Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Over Burnt Bridges [Please see OOC to join!]
on: June 21, 2014 01:19
[[If you are seeing this thread for the first time and would like to join, please consult the OOC thread before posting in this main thread, along with all other off topic comments or ideas in regards to this thread. Please abide by all of the rules outlined in The Council of Elrond's RPG forum guidelines. Thank You!]]

Amber light from overhanging lantern's cast shadows across the crowded room. It was in an uproar, as always, because of it's position along the main roads and a result of the welcoming staff and patrons that always were in supply.

Mosaic scrubbed avidly at a stubborn stain on the counter. Someone had sloshed their drink all over and hadn't bothered to tell her. As she scrubbed, her sweaty hair fell into her eyes.

Ever since the War of the Ring ended, more people had been coming in than ever. More people lining the walls, more people at the tables, more people staring questioningly at the murals her father had painted.

Before he died.

More people coming into the inn and the tavern meant more money for she and her mother, but none of the people entering were the people Mosaic wanted to see. She knew her brother was near. She felt it.

"Mosaic!" her mother yelled from upstairs. "Get the food out to the tables quickly, please!"

Mosaic sighed and went back to the kitchens.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine finished tying Swift to to the rail then stepped into the inn. A warm homely smell filled the inn but what struck him most was the beutiful paintings that covered the walls. He felt eyes follow him as he sat down. [i]Maybe I should take the armour off[i/] he thought.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic set down a bowl of stew at the last table she had attended. The traveler pulled the bowl close to him and began to slurp the stuff up without thanking her. After waiting for an expression of gratitude for a moment, Mosaic sighed and turned away.

She was about to take her first break of the night when she saw a single traveler come in, look around hesitaintly, and then sit at one of her tables. Mosaic groaned. She couldn't leave a customer to sit waiting fo a half an hour. She forced her aching feet to forward towards his table. She noticed immediately the armor that he wore and was reminded of her father and brother. Trying to keep the tears out of her eyes, she said, "Welcome, traveler! What can I get for you? We have some rooms availiable, put perhaps you would like something to eat and drink before you rest."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Something hot would be appriated," he replied smiling wearily.
The maiden soon returned with a steaming bowl and cup.
"Thank you," he said.
She turned to leave but he caught her hand.
"Stay please you look tired and I would love some company."
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic's face turned to fire as the stranger grabbed her hand and asked her to say. For fear she would come off as sounding strange, she turned around and grabbed an extra stool from the adjacent table. "Where have you come from, traveller?" She asked without trying to sound too inquisitive. "And what is your name?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I'm Eadwine," he replied," my home was once the Westfold. But I've recently returned with King Eomer and most of the remaining army. I have no family left so I've been looking for employment from place to place. What is your name?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"My name is Mosaic," she replied quickly. "If you are intersted, I can inquire about work here. Although my mother is not always the most accomodating of people."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Mosaic is a fitting name for one who lives in such a beautiful building. Let me get a goodnight sleep," he said smiling. "But a job will be appriated."
Eadwine followed Mosaic to a empty room.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"My father was an artist, he gave me my name," Mosaic said as she led Eadwine up the steps and into one of their availiable rooms. It was not one of the best furnished, as they were full to near capacity that night, but she hoped it would do. Regardless, she said, apologizing, "This room is not the best we have, but hopefully it will suit you well. I will speak to Mother the moment I leave you here about working for a spell. Do you have any skills? Anything in particular you would like to do?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I'm afraid I've spent much of my life in the eoreds," Eadwine admitted, "But I can clean and tend horses."
Eadwine stepped into the room and threw his pack down on the floor. It had a bed and a hook on the wall but he had slept in worst. Soon he was asleep situated comfortably on the bed. He woke at dawn and dressed and came down before he realized he was the only one awake. So he sat in a corner and whittled at a piece of wood.

[Edited on 06/26/2014 by Cenor]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Tending horses will be enough!" Mosaic called as she left the room.

The next morning, she woke early as usual, and proceeded to follow through with her morning routine-feed the chickens, clean the lamps, clean the kitchen, do another wipe of the tables, and, her least favorite, awaken her mother.

Mosaic darted up the steps as loudly as she dared, fearing she would wake up those who had stayed overnight at the place. She carefully proceeded to the fourth floor and knocked on her Mother's door.

"Mother!" she called, rapping her knuckles on the door. "Time to wake up!" When there was no answer, she went in anyways, and found her mother had pulled her pillow over her head.

"Mama! Wake up! Time to start the day!" Mosaic threw open the curtains.

"Mosaic, not now," Mama groaned.

"Too late, Mama. People will be coming down to breakfast soon!"

"You can tend to them, can;t you dear?" Her mother asked. "I have a headache."

Mosaic sighed. Her mother always had a headache. "Of course, Mama." Remembering Eadwine, she added, "Would it be alright if I hired some extra help today, Mama?"

"We have all the help we need," Mama mumbled from under her covers.

"Mama. We have no one to handle the stabels and rub down the horses, and that is what the traveler offered to do."

Mama rolled over and sighed. "Whatever you say, dear. Make sure the new help knows that the pay a day is 15 coins, no more."

"Yes, mother." Mosaic only hoped that it was enough for Eadwine. She shut the door on her mother and went down the stairs. The other workers had arrived and were already preparing the morning meal.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine sat the wood aside when he saw Mosaic approahing.
"Mama said that you can take care of the horses for fifteen coins."
He nodded, "fifteen coins a week sounds fair."
He followed Mosaic to the stables so she could show him where everything was.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic met Eadwine as soon as he came down, and explained the pay. At his agreement, She walked him out to the stables so he could become familiar with the enviornment.

"This is the feeding trough," she said, gesturing to the canister of feed and hay at the entrence. "There are individual containers for each of the horses in their stalls. When someone drops a mount off, rub it down and give it water. Hang it's tack up on a peg outside of the stall door. Feed the horses evrey five hours and clean out the stalls twice a day- the tools are around back." As they walked behind the stable, she continued. "And give them water every three hours, except at night. All of your meals are included in your pay, but extra drink is not. You can stay in the same room you hve rented, unless you have accomadations elsewhere. The rent for that is fifty six coins a month. Do you have any questions?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine studied the stables. They were well built each stall was filled with horses of different breeds and colors. He listened carefully as Mosaic explained the work routine.
"I have no questions," Eadwine answered, "might as well start now."
Mosaic left as he entered a stall with a huge bay. He worked hard until the last horse was feed and watered. He returned to the inn. People filled each table and Mosaic running back and forth. He waited patiently until she sat down then he sat across from her.
"So," he said trying to strike a conversation," did you have any relations in the War?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The question struck Mosaic painfully, more so than her already aching hands and feet. "Yes," she said carefully, trying not to allow emotion to slip into her voice. "My father and my brother. And you?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Aye, my father and brother," Eadwine answered looking sadly at his hands, "both died."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira dismounted her horse, and tied it's reins to the rail. She then walked inside the crowed, bustling inn, looking for someone who seemed likely to know where she could put her horse. She stood at the door, looking around uncertainly. She thought about yelling, "Is it fine for me to make use of the stables?" but thought better of it. Her mother would be shocked if she knew what thought had crossed Nymira's mind. She smiled faintly at the thought.
Still not seeing anyone who looked as if they would be of help, she sighed and sat down at an empty table and waited for someone to come over.

[Edited on 06/30/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
A shockwave went through Mosaic at hearing Eadwine's explaination of deaths. "My papa died in the War as well," she managed. "At Helms Deep. And we still cannot find my brother. My mother says that he is dead, but...I feel that he is...here. With me. Still. Somehow." When she began to stammer, she started to knot the hem of her dress between her fingers.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a woman sit abruptly at one of the tables, looking impatient. Mosaic stood up quickly. "Excuse me, Eadwine. I have to see if this customer needs anything."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira drummed her fingers on the table. She stared at the wonderful pictures on the walls. She glanced around again, and spotted a young woman making her way towards her. Nymira studied the woman; she looked tired and overworked. Nymira stood as she approached. "Greetings." she said. "Is there somewhere I can put my horse? We've been riding for quite some time, and she is worn out."
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Yes, we have a stable," Mosaic said quickly. Although she was eager to continue conversations with Eadwine, work had to come first, especially since he was a new employee. They would be able to talk later. "Where did you leave your horse? Eadwine!" She called. "A stall for the lady's mount!"

After Eadwine rose, Mosaic asked, as politely as she could manage, "Is there anything else I can get you?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine rose and left the building. A large bay was tethered to a post. He led the bay into the stables and rubbed it down. After feeding and watering it he returned. He walked quietly over to Mosaic and waited patiently.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine seemed to tend to the horse quickly, and Mosaic was glad. She knew that Mother would eventually protest his working, and she would need fodder for showing her that he was trustworthy. She ached to continue to conversation with him, but could not bring herself to be rude to her customer.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira nodded to the stranger who had taken care of her horse. "Thank you, sir." she said. She then turned back to the woman. Nymira could sense that she was anxious to be off. "Just a bowl of stew and something to drink, if it's not too much trouble."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine nodded courteously. He watched as Mosaic served the stranger and waited in a corner seat. Mosaic soon sat down across from him. While she had been busy he had been trying to remember all the Riders he had encountered during the War.
"What is your brother like," he asked.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira ate, then rose to check on her horse. It wasn't that she didn't trust the stranger to have done a good job, but she always preferred caring for her own horse. She went outside and to the stables. She walked to the stall where her horse was. She smiled. "Hello, Naria. Was he good to you?" she rubbed Naria's soft nose and surveyed the work of the horse keeper. Not too bad, she thought. With one last pat, she went back inside the inn. She still had some time before she was expected home. She groaned at the thought. Another day, and still no work. Well, not much work to speak of. She'd only managed to get a few odd jobs here and there. Most jobs weren't for "Weak little girls like you." Or so said everyone she'd asked for a job. Humph. thought Nymira. They didn't even give me a chance to prove myself. And I am not little. She groaned when she thought of telling her parents of her failure. She was tired of letting them down. Her brother, Derik, was carrying on her father's trading company since her father had been wounded in the war, but so far, he wasn't doing that well. He didn't have the goods the people needed. With Nymira's father being injured, he was unable to find much work. So Nymira had to get a job to help support her family. But this was proving difficult. She sighed, and slumped in her seat, putting her face in her hands. What will we do if I can't get a job? she wondered woefully.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic served the stranger quickly, and not as sociably as she normally would. The stew was one of the newer batches of the day, so she knew that the customer would not have much to complain about, if she complained. After she set the stew and clean water down, she returned to Eadwine. "My brother's name is Targon," She said, "and he is nearly 25. We are so close in age and look so much alike that people used to think we were twins." She smiled at the memory. "But his hair is darker than mine, closer to brown than orange. And he is tall, fair skinned. Not that muscular. And he could make you laugh just by opening his mouth or making a face. HE could draw, but not like my father. Mostly he would smear colors on the walls of his room, but he would get in trouble for that. At the time he left, he was growing a slight beard.: She smiled. "I would tease him and ask him why he was growing fuzz from a fruit on his face. He would ask me, in reply, why I had rubbed my hair in orange dust." She quieted. "I miss him."

Mosaic watched as the stranger returned to her seat shortly after going outside. She seemed upset, but Mosaic didn't want to press her if she was. She would return to her in a few minutes to retreive her plate and ask if she needed anything else.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine thought carefully trying to recall all the faces he had seen during the war. Then he remembered, the Rider who had laughed even when the Mumakil had surrounded him.
"I think I know who your brother is. We rode together at Pellenor," he added slowly. "But we were separated when the Mumakil charged I have not seen him since."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine's words encouraged Mosaic. At least he knew of who she spoke of. "The rider you speak of, did he write often?" She asked. "Do you remember what his horse looked like? The last letter I received from Targon was a month before the said date of the battle at Pellenor."

[Edited on 07/01/2014 by findemaxam48]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Aye he wrote. We used to tease him saying the maid he wrote to must be fair indeed. Now that I see her I see that she is," he added quietly. "I believe his horse was a chestnut."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic blushed to hear of the teasing Targon underwent at the hands of his fellow soldiers. "Yes, the horse you speak of is his! Her name was Ginger. Do you think there is a chance that Targon lives?"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira sighed in frustration. She glanced over at the woman who had served her and the young man who had taken care of her horse. The young woman's voice rose in excitement, "....Do you think there is a chance that Targon lives?" Nymira looked away. "Targon?" she muttered. "I've heard that name before..." Nymira sat, thinking. Targon...Targon...maybe he came to Bree at some point? Then she remembered. Oh, Derik mentioned a Targon in his last letter! I wonder if it's the same man. She stood abruptly, and walked over to the others' table. "Excuse me, I'm sorry to interrupt, but did you just mention Targon?"

[Edited on 07/01/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I saw him not after Pellenor," he said sadly, "last I saw him he was laughing whilst charging the enemy."

"Ecuse me, sorry to interrupt, but did you just mention Targon?"

Eadwine looked at the stranger. He heard Mosaic give a strangled yes.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira cleared her throat. "May I sit down?" The young woman gave a slight nod. Nymira sat down across from them. "My name is Nymira, but most people call me Nym." She cleared her throat again. "I couldn't help overhearing you speaking of Targon." She took a deep breath, then plunged on. "My older brother, Derik, and my father both fought in the war at Pelennor. My father was a trader and merchant before the war. However, his leg was injured badly during the war, so he couldn't continue with his business. So now my brother has taken it up. The reason I have explained all this is to say that my brother traveled to Gondor. He said in his last letter that he had "met up with a friend from the war, named Targon." Papa knew him as well. He described Targon to us as tall, fair skinned, dark haired, and not overly muscular, with a beard. We was always smiling or laughing." Nymira paused a moment, before continuing. "Derik wrote," she said slowly, "That he had been to the infirmary to deliver some medicine. And he saw someone he recognized. Apparently Targon had been badly wounded in the war, but according to Derik, there is a great healer working there, and he's been taking good care of Targon. He's still weak, but in much better shape than he was." She leaned back, crossed her arms, and eyed the two sitting on the other side of the table, waiting for their response.

[Edited on 07/02/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic was shocked, first at this strangers inturruption and then at her news. "Hello, Nym!"She managed to say. "When was the last you heard from your brother, Derik, was it? Was is recently? Or was it some months ago?" She looked at Eadwine, amazed at the good fortune that had struck her in the past few days.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine felt his heart rise. Targon had cheered the eored even when everything seemed dark.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email