Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Dragon's Breath Pub (the new newbie pub)
on: June 04, 2014 11:53
[I got permission from the mod. to start a new newbie pub. So here is the Dragon's Breath. Just a few things I would like to say. Remember to read the Roleplaying rules. Please keep out of RP discussion in the brackets. Animal's are welcome just be responsible and leave big ones outside. Also be reasonable and keep Non-Tolkin animals out of this thread please. The Dragon's Breath has stables and a pen for larger dogs other animals can come in the pub. My character is Surdoc Underhill the pub's owner and he desperately needs some help to manage his pub. He has several rooms suited for any race. Any visitor is welcome. I have another character also that won't be introduced until later. Now this is my first RPing so bear with me ]

Surdoc opened the window and breathed the sweet air. Today was a good day to be a pub owner, he thought, but only if he had a helper.
"Oh well," he said to himself, "better start the day."

[learn more about Surdoc in the RPG characters in fan creations. Have fun.]

[Oops forgot to say this is set near Bree after the war of the Ring but evil still lurks even though Saron is gone]

[Sorry about all the edits I just keep adding after I read the rules again.]

[Edited on 06/05/2014 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
[At this second, my character is not yet entered into the database. It will happen shortly.]

Gaea walked slowly and wearily into Bree. She had journeyed long and far from Edoras, walking solely for the purpose to see Middle Earth, but now found her travels tiresome. She felt that the time would soon draw near for her to return to Edoras.

At long last, she stumbled upon an inn. She could not read the name-the sign on the front of the wood worn building was too ancient to read- but, sensing no danger, she went inside and looked around.

It was vacant, except for a tired looking man that was behind the counter. Assuming that he was the owner, Gaea went closer to him and said, "Excuse me? I am a traveler, and I am travel-worn. Do you have any rooms available? I have little coin, but I am sure that I could repay you in some way. Some hot drink would be nice, too."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc looked wearily from across the counter at the customer. She was tall and had the looks of the Rohirrim. He himself had never been to Rohan but he had had customers from there before.
"I've got some hot grog in the back," he said shyly, "Would you prefer downstairs or upstairs? Do you have any animal's?
He wished he had the courage to tell her that she could work for him for her food and bed. He silently excused himself and walked of to get her grog. Hobb, a graying hound dog, limped over to sniff at the stranger.

[Edited on 06/06/2014 by Cenor]
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gaea reached her hand down to pat the nose of the dog at her feet. It barked and rubbed against her arm. "I have my horse Bana teather outside to the rail," she said. "He could use some freash hay and water; do you have a stable? And downstairs would be preferable, if you please."

The innkeeper went to the back and returned with her drink, steam coming off of the top of it like snow off of the mountains. Gaea took it greatfully and held it between her hands. "Thank you, sir, Mister, ah..." she couldn't remember if the funny little man had told her his name. "How can I repay you?"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Surdoc...Underhill," he stammered. "Well I do need some help but all I can give food and bed not much money right now."
Surdoc hurried away and tended to the horse, what was it's name? Oh yes Bana. After giving it fresh water and hay he scurried back into the pub. Hobb was enjoying getting his ears rubbed by the stranger.
"I have a room ready, um, what name should I put it under."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Apologies," Gaea said, rising. "My name is Gaea, Mr. Underhill." The dog barked, but she ignored it temporarily to continue the buisness side of the conversation.

"Thank you for housing Bana. He has rode a far distance, and requires rest. As do I. I would be glad to help you around the inn to pay for the room and the service. I am capable of most tasks, so if you tell me what needs to be done, I can begin helping right away."

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Your welcome Gaea," Surdoc said smiling, "and thank you for offering to help right away but I think you need rest."
Surdoc led Gaea down a long hall and unlocked one of the doors for her revealing a tidy room. It's walls were the color of a clear morning sky and the bed and curtains matched. One clear, pristine window let the sun come streaming in. It was one of his best rooms newly refurbished. He figured he should make a good impression on those whom he wished to hire.
"There you are Gaea make yourself at home."
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
PB saw an Inn in the distance. As he approached the elderly Hobbit struggled to put his travel worn attire into a more respectable shape. He had the material and the sewing kit, but there'd been no place on the road for him to stop and repair the elbows of his longcoat.
"Here we go Mellow," he said to his donkey, "perhaps we can get you some decent greenery to chew on', and while looking down at his belt, now tightened to the point where the ends dangled to below his pockets, he added; 'And may be I'll get me a bit more to eat than I've found in my foraging over the last several weeks."
PB entered the gate, and immediately headed for the stable so as to take care of Mellow before he worried about his own care.

[Edited on 06/09/2014 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The walls made Gaea remember the ocean she had seen once, or of melting snow coming off of the mountains. The lace of the curtains perfectly matched that of the bedspread. A lamp filled with oil sat on the desk, where she set her things. Through the open window, she heard Bana whinnying, happy about something.

Gaea shut the door and was surprised to find that it locked. Most of the rooms she had been in were not that accomadating.

She vowed to herself that she would begin to help Surdoc in the morning; now, she required rest above all else.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc hurried down the hall to the main room just as a tired looking hobbit entered. His clothes were threadbare and dirty. To be truthful this hobbit was the thinnest hobbit Surdoc had ever seen.
"Hello my good hobbit," Surdoc called out cheerfully, "how may I help you?"
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
'How do you do?[ Pb replied. 'My name is Potbelly Hairyfoot. I'm the former Innkeeper from the Forsaken Inn, but I sold the Inn some time ago and I've been wandering the wide world west of the Anduin ever since.'
'I'd like a mug of ale and a meal, and later a room with access to a bath. Wandering may be great for Rangers but it wears on a Hobbit so I'd like to stay awhile if I may'.
Pb was shown to a table with raised bottom stools meant to put Hobbits at a proper height. He gave a little smile as this showed him that the Inn must have , at least occasionally, visits from other Hobbits. He was soon presented with a large mug of a deep brown ale and a steaming bowl of stew.'
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gaea woke up some time later and closed her window before combing through her hair and going to see if Surdoc required any help. She had assumed that the inn would have picked up in buisness since her rest, but she found it nearly as empty as it was when she arrived. A hobbit sat at one of the shorter tables, with a mug of ale and a bowl of food, looking deep in thought.

Gaea approached the innkeeper and said, "Hello again, Mr. Underhill. Do you require any of my services now?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc nodded as the hobbit spoke. He himself had doubts that the poor thing could pay but he served a meal anyways. His mother had always said that he had a soft heart. Surdoc nearly jumped when Gaea asked him if she could help.
"Umm," he thought, "the place seems fine right now. If you like you could help me plan my menu so I can order the food I need from Bree."
He shuffled around in his drawer until he found a piece of paper and a pen.
"Here I'll name the stuff I need and you can write the order."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gaea stared at the paper blankly, and the clear cream swam before her eyes. How could she admit to her new employer that she couldn't read or write? Would he make her leave? That was not the impression she received from the hobit, but people were not always as you perceived them. Gaea had learned that far too well.

"If you do not mind, Mr. Underhill," She said plainly, "Could you write the order? I fear I have suffered injury to the wrist and cannot write. Or, if you think that I am too unfamiliar with the kitchen, i could give the counters and tall cupboards a good dusting." She smiled. "Im tall enough to reach without a stool."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
The crestfallen look on Gaea's face made Surdoc wonder.
"If you do not mind, Mr. Underhill," she said, "Could you write this order? I fear I have suffered injury to the wrist and cannot write. Or,if you think that I am too unfamiliar with the kitchen, I could give the counters and tall cupboards a good dusting. I'm tall enough to reach them without a stool."
Surdoc laughed, "Go ahead Gaea I'm afraid that my stool broke some time ago and I haven't been able to go to Bree. I'll write the order. If your wrist needs attention I can look it over don't strain it. Its the worst thing you could do for it."
Surdoc whistled merrily as he descended into the cellar. Hmm it looked like he needed more salt pork. He clumsily wrote it down. His handwriting was hardly legible having had little training in his Letters. He would leave for Bree this time because he needed ingredients for his homemade ale. He could leave Gaea but he still needed to test her honesty. True she looked to be a trustworthy girl but people aren't always the same on the inside. Then he remembered the stranger hobbits bath. He ran hurriedly out to fetch water.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gaea breathed a sigh of relief as Surdoc hurried down into the cellar. She knew her secret would not be hidden for much longer, but now, there was nothing more she could do other than bask in releif. She looked behind the counter and picked up a clean rag.

The dust and grime on top of the shelves was very thick, and periodically Gaea had to shake it out of an open window. At each glance, there seemed to be more people coming down the road. Some looked questioningly inside the inn, like they had half a mind to stop in.

As Gaea snapped the rag, the dog got to its feet and barked at her, trying to snatch the rag. Gaea laughed and pet it behind it's ears before moving on to the next shelf.
Finnr
Council Member
Send Message
Flóki had heard tell of a new up-and-coming pub and wanted to check it out. New establishment means people would travel to see it, which means potential work! Surely someone will have a dull blade or some other need for a smith he thought to himself.

Walking into the pub it looked promising, there were already others there even a woman cleaning. "Hello are you the owner of this establishment? I noticed you cleaning from outside." he said approaching her as she cleaned.
finnr_sig
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Hello!Are you the owner of this establishment? I noticed you cleaning from outside."

Gaea turned towards the voice and someonme standing there. "Oh!" She said quickly, hopping down and wiping her hands on her dirty dress. "I am not the owner, but I would be happy to show you to a seat and get you something to drink. Would you like a room?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc hurried back from preparing the Hobbit's bath. He saw Gaea talking with a dwarf. Oh goodhe thoughtperhaps he will sharpen my knives. For months he had chopped vegetables and meat with dull knives.
"Hello master dwarf," he called, "How may I help you.
Gaea at his return had excused herself and had returned to wiping the shelves. But before the dwarf could answer the door swung open and a hooded and cloaked stranger entered.
"I need a stable for my horse," said a rough but definitely woman's voice, "I will be meeting someone here in a few days so I will need a room. My name is Rodwen."
Finnr
Council Member
Send Message
"Yes sir-," Flóki managed to say before he was interrupted by a woman barging through the door. Startled, he took a defensive pose but quickly released it and continued his prior conversation.

"Yes sir, I would like nothing more than a pint. I'll just go sit down over here if you want to attend to the ladies more dire needs before my own; I have nothing but time currently so make no haste on my behalf." Flóki noticed a hobbit sitting at a table by himself so he walked over and sat his pack down, "mind if I sit here with you Master hobbit?" he said in a rhetorical manner as he sat down "I am Flóki, and am new around here."
finnr_sig
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc ran off to get the dwarf a pint. The woman stood quietly waiting for the owner. Surdoc delivered the ale then returned.
"How may I help you," he asked Rodwen.
"Here is money for the stable and room," she replied, "I will stable my horse. He does not like strangers messing with him."
She left and Surdoc went and finished the dwarf's order.
Rodwen reentered the pub and walked over to the dwarf.
"I'm sorry master dwarf for interrupting you do you have any skill with repairing or sharpening blades?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gaea stopped her dusting escapade to begin to bus tables. Seeing Surdoc's mad dashes between the counte and back to the tables made her nervous. She feared that the little hobbit would trip and hurt himself, if not others.

"Surdoc," She said as he ran behind the counter. He jumped as if he was startled. "I can take care of the tables and orders. You retrieve what they ask for from the kitchens, and I will bring it out to their table."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"That would be fine," Surdoc gasped. He then went into the kitchen muttering "Salt pork, ale, cold roast beef."
He descended into the cellar and brought back a keg of salt pork. Then he went about cooking it. Gaea ran back and forth delivering meals to the hungry travelers.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Geae grabbed a chipped plate from the counter and set it before the same Hobbit who had been the first customer of the day. "There you go," she muttered before passing on to her next customer.

"Miss!" someone yelled from the center of the room. "Another cup of ale!"

"Coming!" Gaea called, heading back to the counter. Surdoc ran as fast as his short legs could carry him, from the counter to the cellar to the kitchens and then back again. Occasionally he would step out onto the floor to have a quick banter with his customers.

Gaea set the pint down on the table that had ordered it, and a grabbed the three coins that served as pay for the meal already ordered from a different table. She returned to the front counter, placed the three coins into the wooden cup Surdoc was keeping them in, and then went back out onto the serving floor.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc lit a fire in the main room. He and Gaea sat amoung the talkative travelers. He watched Gaea walk over and start a conversation with the mysterious women.
Finnr
Council Member
Send Message
Flóki sat in silence drinking his ale with no response from the hobbit across from him. He turning to the now stationary hobbit sitting at a table near by and began saying, "Sir, you asked me before about sharpening knives; I presume you are the owner of this establishment and I can indeed sharpen your knives which I will do for you so you can see a glimpse of the crasftmanship. I am also looking for some steady work and would be very grateful if there are any travelers that you come across that need a smith you would send them to me. I have the equipment in my pack to build a small make shift forge for the time being until I am able to buy my own forge in this area."

Sitting there for a moment Flóki realized he had not formally introduced himself but instead rudely went straight into asking for help, "I am sorry, I didn't introduce myself; I am Flóki Firebeard a traveling merchant and blacksmith." He took the final drink emptying his mug and firmly placed it back on the table then let out a refreshed gasp.
finnr_sig
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gaea had been taken with one of her patrons since she had walked in the door. Rodwen her name was, and unlike many of the customers Gaea had tended top that evening, she was polite and courteous and smiled when she spoke. She was the only woman in the inn to have ordered a cup of ale.

"Have you worked here long?" she asked as she took a long gulp of it.

"No, not long at all," Gaea answered. "I come from the realm of Rohan and I am here only for temporary help, just so I can pay for my room and board."

Rodwen finished her cup of ale and sighed. "I hope that this evening goes swift for you. You seem tired." She handed Gaea six coins, smiled, and said, "Keep the change."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Well," Surdoc said,"There is an old abandoned shed where you could set up a temperary shop. Let me run get my knives."
While the Hobbit ran off Rodwen talked on with Gaea.
"I have been to Rohan with my brother once. That is where I got Cornix. In fact I will be meeting my brother here in a few days."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"I have been to Rohan with my brother once. That is where I got Cornix. In fact I will be meeting my brother here in a few days," Rodwen said.

"I hope that you have enjoyed your time in my country," Gaea said, slightly surprised that a lady such as Rodwen would go to Rohan. "And I saw your horse outside in between my tables. He seems a very proud mount; I hope that he serves you well for many a year."

Not wanting to leave the conversation but needing to at the same time, Gaea said, "If you will please excuse me for a moment, I need to check with my employer. Please, feel free to sit as long as you'd like to, I will be back in a few moments to see if you would require a room." What a fascinating lady.

Gaea went over to Surdoc who was avidly speaking to a customer and handing him knives. When she got a better look at the customer, Gaea was startled. A dwarf! She waited until Surdoc was done speaking and said, "When do you think the crowd will be dying down?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"It will vary," Surdoc sighed, "You can retire if you like."
Finnr
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc quickly returned with multiple knives of varying lengths, all dull from what looked like years of wear. Taking them, Flóki looked and pondered about them for a moment and said, "I can have these sharpened for you in no time! And when they are returned they should cut like a freshly crafted blade; but I am very interested in the shed you spoke of, you said it was abandoned? Is it in decent condition? I would very much like to see it."

Surdoc took Flóki outside and down a short path to where the small hut was. Once they arrived Surdoc began to say, "well here it is, not much but its not in use. Now, I still have guests inside and dont want to be gone too long so I'm going to head back."

As the hobbit shuffled his way back down the path, Flóki walked around the shed and took note of everything. It definitely needed a little work; looked like it had a small hole in the roof, a small window that was actually in good condition, and one of the hinges of the door was rusted and broken. This is great, wont take long at all to get this fixed up and in a presentable manner. It's starting to get late though I should hurry and sharpen these blades before nightfall so I can hurry back and show my gratitude Flóki thought to himself. He took out his sharpening stones and began working, as fast as his dwarf hands could work he sharpened the knives to a pristine condition. Since the sun was already down by the time he finished he made his own way back down the path so he could return the hobbit's blades and tell him how thankful he was.
finnr_sig
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"It is alright, I can stay and mind buisness," Gaea said at Surdoc's offer foir her ti retire.

After a few moments, Surdoc exited with the dwarf and they went to the back towards the old shed. It was some time later when the dwarf came back into the dining room, carrying an armfull of sharpened knives. He looked around for Surdoc, whom Gaea knew had gone down to the cellar for some sweet foods.

Hurrying forward, she said, "I can take these over to the counter for you, Master Dwarf. Would you like a mug of ale?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc came back from the cellar carrying an armload of seedcakes. He saw Gaea talking to Floki who had all his knives stacked on the counter.
"Thank you ever so much!" he exclaimed fumbling in his coin box. "You wouldn't believe how hard it is to cut meat with dull blades."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc seemed delighted at getting his knives sharpened, and Gaea nearly laughed to see how easily he was entertained. She stood up to continue her rounds at tables.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Surdoc placed his knives carefully into his knife block. For years he had cut all sorts of food with the dull blades. To celebrate he decided to make a stew the next day. Customers were thinning, as each returned home or retired to their rooms.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email