Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Sounding good!

Eldarion I was thinking that Quintin, for the first time, have to explain his dreams. I give you permission to play Quintin in your post or we can do a joint post.

If I was an orc commander and saw the battle plans of Davian this is what I would do . I would concentrate my trolls on the men because they are harder to kill with swords, axs, etc. Since the bowmen are on the hills I think it would be harder to kill a troll from that distance. I would have parties of orcs come up from behind the archers each party with two or three orc archers hidden in the back. Once the parties were close enough I would have the tow orc archers focused on one Dunedain archer.

I haven't read much on orc warfare or battle tactics so please show me weakness in that plan. Thanks .

[Edited on 10/25/2014 by Cenor]
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I can't say there is much written on Orc tactics other than a they are given crude instruction on their objectives, and they go full on ahead to achieve them. Killing of Theodred for instance, or the attack on Minas Tirith. Very little is given on them.

That could be a good plan Cenor. The only trouble i see would be the rearguard watch of the Dunedain. If the orcs could take them out quietly, then they would be able to get into position.

The trouble with trolls would be the daylight. Since it's late in the year and the days are short and the nights longer, and the sun would likely be obscured by clouds, they may still be able to move about. Trolls is they aren't very mobile in the best conditions, so would hinder a swift-moving army that wanted to surprise the defenders.

I just read what was written in Appendix A about the attack on Fornost, and it appears the army of Angmar moved straight around toward Fornost, with the King and his men holding out in the North Downs before retreating north (and west). Tolkien's own words were brief, but painted a grim picture. Except for the King and his Guards, the rest of the Dunedain who managed to get out of Fornost were driven west over the River Lhun, where I suppose the Elves would have been ready to defend. that is a lot of ground to cover by a fleeing surviving remnant of an army with the sons of the King, and other non-combatant refugees in winter.

In our tale, we have the sickness also, so I tend to look for a dark angle in writing this RP.

In summary, and how I see it at this point... The 2nd is setting up defence on the western end of the North Downs, and sent word to Fornost and back to the 1st, who is working on retreating back from the eastern end of the North Downs. Sickness is breaking out in Fornost but hasn't affected the soldiers of the 1st or 2nd too much yet. Good characters, and good writing everyone!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
We could always have a storm. I think I would use the trolls to maneuver the company into the ambush and use my orcs for the dirty work leaving the trolls to clean up afterwards.

So will the companies be forced into Fornost? I'm thinking of a Fornost character now I will have his sheet up later.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor said:We could always have a storm. I think I would use the trolls to maneuver the company into the ambush and use my orcs for the dirty work leaving the trolls to clean up afterwards.

So will the companies be forced into Fornost? I'm thinking of a Fornost character now I will have his sheet up later.

Well, it is autumn/winter, and it's been raining already, so a storm would not be out of the question. It's likely the two companies will fall back to Fornost, either in a somewhat orderly or maybe disorderly fashion with the enemy on their heels? Will be interesting!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
A storm could be in order here. A great wave of dark, broiling clouds to cover the advance of orcs isn't unheard of and it would certainly add to the gloom and doom! Trolls would pretty much force most infantry to retreat if there are enough of them, leading the 1st into the ambush.

As I understand it though, we have the 1st pinned in the far northeast of the North Downs with the 2nd coming up through the Downs from the southwest and orcs in between. A great force ought to attack the 1st head on while, as Arveleg pointed out, smaller forces begin to strike head on against Fornost from the east and a small contingent to flank from the west. I think Davian will have sense enough to be hasty in his retreat and end up meeting the ambush by the flanking orcs. But, the 2nd will be there to pin this force between themselves and the 1st before both regroup, return to Fornost for terrible plague and an inevitable defeat (this can be sloppy or otherwise, depending on how we decided to RP it) and then make the final retreat across the Lhun.

Sound okay to everyone thus far? This is just the intro. (;

Edit: I had a post written up for this evening, but I was entirely unsatisfied so I scrapped it. Unfortunately, it is quite late and I don't have time at the moment to rework it.

Events look to be pretty well scripted out from here up to the fall of Fornost and I know Arveleg has tons of material, so feel free to post without me and I'll try to catch up tomorrow evening. Cenor, feel free to use Davian and Eradan for that last interaction concerning Quintin's dream.

And thanks for some fantastic writing thus far, everyone. (:

[Edited on 10/29/2014 by Eldarion]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
And quite the intro it is!
Sounds good Eldarion. At this point I don't think there are too many orcs in the North Downs between the companies, but enough to make things chancy? Maybe the 1st starts off in a semi-ordly withdrawal that may become more of a full on retreat? I can do a bit of a bridging post here to facilitate the beginnings.

And I hate it when posts written are not up to muster. I have a heaping bin of scrapped posts on my computer. I'm a bit of a hoarder I guess. I keep them around because I sometimes find some of the discarded ideas ia one point or in one story will fit nicely in another.

Look forward to your post when you get it done El!

[Edited on 10/29/2014 by Arveleg]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay Eldarion I will work up a post and let you look it over!

[Edited on 10/30/2014 by Cenor]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Here is my new Fornost character:

Mathias the Cripple (Cenor)
Race: Dunedain
Height: 5" 7"
Family: Their present location is unknown to him. He knows that they live somewhere around Evendim Lake. Father: Joctham, Mother: Beatrice, Sister: Lydia
Animals: Though he does not own one he is fond of any and all animals.
Weapons: Living in the streets has taught him to use anything as a weapon.

Personality: Happy, all the time, if he is not hurting. Generally optimistic even in the hardest of times. Willing to help if needed.

Appearance: Dirty blonde hair and deep blue eyes. His clothes are an indistinguishable color being covered with mud and patches. He has no shoes and wears a dirty ragged cloak. His left leg is twisted and mangled and his right leg is crooked. He walks with two sticks that reach down to the ground with curves for his arms at the top. He often has a silly grin on his face when he is not hurting.

History:
When he was 14 he was involved in a terrible accident with the plow horses. Both legs were badly damaged so that he could not walk. His father dumped him on the streets of Fornost one day, being ashamed of his crippled son. Ever since Mathias has lived off the streets learning the alleys and secret exits of Fornost. Some days he can be in immense pain from his legs especially cold ones.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Hmmm, I should get back to Freeda again sometime. Not sure when I will be able to write up a good post, but will try to make it soon.

Cenor, Mathias is so endearing! Well done!
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Took forever to get that post to load! Glad I didn't double up!
The battle is on, and with the pressure on the 1st and the 2nd, the North Downs is beginning to get overrun.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Darkness is coming. Will Men be able to stand up against it or will they fall like wheat before a scythe?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
So Eldarion, what's up? Been a couple weeks.
I guess it's the nature of the business here in the 'gaming' forum.
I'll post again on the 29th for my characters if nothing has moved.
Cenor, I'll try and get a bit to you for the Fornost part before then, but I'm not having the muse right now. My apologies.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
My apologies for any delay on my part. I've been flat out at work the last week or so, and I'm just too knackered when I get home that I haven't been getting online much. I'll try and get things in order this weekend.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg, that is perfectly understandable. I have been rather preoccupied with the Thanksgiving holiday time, so have not been able to work on a post yet. Feel free to post whenever you are ready, and I will work off of you.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay since there has been no news of Eldarion I am going to propose a plan.

Davian can go missing in the retreat to Fornost, this allows Eldarion to rework him into the story if he comes back.

Eradan can be wounded in the retreat thus putting him out of the story for a time.

I am currently writing a post for Quintin explaining how this happens. If anyone has a problem with this we can discuss it further.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds perfect Cenor!

I sort of half-wrote something along that line that had Malassuil and Marcadil (and I assume Richard as well? Lady Song can advise) and what was left of the 2nd holding out while most of the 1st and refugees managed to get out and head to Fornost. Last word was a rear-guard led by Davian tried to hold off the enemy but the 2nd couldn't hold any longer and had to retreat toward Fornost.

Work has been crazy busy this month, and it doesn't look like it will get any less so until after Christmas. Still, I hope to get some writing on this done this coming weekend.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds good! Yes, Richard is with Malassuil and Marcadil still.

Would it be helpful for me to write something for Fornost?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I thought as much, but didn't want to write it in with all the COE rules and such.
it would be good to get Meriel's post in soon I think
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Let me try for later today. If it will hinder you, just go ahead and post and I will catch up.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
No worries and no hurries. Just thought you might want to get a post in for her since it's been awhile.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
It's been a month since a post was made to the story, so I took the liberty of posting again.
Cenor, can you do anything with that co=post, or do you want me to finish and post it?
Hope this keeps going, but if not, its been a good opening series. Hoping everyone adds something for their characters, but I understand not feeling a commitment to a story thread that the threadmaster seems to have abandoned. Happy Writing Everyone.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I am working on Quintin's and Barad's POV in the retreat then I will post. I think this RP can survive.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I think we can make this work. I may not really be able to jump back in until after the holidays, but I would like this to survive.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I think it will make it too, kinda like some of the soldiers of the 1st & 2nd. I was being cranky last night.

Unless this starts moving really fast this month, I'll be good until sometime in January now.

Cenor, if you need more for Dauwna on the co-post, let me know.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I finally got a post in. It isn't much, but perhaps someone can work off of it.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I can thank you!
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor and I are working on a joint post.

Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Coolski! I may post again after that.
FWIW, I sent Eldarion a PM to see if he is around.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Hi all, I was wondering if I'm still able to join this RPG, as I've been pointed in this direction via Cenor and Song

If it's alright, I've knocked together a basic Character bio for you to mull over and see what you all think.

Thanks,

Ildë

Ps. Please forgive me if I'm lacking in places. I'm new to RPGs!
-------------------------------

Itarildë, daughter of Elrohir
Race: Half-Elven.
Height/Body: Almost 6"7
Age: Fairly young, around 200, born in the year T.A. 1774.
Family: Her father is Elrohir, and therefore she is the grandaughter of Elrond and Celebrían.
Weapons: Itarildë, like many Elves, favours the long-bow and dagger approach to weapons, but also relies on her vast knowledge and instinct in battle-settings.
Personality: Itarildë, on first impressions, seems distracted and silent, almost distant, as if her mind has wandered afar. This is in fact a habit Itarildë picked up while living in Imladris, and being a member of Elrond's family. She revels in knowledge, and holds a high regard for those who, like herself, seek it out for themselves.
Appearance:Her hair, like her father's is long and dark, and she favours a complicated braid pattern with inlaid beads of silver, over more simpler styles. Her eyes are a strange mixed shade of brown and grey, that seem to change depending on the light. Her expression always seems to be bored or indifferent, until she is spoken to.
History: Itarildë has lived a quiet life in Imladris, observing many councils and meetings in her time. She has found herself torn between both races of Men and Elves, due to her deep interest in the goings-on of Men. Despite her time with her father and grandfather, Itarildë wanted to prove herself worthy of the House of Elrond, making a name for herself to please her father, who was frequently away in the Northern Kingdoms throughout her childhood. Although she was well-loved and looked after, Itarildë felt she needed some time to gain some independence and self-reliance. With this in mind, Itarildë spent some time travelling around parts of Middle-Earth, though always eventually returning to Rivendell.
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I would be glad to have you join us, Itarilde! Your character seems very well thought out, more so than when I first started roleplaying. With only three of us actively writing, I feel it would be a boon to have you along.

And what do you know? Elves are just arriving from Rivendell, so that could be a perfect entry for your character if you wish it.

Again, welcome!!!
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, I'm wondering when would be a good time to come in. I'll have another read of everything so far, and brush up on the time period and then jump on in if you're all okay with that
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen ItarildeSirfalas!
Our thread-master Eldarion has gone MIA, but that isn't stopping us. I've been a bit slow writing in this of late, but with such fine writers as Lady Cenor and Lady Song, this tale is, and will be one of the memorable ones! Please join!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Sirf!

As you may have read the Elves are entering Fornost so feel free to jump in when your ready.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I'll have a quick read through tonight and try to get an entry done asap. And Cenor, please call me Ildë I tend to not notice if someone addresses me otherwise

EDIT: I hope you enjoy my first post. It's not amazing, nor does it push the plot along, but as we go along I'll hopefully improve

[Edited on 01/28/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome to the Dark Days of Arnor Ildë! Your entry post was a great introduction of your character and a great opening of page 2! (at least for my settings, your post starts page 2) I like your writing style! I look forward to reading your contributions to this tale!

[Edited on 01/28/2015 by Arveleg]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email