Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen rose with the others, and soon had her few items safely packed away in leather satchels draped over Asyleth's back. She mounted her horse and glanced around the campsite.
All traces of their stay had been removed by thorough and experienced hands that could only belong to Iorveth. He had always paid close attention to detail. Ithilwen knew that trait would be an asset on this journey; they couldn't afford to have anyone pick up their trail. She watched Iorveth for a few moments as he finished the preparations for their departure. "You were always most beautiful at dawn," he had said. Could he really have meant that?

She turned her attention to where Mosaic and Eadwine stood talking to Rovan, who's side had been expertly re-bandaged. She listened with interest to their conversation. In answer to Rovan's question, Mosaic assured him that he was not arrested. He still looked troubled when he looked back to Eadwine and said, "Thank you. For everything. I believe it is time for us to part ways."

Nym looked at him from where she was packing her bags. "How do you propose to do that, seeing as how you are still hurt? Injuries like the one you suffered do not heal quickly. We cannot afford to be seen in Edoras, and you are much to weak to travel there by yourself."

"We need to ride now and fast. I can take Rovan behind me. Swift has carried two for long distances before." Eadwine said.

Now Ithilwen spoke up. "I am in full agreement with Eadwine; we need to make haste. And your suggestion to take Rovan on your horse is a good one. He won't be able to ride by himself for a few days yet." She leaned from her saddle and picked up the reins of Rovan's horse.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"We need to ride now and fast. I can take Rovan behind me. Swift has carried two for long distances before." Eadwine said.

"I am in full agreement with Eadwine; we need to make haste. And your suggestion to take Rovan on your horse is a good one. He won't be able to ride by himself for a few days yet." Ithilwen replied.

"Unless, of course," said Nym with the barest hint of a smile, "We tied him to his horse."
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine looked sharply at Nym, had she guessed? No, her lips curved in a faint smile.
"It would depend on the horse's reaction to ropes," Eadwine answered knowing all to well how Rovan's horse would react.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
The company made ready; Iorveth had slung his few supplies, carefully wrapped and packed into their leather satches, over his unsaddled mount and prepared for the long ride he anticipated. His stomach grumbled in protest at the lack of breakfast, but he mentally stifled the need for the time being. There were hours ahead of them on horseback before a meal could be taken. No one seemed keen on taking a moment longer even for food.

The elf was silent during their brief deliberations concerning Rovan. It seemed plain that the wounded man was unable to ride solo and would have to rely on another to ferry him along. A smile, however, grew upon his lips as Ithilwen wordlessly agreed to tow Rovan's horse along and thusly end any speculation on how they would continue with their wounded companion.

"We must be swift," Iorveth had interjected a few moments later as the first rays of sunlight began to outstretch across the many leagues of Eriador to the tumbled landscape of Rohan. With that, the elf of great impatience began at a quick pace, though manageable even for Eadwine with his extra 'baggage'.

The landscape proved to be a challenging ride for the first few leagues with intermittent stones on every visible path and impassable outcroppings causing them to frequently detour for a furlong or two where easier terrain may lie. Iorveth was a competent guide, however, and was quick to scan their surroundings so as to know ahead of time when to deviate from their path.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The path was not at all worn, as Mosaic had thought. However, her companions seemed deft at travel, and she was determined to keep up.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym gently nudged Naria to a trot to catch up with Iorveth. She passed him a hunk of the bread left over from the previous night's meal, then dropped behind again to bring up the rear.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine urged Swift with his knee, using one hand to balance Rovan behind him and the other to hold the reins. The day pasted quickly, they were off the path and onto the Road, his thoughts often wandered back to when he had first traveled hard on the Road. Then they were rushing into danger, now they were running away from it. A little past midday he felt Rovan sag against him.
"We need to stop somewhere. Rovan needs a break," he called to the others.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine looked to Mosaic, saying, "We need to stop somewhere. Rovan needs a break."

"Fine," Mosaic replied. "We will rest to feed and water the horses."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Several hours passed as the group made their way over the rough countryside. They made surprisingly good time even with the rugged landscape, and this could only be attributed to the competence of their guide.

The sun was high in the sky when Eadwine called, We need to stop somewhere. Rovan needs a break,"

Ithilwen brought Asyleth to a halt and dismounted. "Iorveth, will you help me lift Rovan from Eadwine's horse?"
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Leagues of Rohan countryside passed by in an emerald green blur to the steady sound of pounding hooves. Rolling hills and rock outcroppings flanked their path in an increasing amount as they went further south-eastward and closer to the foothills of the White Mountains. These white-tipped behemoths loomed ever closer as Iorveth led them along the path he knew best from his few journeys towards the south of Middle-earth.

They came to a halt, Iorveth reluctantly so in light of the swift pace they had maintained for most of the morning; he typically rode from sunrise to sunset. Their wounded companion, Rovan, it seemed, would slow them down for the time being considering his injuries. The elf dismounted begrudgingly and nodded silently at Ithilwen's modest request.

Rovan was carefully assisted down from Eadwine's tall horse and allowed a brief respite from the jarring movement of their galloping pace. Iorveth produced from his satchel the hunk of bread Nym had passed along to him during their ride and quickly consumed it to nourish his body and stave off hunger until supper. He glanced uncomfortably at the narrow valley between rock outcroppings and sloping hillocks that laid before them. "We ought to limit our time here. Our visibility is diminished by the terrain and I do not wish to be taken by surprise out in these lands."

The horses had neighed seemingly in protest, reminding the elf that they too required food and drink. His own mount had found one of the many pools at the feet of a steep outcropping left by days of rain prior. The others seemed to follow suit and were soon helping themselves to the healthy grasses that flourished even in this stony landscape.

As all refueled themselves for another leg of the ride, Iorveth found his way to Ithilwen and placed himself beside her. He said nothing at first, surveying the slowly gathering clouds far above them obscuring the azure sky. "Do you recall the last trip we took together all those years ago? You had wanted to witness the Sea, in all of it's brazen, tumultuous glory. We departed from Rivendell and followed the Brandywine all the way to it's mouth just north of Eryn Vorn, that dark forest. And it took us so long that we resorted to hunting," Iorveth murmured reminiscently as a smile spread across his lips. "So many years, so many journeys ago. And now here we are, once more riding together across Middle-earth. The world is a different place now. Are we, too, different?"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
However better Rovan had felt in the morning - compared to the previous day, that is -, a few hours in the saddle behind Eadwine, and he was sure he would not last the day. The pace was deliberately slow, and he knew he was the reason for it, yet every step the horse took resounded in the man's wounded side, and every side-step had him grit his teeth to will himself be quiet. He was weak, and he hated that. He hated depending on others, he hated not being able to care for himself, to protect himself, to even ride his own horse! Anto looked at him every once in a while with those large dark eyes as if saying: "Master, what are we doing here?"

In short - Rovan was more than miserable. And then, he felt he started swinging in the saddle, his grip on Eadwine slipping. However hard he tried, his strength was failing him.

Rovan had virtually no idea which way he was being taken. His full concentration was on staying upright in the saddle, rather than watching his surroundings. His only relief was that he had not been arrested - apparently - and Eadwine still seemed to be his friend. Apparently.

When the other man called for stop, Rovan was both relieved and ashamed. However, it was such a relief to lay down on the ground, to let his cramped mucles loosen and relax. Some-one was checking on his bandages, and he opened one eye to try and take a peek at the damage done.

[Edited on 10/07/2014 by Nifredil]
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen allowed Rovan to relax on the ground for a few moments before kneeling to check on his wound. It was certainly better than it had been yesterday, but the jarring movement of the horse had caused it to reopen slightly, staining the bandage with more blood. She could tell he was trying to conceal his pain as she bathed the area with cool water and applied more healing salve.

After she wrapped a fresh bandage around his torso, Ithilwen untied a leather flask on a cord from her waist and uncorked it. In answer to the question in the man's eyes, she said, “This is Miruvor of Imladris, given to me by Lord Elrond. It will help replenish your strength.” She gave him a sip, then returned it to its place at her side. “If you desire something to eat, there is bread and dried fruit.” She stood. “Both of which can be eaten without assistance,” she added with a smile.

Ithilwen retrieved the food items from her saddlebags and passed them around to her companions before sitting down to eat some herself.
She had just finished consuming her humble fare when Iorveth came and sat down next to her. The nearness of him was enough to make her uncomfortable, but this feeling was exacerbated by the way in which they had parted so many years before.

They sat in silence for a few moments until Iorveth spoke. "Do you recall the last trip we took together all those years ago? You had wanted to witness the Sea, in all of it's brazen, tumultuous glory. We departed from Rivendell and followed the Brandywine all the way to it's mouth just north of Eryn Vorn, that dark forest. And it took us so long that we resorted to hunting," Here a smile spread across his handsome face that made Ithilwen's heart speed up. "So many years, so many journeys ago. And now here we are, once more riding together across Middle-earth. The world is a different place now. Are we, too, different?"

“How could I ever forget that? It turned out much differently than I had imagined it would, but perhaps better. Especially with some of those...incidents we had along the way,” she said with a light laugh. Then her tone turned wistful. “I would very much like to return there someday.”
Her gaze wandered over the beautiful countryside as she continued more seriously,
“The world has changed, and I believe we have changed with it.” She looked at Iorveth now, her silvery eyes full of meaning. “We are older, wiser, than we once were.”
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
"Wisdom often comes at a price," Iorveth had mused following Ithilwen's heartfelt reply to his earlier sentiments and reminiscing. They both had fallen silent afterwards, enveloped in the gentle calm of the Rohan countryside bathed in waxing golden sunlight. Her flawless visage positively glowed and his stomach fluttered at the sight; though few mortals could discern the nuances of Elven aging, Iorveth could plainly see that she had aged quite well over the centuries and retained every ounce of her beauty. Despite this endearing quality, he instinctively stifled these thoughts; he simply could not go down that perilous path once again.

The sun was nigh on the halfway point of it's celestial journey as Iorveth came silently to his feet and began a quick ascent up the nearest rocky outcropping to survey the surrounding lands. Not a sign of life, save the very distant peak of Edoras, could be seen from elevation; only sloping hills, green pastures, and tumbled boulders littering the countryside.

"I think we have rested long enough, perhaps. I am growing restless and we have many leagues ahead of us," Iorveth announced as he returned to camp and gestured towards his horse who knowingly came trotting to his side, ready to begin the next leg of their day's trek.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine aproached Mosaic cautiosly, not knowing if her mood had changed. He sat down next to her and twisted a piece of dry grass.
"Mosaic is it a good idea to travel through the mountains? I mean there's no way to get out of these mountians until we reach Firien Wood and then in Gondor. In two days we will have to pass through a valley that's perfect for thieves or any kind of ambush."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Mosaic, is it a good idea to travel through the mountains?" Eadwine asked as he began to twist long tufts of weeds into knots. "I mean, there's no way to get out of these mountains until we reach Firien Wood and then in Gondor. In two days we will have to pass through a valley, and that's perfect for thieves or any kind of ambush."

"Will thieves attack such a large group?" Mosaic asked, picking up a rotting once- white flower. "It seems unlikely."

Eadwine still looked unsure, but Mosaic covered herself by saying, "The people from my village will not expect us to be in the mountains. It may be rough travel..." she trailed off, staring at Rovan. Nym was still taking gentle care of him, as always. Maybe Ithilwen knew of some herb or plant to deposit into his tea.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"That's the problem. We are a large group but if they have a better position things could change. My father used to say "I would rather have a good position than more men" and I can't blame him. I know of a place where we can rest safely. My aunt lives in the Firien Wood we could replenish our supplies." Eadwine suggested.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"Dangerous or not, it is the path we must take. There is no other more direct route, and speed is of the essence." Ithilwen said from her place at Asyleth's side.

"Any unfinished conversation can be continued later. We have lingered here too long already." She glanced around a little apprehensively, but noted nothing out of the ordinary. Everything was quiet.

Perhaps too quiet.

Ithilwen shook her head to clear away these unproductive thoughts. Apparently the stress of the past few weeks was taking its toll on her.

[Edited on 10/20/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic placed her remaining blankets into her pack. "Ithilwen is right," She said. "Let us continue."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine placed Rovan in the saddle behind him. For hours and hours they rode on. The horses struggled on the steep mountain paths and rugged terrain. It was then after several hours of riding that they came upon a valley of some sorts. The cliffs rose, just above a man's head, and continued on for half a mile. Trees, the ragged unkempt kind, shrouded the top of the cliffs concealing any hostile movement. It was quiet. Too quiet. Not a bird sung or a creature stirred. It was still. deadly still.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic noticed a disturbance in the horses. Hers lifted its head, eyes wide, and sniffed wildly. "What's wrong?" she asked the animal quietly.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
The company traveled for many hours in relative silence. Dusk was falling, making it more and more difficult to see.

"What's wrong?" Mosaic, who road just in front of Nym, quietly asked her restless horse. Nym began to notice that her own mount was now exhibiting signs of nervousness. She frowned slightly. What could possibly be wrong? she wondered, glancing quickly around at the trees and cliffs surrounding the road on which they were traveling. However, even her sharp eyes could not see anything out of the ordinary through the gathering darkness.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
There was no way around Eadwine thought bitterly we must go through this or turn back. He felt for his sword and urged Swift forward.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Without warning, Mosaic's horse reared. "Whoa, boy!" She called at him, desperately trying to regain control of the animal. Her pack slid to the ground, and she quickly dismounted to retrieve it.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
While elves were typically known for their heightened senses in relation to their human or dwarven counterparts, equine senses were a marvel to even them. An increased degree of view coupled with an incredibly sensitive olfactory system made their mounts fantastic early warning devices. This came heavily into play as the company coursed their way through a narrow channel cloven through a massive rock outcropping likely the product of glacial movements capped on both sides with wide fur trees and thickets. Though Iorveth, at the head of the group, could hear nor see nothing in this narrow shaded channel, his horse sensed it far before and his steed was not the only one.

"What's wrong?" Only a few tense moments passed before their mounts began hesitating and flat out refusing to take another step before Mosaic's reared back in fear. "Whoa, boy!"

"Wildmen!" Iorveth snarled as a group of perhaps ten fur-clad figures came tumbling down the steep sides of the flanking hills just beyond the narrow path in which the company was trapped. His fierce utterance was quickly followed by the familiar creak of his trusted recurve bow flexing under the pressure of the tightly wound bowstring. An arrow was loosed and met one of the assailants just above the collar-bone; the force alone sent the Dunlending reeling to the ground. This emboldened the attackers and their speed seemingly doubled at the sight of one of their own fallen.

Another dull thump resonated through the passage as Iorveth's second arrow found it's mark; his third effort missed by a narrow margin and the attackers closed into the final one hundred feet separating them. Far above them shrouded in the heavy foliage emerged several figures with crudely crafted longbows already fitted with arrows; their bows sung as the projectiles were loosed upon the unwary company below. Iorveth could practically feel the air shifting as one flint tipped arrow soared inches passed his thigh and embedded itself into a clod of dirt.

An ear-splitting cry of equine nature split the cacophony like a bolt of lightning. Just as he was fitting a fourth arrow into his bow, Iorveth could feel his mount shifting beneath him. His steely hues glanced down to see a terrifying sight: one of those stray arrows had ended it's course in the crest of his faithful steed. A chord was struck deep within him as the animal tilted slowly at first, enough for Iorveth to slip himself from the beast's back and leap to the ground, before coming toppling down to the earth below.

[Edited on 10/29/2014 by Eldarion]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Rovan was slipping into slumber, again. He had been doing that quite a lot over the last day. He assumed it was natural, as hs body needed the sleep to work on repairing the damage that had been done to it. Still, it was annoying to play the part of a sack-of-meat on top of some-one else's horse. Well, the only good thing about it was that the horse was that of his friend's - or his previous friend. Rovan wasn't very sure they could still be considered friends. He and Eadwine had not exchanged many words since mounting the horse together.

Another factor to be irritated about was to be placed in front of the rider - the weakling's place. Granted, Rovan was terriby weak due to his injusry, but still... It hurt his pride more than anything else. His rational mind agreed that it was the most reasonable place for him to be, as he was too weak to sit up by himself and hold on to the person in front, but his pride just refuser to agree with the reasoning.

All those thought running in circles through Rovan's head, and the night approaching, and the rocking pace of Eadwine's horse was getting heavy on his eye-lids. That was, until they started on the rocky passage and the horse's stepping became uneven. Rovan had to wince quite a lot every time the horse stepped on a loose stone or made a small jump to avoid a hole in the ground.

As drowsy as he was, the horse's tense ears and the nervous tremor of the animal's skin chased the sleep away instantly. However, it still was too late. The moment Rovan's head snapped up, the arrows had already started flying, and the male elf's shout "Wildmen!" proved that the group was in serious problem.

Rovan sat up so suddenly the world went black,the pain in his side so sharp he lost his breath for a second. His sword arm went for the blade - and grasped empty air at his left side where the familiar hilt would normally be. Damn!

Behind him, Eadwine had his blade already in his hand, his left one struggling to keep the horse under control. Rovan realized he was an obstacle.

Another man in his place would have considered jumping off the horse to give the other warrior more space to fight, or to get out of the way of those bloody arrows - but Rovan was an Eorlinga, a former Rider of the Mark, and the only occasion a Rider would leave his saddle was if his horse was injured or dead.

"Give me the reins!" Rovan suggested Eadwine, "you'll have your hands free to fight."

The other man didn't hesitate. As Rovan's hands took Swift's reins, the horse tossed its head, the animal smelling freshly spilt blood and getting agitated.

"Steady, boy, steady..." Rovan said, trying to keep his voice calm and confident. He hoped he sounded more confident than he felt, his side throbbing like hell. He could only hope he'd prove to be strong enough to stay in saddle until the battle was over.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine ducked as a crude arrow whizzed sharply overhead then smacked into the rocky cliff. He kept Swift positioned in front of the girls. Nym, he knew, was armed, Mosaic however was defenseless. He gladly tossed Rovan the reins, also he slipped his dagger to his fellow rider. The wildmen rushed them. Eadwine had no time to grab his ax from his pack so instead he used his sword. A cry from behind caught his attention. A wildman had cornered Mosaic's horse. All of a sudden a scene flashed before him, a small girl running away from Dunlandings.
"Gytha!" he cried outloud.
Rovan turned Swift towards Mosaic. With one stroke Eadwine sliced the Wildman in half. Breathing heavily he turned to glance at Iorveth. A warning cry from Nym made him turn back just in time to see several more wildmen coming down from the cliffs, one in particular leaping at him. He had no time to move. He was shoved off Swift. His head hit a rock as he landed. His vision blurred and his head rung. Dazed he lay still on the ground.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic held the cool steel hilt of the dagger, but before she could do anything with it, one of the men was before her, cornering she and her horse in. Just as she raised the dagger, Eadwine swept in, with phantoms about his face. Moments later, he fell to the ground, revealing a horrified Nymira behind him.

Mosaic strode forward, towards Nym.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Seeing Eadwine fall, Nym quickly slipped from her saddle, bow in hand, and ran to his side. He was dazed, but not hurt badly, she was relieved to see. But he would be out of the fight for the time being. She heard of a yell from behind and turned just in time to see a Wildman charging directly towards her. Nym placed an arrow on the string, drew, aimed, and fired, all in a smooth practiced motion. However, she was unused to shooting at something charging her, and she rushed her shot, so that the arrow was driven into the Wildman's shoulder rather than his heart. He fell, screaming in an agony of pain, clutching at his ruined shoulder. She had no time to think about what she had just done because just then she heard another blood curdling battle cry, this time from the other side of Eadwine. Nym took a deep breath and turned to face her new opponent. She placed another arrow on the string, drew, aimed, and fired again. This time, she didn't rush and the shaft found it's mark. The Wildman's battle cry was cut off abruptly as he fell. He did not move again.

Now Nym saw Mosaic coming towards her, a dagger gripped in her hand.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Rovan was momentarily surprised to be handed a weapon. That meant trust. Eadwine trusted him enough to give him a dagger. He trusted him...
He barely remained in saddle when Eadwine was yanked out of it. Swift reared at the sudden change of weight, and only the long years spent astride provided him with the the skill and the reaction.
"Whoa! Easy, boy!" he took a firm hold of the reins and convinced the horse he was in control.

A quick look around revealed Eadwine getting up from the fall he had taken, and both girls next to him, on foot. The elves seemed to be holding their own, though.

Rovan hesitated. There were too many of the attackers, too many! There was no way they could escape the wildmen! Not on foot. He still had a chance. If he got away, he could keep pursuing orcs, taking his revenge on them, the only thing he cared about in the world...

But then, those that had helped him in his need would perish. But he was unarmed. If he had a bow, ot at least a sword - but he had nothing but a dagger in his hand.

Two more wildmen came straight at the girls. Eadwine was up and took a stand to face the attackers, but there was another behind them drawing his bow.

Rovan made up his mind. Cursing his stupid heart that just wouldn't let his self-preservation instinct get him safely out of this trouble, he turned Eadwine's horse towards the bowman and kicked in his heels. With a crazy yell, he charged the man hoping to het him under Swift's hooves.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Dazed Eadwine rolled over and grabbed his sword. His head pounded as he stood up. Mosaic stood to his left holding a dagger, Nymira, with drawn bow, stood to his right. The first attacker fell to her arrow the next to Eadwine's sword. Just then he heard Rovan shout. Turning he saw Swift trampling a Wildman, who still held his bow. He nodded his head in thanks to his once fellow Eorlinga. Slowly Eadwine edged the girls towards the horses. He had accessed the situation, there were too many Wildmen.
"Get out of here!" he shouted at the girls, "there are too many! Get to Gondor while you still have the chance! I'll hold them off!"
With that he vaulted onto Swift's back lifted Rovan from the saddle and plopped him on his own horse. Then he rode out to meet the oncoming Wildmen.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 10/31/2014 by Cenor]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic dropped her knife and hastily tried to reach her now panicked horse. The animal was too frightened; she couldn't get a grip on the reigns.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Rovan almost blacked out during the transfer from one horse to another. His just-closed wound stretched and he suspected it might have opened again. At least the pain was bad enough.

However, sitting astride his own faithful mount, he felt a million times better already. The very feel of Anto's well-known back and sides made him steadier and more confident. As Rovan patted the horse's neck and took his reins, he heard Eadwine's bold claim.

The noble fool! He was surely getting himself killed.

Something was reaching up from a long-forgotten past: the feeling of standing shoulder-to-shoulder with his brothers-in-arms. He had turned his back on that reality years ago, but it slammed home with a full force, and it had Eadwine's face and voice. Cursing to himself like he had rarely done, Rovan reached for his saddle bags and gratefully felt his old bow and quiver brush against his hand. Pulling it out, the man spurred Anto forward in hopes to reach Eadwine's side before it was too late. If this was going to be his last fight, he was going to make it count, but he wouldn't leave Eadwine's side.

[Edited on 10/31/2014 by Nifredil]
In the Realm of Ulmo
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen, at the back of the line and burdened as she was by the extra horse, lost sight of her companions when they rounded a bend in the narrow mountain pass. A moment later the frightened whinnies of their horses reached her ears, and Asyleth grew skittish. "Daro, Asyleth." The horse came to a halt, and Ithilwen leaned down to the horse's ear. "Prestad?" Asyleth shook her mane in response, telling Ithilwen that something was, indeed, wrong. She had just begun checking her weapons when the sounds of a fight started in the vicinity of the main group.

"Wildmen!" There was sound of metal on metal and a hiss of arrows. Mentally, Ithilwen calculated the position of the enemy and came to a quick decision. She sheathed her daggers and slung her strung bow over her shoulder. Quickly, she guided her horse to the sheer wall of the pass. "Avo visto, Asyleth!" balancing carefully, she rose to a standing position on the horse's back, and reached up for a handhold on the rocky surface. Next came one leg, then the other. Finally, muscles burning after repeating this sequence several times, Ithilwen reached the top. One look around told her that her bow would not be of much use. As soon as the Wildmen realized they were being fired on from behind, they could easily drop down into the dense brush and hide until she ran out of arrows. No, she would need a new plan.

Ithilwen tested the direction of the wind. Perfect. Crouching low, she made her way toward the enemy and circled around to their right flank. When roughly 30 feet away from the main group, she stopped at the edge of a dense thicket and took out her dagger and flint. Within a few moments the brush had caught and Ithilwen was off again, this time dragging a burning branch through the dry grass as she went. Several arrows zipped by her head, but missed. Soon there was a wide arc of flame burning rapidly towards the Wildmen, hemming them in on all sides.

A few moments later she reached the place where she had climbed up. Tossing the burning branch behind her, Ithilwen quickly descended and leaped onto her horse's back. Ithilwen notched an arrow to the string of her powerful bow and cried to her mount, "Noro, Asyleth!" Adrenaline surged through her veins as the horse charged forward, and her clear voice rang out in a battle cry...

"Gurth a chyth vín!"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"Get out of here! There are too many! Get to Gondor while you still have the chance! I'll hold them off!" Nym looked after Eadwine, charging into battle. She had no intention of following that order. She glanced back at Mosaic, who was attempting to get hold of her horse's reins. She was having trouble doing so.

Nym saw movement behind Mosaic. A Wildman was coming at her. Mosaic was absorbed in her task of trying to catch her horse and didn't realize that death was only a few moments away. Nym quickly put an arrow through him, but in her haste to save her friend, misjudged the elevation. She caught him in the lower arm. While it made for a painful wound, it was by no means a life-threatening one. He now turned away from Mosaic, to look towards small girl who had dared to put an arrow in him. His eyes darkened with rage, and he charged Nym instead. He was on her in a moment. She barely had time to draw her dagger from the sheath before he started hacking down on her with his heavy broadsword. Nym sidestepped his first wild swing, and desperately tried to block the blows reining down on her. But her dagger was not sufficient to effectively block the mighty strokes of the broadsword.

Her dagger caught the sword as it came down on her in what would have been a killing blow. But the impact of sword on dagger jarred Nym's hand and arm. The small weapon fell from her now unfeeling hand. The stroke that would have killed her had been deflected, slashing her arm to the bone, and she cried out in pain. She looked up into her enemy's hate filled eyes, his broadsword raised for a stroke she knew would cleave her in two. Nym realized death was near...and there was nothing she could do to prevent it. She straightened her back and waited for the inevitable.

She would not cower before death.
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email