Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Post Sand, Shadows, and Blood OOC (full, but if you're interested let me know, please read the description!)
on: July 06, 2014 08:34
This thread is not currently looking for new members, but if you are really interested send me a PM and we'll see if you can fit in. Please read this entire post before asking to join!

Hey all! The TR thread Ice Crystal is very nearly ready to come to a close and in celebration we are readying up another adventure! This new thread will be in TR and is set in the region south of Gondor, mainly in the Harad wastes. At the start of the thread the date is TA 2950, a year before Harad is openly declared for the shadow. The chieftain of a northern tribe of the Haradrim betroths his eldest son to the youngest daughter of the king of Rohan, Fengel, and sister of Thengel, prince of Rohan. As a reference for this date, I've included a little timeline with some more familiar dates that might put it into perspective for you.

TA 2885 – Haradrim attack Gondor – two sons of Folcwine are killed; Fengel is left.
TA 2903 - King Folcwine dies, Fengel inherits the crown.
TA 2905 – Thengel, eldest son to King Fengal, is born.
TA 2951 – Sauron openly declares himself, Umbar and Harad declare for the shadow
TA 3018 – Haradrim attack Osgiliath (WotR)

The political betrothal is a last effort to show to the king of Rohan that this particular tribe still supports the north and that they beg forgiveness for the attack 65 years ago that had killed the current king’s two brothers. In TA 2885, Sauron was the driving force that pushed the Haradrim to attack the north. Since then he has been a corrupting influence on Harad and Umbar until the point where he openly declares himself, drawing the official support of Harad and Umbar in TA 2951. This thread starts on the day of the marriage, and soon uncovers the corruption that has been spreading through Harad and is now impossible to ignore. Sparked to action, a band of Haradrim and maybe Rohirram form a resistance to fight the corruption before their homes are destroyed by the shadow.

Being set primarily in Harad (I predict we will rarely, if ever, venture farther north) There are a few restrictions on characters who can join.

Most importantly, your PC MUST be a human, preferably of Haradrim descent. There is room for Rohirram, but the majority of players will be either Haradrim or draw their lineage from the corsairs if you can find a plausible reason why they would be there and willing to help. This means there are no Elves, Dwarves, Maiar, or other races belonging to Tolkien.

Characters with alternative motives are allowed, but remember that a thread will run a long distance so unless you want to be RPing on your own, or your character to die, do not play your hand too early. I plan on this thread having a bit of intrigue as well as to-the-point conflict, so feel free to keep some secrets of your own for what you’re planning, as long as it will not derail the thread main plot or severely incapacitate/kill another PC without first discussing it with the owner of said PC.

We already have most if not all of the people involved with The Ice Crystal signed up for this thread, with a couple more openings if anyone is interested. We are looking for mature, competent writers who are able to contribute a fair amount of detail and progression with their posts. If you need some example of what your normal posts should look like take a look at the last couple pages of Ice Crystal as a general guideline. If you do not think you can dedicate enough time to your posts to add significant content, this thread is not for you.

Any previously named characters in the OOC as well as the chieftain, his son, and the kings daughter are not available to play or have already been claimed, unless discussed here beforehand.

Feel free to share a little about your character here, don't feel compelled to share a full bio for them as it can be more fun to discover motives and alliances in the thread rather than beforehand in OOC. Basic information is all that is required!

[Edited on 10/04/2014 by Naucoaran]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
And I get to post the first reply! I feel special!

I am playing two main characters: Theodhild, youngest daughter of Fengel, and Dirbalch, a mercenary of Haradric descent. I will also have a variety of minor characters including some handmaidens, her sister, other family members, and others as needed to fit into the story (though these will be few and far between).

I am still working on the characterization of Theodhild and particularly looking to see if I can find some good historical counterparts for ideas. But thus far she will be a bookish girl with a mind for politics and diplomacy. She is obedient and meek as she needs to be with no bone for rebellion. Theodhild knows what is expected of her and seeks to do her duty (though she may not always like it). Other things will become more apparent as the thread goes on - Theodhild (meaning "battle of the people" from Old English) is my newest character so it will take some time to get her up and running.

Dirbalch's background is mostly accurate in the database listing. I need to shift the timeline back since it states he is active in the War of the Ring. I still maintain that he is the son of a Gondorian tradesman and a woman of Haradric descent. More or less he will be a darker character. I will leave the rest unsaid...for now.

[Edited on 07/07/2014 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
I will be playing the chieftain Haidar, and his two sons Arwan and Darrius. Arwan is the eldest, and thus the one betrothed to the kings daughter.

Both sons are skilled in battle being nomadic tribesmen who often have to fight for the land that held water from other tribes. Arwan wears the older brother mantle proudly and does his best to protect the younger Darrius, who often finds himself standing in the shadow of his brother who is constantly in the spotlight.

That's the gist for my guys for right now, though they shall grow in character as we get along.
Ella
Council Member
Send Message
First of all, thank you all for the opportunity to write with you.

I will be playing Khalida, a Haradrim descent woman, who works as a horse breeder. I will also play her family members (Tarik and Halima; Khalida’s father and mother) tough they won’t affect the plot course.

Tarik horses are the best in Haider’s tribe thus he usually sells them to who is willing to pay. His father was a retired soldier who attacked Gondor and had some information about the enemy. Before he died, he used to tell his son and his granddaughter war stories. Halima is a tailor who makes the finest clothes to the tribe as well. However, since Tarik always wanted a son and not a daughter, Khalida works with the horses therefore she’s a great rider. Despite no one ever taught her, she practiced turning rather good in fighting while riding. Hearing the stories of her grandfather when she was a child made her have some ability of war strategy concerning to Sauron’s forces, though she’s not very good dealing with important people.
I have to give it a think about other details. For now I think this will be enough to introduce the character.

[Edited on 07/11/2014 by Ella]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Welcome, Ella!

So the first two posts have gone up. These give a good background, especially to the Haradrim. Take a look!
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
oh, I suppose I should post in here. I'll get everything up soon, but dibs on a harad healer and perhaps some fancy-pants horse lord. We'll see how things develop
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
This is a well- thought out and judging by the first posts, well written RP!
I may consider writing in it if there is room for a Haradrim commander who is influenced by agents of Sauron. I'll get back on how he is connected to all this.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings Arveleg! That sounds like an interesting character, and I think it would be able to work well with what we have planned. Would he/she be working covertly among our group of characters? It's fine if that's the case, just don't do anything too obvious or he may have to be ousted We'll have a pretty good place for a character like that to come in very soon (within the next few posts, if that) if that's the case, let us know! Look forward to hearing more about it!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, they will be a somewhat minorish background character working for the 'dark-side' amongst the court. I'll give it all a good read over and should have something in order to post this weekend.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Alright, if you'd like some more information, the group of corrupted Haradrim in our tribe were influenced by servants of the shadow during the long caravan trip I had mentioned in my first post, visiting the Water Dogs. Since they've returned the few corrupted Haradrim have been secretly making allies in our tribe. Depending on if you're interested in writing it, I'm planning for them to make an attack pretty soon that has to happen before we can progress much farther.

ALSO

If you guys aren't caught up yet on the thread, now would be a perfect time to introduce your character to the thread, as pretty much everyone would be invited to the celebration!

[Edited on 07/25/2014 by Naucoaran]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
This will be quite an epic tale and I look forward to its unfolding! Unfortunately I will not be able to participate due to time constraints. It would be both inconsiderate and unfair to you fine writers to commit to this RP and not be able to contribute in a timely manner. I do look forward to reading along as you all contribute though. My apologies.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Aww that's sad to hear, hope everything goes well for you in your other endeavors!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, company!

I have been most gratiously accepted in your midst, for which I am both grateful and excited

I'll be bringing two characters in the story, siblings: a brother Halik, and his elder sister Nadaira. Both of them are from an ancient and noble line that has always competed with Haidar's line. Always disareeing with Hadair's decisions and ways, the siblings believe this match is a mistake.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Welcome, Nif! It's wonderful to RP with you again!!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you Dinen I am looking forward to RPing with you again as well!
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry there has been a lull in this thread, I've been busy moving in to a new apartment. I'm all settled in now for the most part and ready to get it going. Hope I haven't lost anyone's interest so far, cheers!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Hello fair writers of Sand, Shadows, and Blood! I have to say it's been great to read the tale as you all unfold it! Quite intriguing! I find myself reading it and thinking of how the character I almost joined this with would be reacting. Unfortunately I would have never been able to do justice to the fine writers such as yourselves (Naucoaran, Nifredil, Dinenlasse, Carandra). Thanks for sharing this, and Happy Writing everyone!
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, happy writing to yourself as well!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Thank you for the kind words, Arveleg!! Hopefully we will get a chance to write with such a talented threader of words such as you in the future!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Oh thank you! You know what I think? If there's some free time on your hands, you might even join us for an interlude, m?

I have no idea what your intended character would have done in the situation, but it would be interesting to know, however.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Just to let everyone know, I am working on another Dirbalch post. I promise it is worth the wait.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for your latest installment in this tale! I read the whole tale again!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Thank you for your kind words, Arveleg! Rest assured there is more coming!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Dinenlasse said:Thank you for your kind words, Arveleg! Rest assured there is more coming!

I look forward to it Lady Dinenlasse!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email