Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post LotR Movie Marathon
on: October 18, 2014 11:44
Good afternoon to all!

A few of us, in the thread "Should We Be Thankful for The Movies?", have come up with a plan to further our appreciation for Tolkien film and have interesting discussions about said films: over a set weekend, we will watch The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King, all Extended Editions, as a website, even though few or none of us will actually be together. Try to watch these movies with new eyes. After watching one film, we will report back to the CoE and discuss them.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
E~S, you haven't seen Return of the King?

We should set up a universal CoE viewing day...on a set weekend or something, everyone should watch the films with new eyes, and then we can report back here and discuss.

[Edited on 10/16/2014 by findemaxam48]
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:... We should set up a universal CoE viewing day...on a set weekend or something, everyone should watch the films with new eyes, and then we can report back here and discuss.
[Edited on 10/16/2014 by findemaxam48]

Maxie, do you mean the EEs????? I've done that once; nominally 672 minutes = 11 hours 12 minutes, with all necessary pauses more than 12 hours. Yes, it's grandiose, but afterwards I felt like a wet towel hanging on the clothesline! Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I saw all the LotR EE's at the cinema a week before Hobbit 1 was released. We were there for over 12 hours. People brought food, blankets and pillows. It was wonderful.

I have had several LotR marathons at home. We would start around 9am and watch till almost midnight due to pauses, cleaning litter boxes and the necessary making of food. That as well, was wonderful. Makes me want to do it again. I will watch H 1 and 2 before the last one comes out. Two months to go!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Great idea Maxie! It could be an annual event. I'd suggest a weekend rather than a day though. Shall we leave it until after last Hobbit film? Do you think it should be during the school break? I know different countries have their break at different times. The Christmas one would likely be pretty busy for people so not that one.

What title should we give the thread? Once that is decided you can start it Maxie and I'll move these few posts over, and we can carry on the discussion there. How about "LOTR Marathon Viewing" or something?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I do have the EE versions and I think it would be wonderful! I will finally get to watch RoTK. I can't honestly say why I haven't watched it: it's just one of those weird things that happens in life.

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, the EEs! And not all in one sitting if you can't do it, just from a Friday night until a Sunday night, or something of the like. LotR Movie Marathon sounds just right! And next year, we can throw in TH as well, as the third one will be out on EE as well, if the timing is anything like that of the first two.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Count me in! It would be difficult, I think, for most of us to watch all three LotR movies in one sitting. Over the course of a weekend sounds like a good idea. And how will we do this? Will we comment as we are watching the films?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The weekend is most definitely best. What if we comment after we watch one film, before we go onto the next? That way we can have a somewhat clear head as we move forward.

[Edited on 10/18/2014 by tarcolan]
tarcolan
Send Message
How would that work Maxie? We'd all have to start watching at the same time. Don't forget different time zones.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Would time zones be that much of an issue? We could just pick a common weekend and post when we are finished each film. The members posting later could then, not only comment on the films as they finish them, but also respond to the earlier posters' comments.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
I'm in, if at all possible!!! So...do we have any idea what weekend?
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I would love to do this as well! The last three times of doing a LoTR marathon I was not able to watch the entire RoTK. Quite a shame, as that is my favorite!

Sometime in December might work for me.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 10/18/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I was thinking that it might be difficult, for everyone who wants to participate, to do this in one weekend. What if we watch one movie over a designated weekend, talk about it during the week and then go on to the next movie? This would then take 3 weekends instead of one.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
This sounds like fun! It's been a long time since I've watched the EE's. Occasionally I'll catch parts of one of the regular movies on TV but I've not watched any of them all the way through.

Maybe a news item can be posted on CoE's front page to garner more interest.
tarcolan
Send Message
As some people won't be able to do the marathon in one weekend I think it would be best if we have three discussions over three weeks for each of the films. As some people will be busy over the December holiday period it would have to start on Friday 5th for FOTR, then the 12th and 19th. How's that?

General gossip about the marathon experience can be kept in this thread and I'll start a new thread for discussion of each of the movies.

I've asked PH if we can put up a news item to let people know about it.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Those dates work fine with me. I am looking forward to participating.

Some people might not have the extended editions but I do not think that will be a problem. Also, those who do not even have the movies might be able to get them at the library.

And this is not going to be a *compare the movies to the books* thread, is it? I would hope the books will be kept out of it.

NenyaGold, that was a great idea to have a news item put on the front page.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with you, Lidarielwen. I would like to focus on the movies themselves. If someone wants to compare the movies and books, they can make a new thread for that.

So are we talking November, December or January?

In addition to having a notice about this on the home page, perhaps we could make a banner to go in our signatures with a link to this.

If this marathon goes well, maybe it could become an annual event!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Song, the marathon will be in December.

Wouldn't an annual event be fun? The Hobbit movies, I think, will be our next marathon.
NenyaGold
Send Message
Lindarielwen, I agree that it shouldn't be a move vs book discussion. This is a movie marathon.

In planning for the event, do we want to watch each movie and have a sort of free-for-all discussion afterward, or, like PB does in the Book Club, do we want to pose questions for discussuon after each viewing? Since we probably all know the movies well enough, we could even pose some questions before, so we have specific things to pay attention to while watching.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
NenyaGold, I was wondering about specific questions about the movies. I also wondered if we will all be watching the same version. Maxie said the extendeds but I do not think everyone has them.

I think questions are a good idea but I would also like to see us have an open discussion as well.

Maxie came up with this great idea so we have to see what she would like to do. Who would come up with the questions?
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Why don't we all submit certain questions to a named "question keeper"? They could go through them and decide what the most common/pertinent questions would be for discussion, then put those up in the thread.
tarcolan
Send Message
If someone doesn't make a sig banner soon I'm going to do it, and it will be terrible 'cos I can't do graphic stuff. It should have the title and link to this thread.

Nobody has mentioned that the 12th is the release date fro BOFA in the UK. It won't be a problem will it?

Good idea Nenya, nothing focuses the mind better than... umm... something to focus on. We've got a few weeks to get this going so let's start thinking up subjects for each film. It doesn't have to be a specific question. Do you like this idea Maxie? And do you want to pick the subjects/questions? Oooooh, isn't this exciting!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, goodness. I'm gone for one day, and this is what happens!?

Yes, I think that keeping the books out would be best. This is about the movies and how we appreciate them. December is very good, while those of us who celebrate Christmas prepare for the holiday, we can watch a film.

I have no problems with setting up the questions, unless somebody else wanted to in the first place. You all can submit them via PM anytime. How many per film?
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Tarcolan, I don't think that will be a problem. Anyone who can't watch it that day can view it sometime over the next week. Another reason why stretching the marathon out was a good idea.

Maxie, that is because we are so excited! You were brilliant to suggest this! I really am surprised we have never done this before.

As for the amount of questions, it really depends on how long it takes us to cover each one.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
This is the first time something of this nature has been tried so we can *tweak* it as we go, maybe.

What if we are having a lively discussion and are not finished when the next weekend rolls around?
NenyaGold
Send Message
Twerking Tweaking is always a good thing!

How about a thread for each movie? Then they'll be available for further discussion and later watchers.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
The thread for each movie idea sounds best to me. In all likelihood, not everyone is going to be able to watch the movies on each set weekend (life happens sometimes...:/), so it would be nice if we still had a FotR discussion going, say, even after the majority had watched TTT. Not to mention that if a really interesting discussion comes up about one of the movies which lasts more than a week, it could be pretty hectic trying to discuss the next movie at the same time, in the same thread.

I can't wait to get started! This is going to be way too much fun! Image
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
tarcolan
Send Message
Yup, already decided Nenya.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
NenyaGold, I was thinking of the same thing! One letter can make such a difference in a word.

It is a very good idea to have a thread for each movie. We will each probably have more to add as we move on to the next film.

How will the questions be presented? All at once so we can keep them in mind as we watch?

It seems it is not as simple as, "Hey, let's watch the movies together."

How about if we dress up while we watch ? (I know I will)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I can create each of the threads a week before the viewing and post all of the questions in my "Create Thread" first post.

That being said, I need more questions! I got some from tarc. You can PM me or put them right in here.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Is there anyone participating who will be watching the movies for the first time?

Will there be a list of who is going to watch the movies?
tarcolan
Send Message
Good idea Lin, to keep a list of people, then PM them to remind them to watch each film.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Lin? Lin?

I would like to know how many of us participating have seen both editions, theatrical and extended. Both for me.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email