide between Sindarin and Quenya). I still suck at it. This language is HARD... The first thing I memorized how to say in Quenya was "Go kiss an orc."
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Do not worry about the shape of your face. Remember, Peter Jackson interpreted the look of the Elves in his own way.

You do not need a costume shop. All you need is a long dress with long sleeves. My *Elf* dress is one of the dresses I normally wear. It is a long, dark green velvet dress with long sleeves. I braid the sides of my hair, put on my pointy ears and voila', I'm an Elf.

Are there any second hand shops where you live? Goodwill? Salvation Army? They are great places to look for long dresses.

Welcome to the Council of Elrond.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Kiresa said:I live in a teeny tiny town with no costume shops (which makes me cry...) I'm Asian, I have long black, slightly wavy hair, brown eyes... Kind of a round face, which is bad for Elf role-playing, they all have long, pointed, shapely faces

Mae govannen Kiresa! Welcome to the Council of Elrond!

I think the movie Legolas visual depiction gives the impression that elves have light/blonde hair. The Noldorian elves were primarily dark-haired, so I think there is room to work with something. Take a look at this concept art by Chris Anyma, or this depiction of a shieldmaiden for examples. I don’t have a picture, but when I was at the Abbey Medieval Festival last year I saw three Asian ladies who were friends dress up as Noldorian Elves. They looked quite impressive.

I think you could make yourself up to be quite a stunning and exotic looking elf!

I agree Lindarielwen! And that description sounds like a lovely Elven costume you have made!

[Edited on 02/28/2015 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That's true, Arveleg. There are many Elves, espeically some of the extras in the movies, with darker hair. Lindir, who spoke in the book FotR but was in the movie AUJ, comes to mind. Even Arwen and Elrond have darker hair.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Kiresa said:I live in a teeny tiny town with no costume shops (which makes me cry...) I'm Asian, I have long black, slightly wavy hair, brown eyes... Kind of a round face, which is bad for Elf role-playing, they all have long, pointed, shapely faces
I have a pair of silver 'elf ears', but I have no clue how else to go about this...

Being Asian doesn't mean one can't be an Elf! I'm Korean so I have understanding What "Elven Look" are you looking for?
4EVERELVISH
Council Member
Send Message
I am 13 , Aboriginal (not completely, but a good deal, enough to notice it) I have shoulder length dark brown hair, and hazel eyes, with glasses. I'm not allowed to wear contacts, and there is no way I can just stop wearing glasses, I'm on my third prescription and I don't know how I can possibly look even remotely like an elf because I'm short and have glasses!!!!!!!!
''For an eternity I have waited for you, and now another eternity I must spend with my heart whispering your name.''
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I think a lot of it has to do with attitude. If you THINK you look like an Elf, then you DO look like an Elf. Don't be daunted by your glasses, ignore them and so will everyone else. I pay no attention to mine. I have skinny ribbons hanging from the frame where it meets the lens.

Read my above post. I think the hardest thing is the pointy ears. I got mine at a store that sells party goods but I got them in 2005 but I think you can try costume shops or even eBay.

Braid the sides of your hair, get a long dress and off you go. You don't even need the pointy ears! What you do need is the attitude. I'm 5'2", hardly tall enough to be an Elf by Tolkien's standards but not short enough by mine.
LadyTook
Council Member
Send Message
Go with a flowy under piece in a moss green, should be about knee length. Then wear some light brown pants with leather boots. Add on top of the under garment, like a dark green overpiece and add a brown vest on top .
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I need hints as to how to camouflage my increasing resemblance to Sam as portrayed (one of the best portrayals in the whole LoTR movie trilogy) by Sean Astin! Image
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
LadyTook said:Go with a flowy under piece in a moss green, should be about knee length. Then wear some light brown pants with leather boots. Add on top of the under garment, like a dark green overpiece and add a brown vest on top.

Mae govannen LadyTook! Sounds like you may be into costuming? I passed your tips on to a friend who wanted something that looked quite Elvish and was also practical for a day's wear at a medieval fantasy faire.

Gandolorin said:I need hints as to how to camouflage my increasing resemblance to Sam as portrayed (one of the best portrayals in the whole LoTR movie trilogy) by Sean Astin!

Are you a gardener perhaps???
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email