Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lenielestel
Council Member
Send Message
Post "calm down"
on: February 27, 2015 10:44
Hello! I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a way to translate "calm down" or something similar? My modem is down, (typing this on my phone, yech!) so haven't been able to do as much research for myself as usual.

I found the verb partha- in Gateway to Sindarin. It is listed as meaning "arrange, compose" so I wonder if it could be used to say "compose yourself" as we do in English, or does the word imply writing too strongly to be used this way?

If it is feasible, or if another word could be suggested, how would I conjugate it? Could I say "partho ech" or is there a better way?

Thank you, brilliant minds!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
There's a reconstruction you could use:

No pell = Be calm
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Other conceivable ways to convey the same would contain e.g. dartho ( "remain!" ) & *sídh-iel (-ron/-ren) "peaceful, tranquil".

[Edited on 02/28/2015 by Elhath]
Lenielestel
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, thank you both for such speedy and helpful responses!

Just a quick clarifying question, Elhath, do you mean use those two words together? Dartho sidh+ending? Meaning remain tranquil? I assume the endings change depending on whom I am speaking to? Sorry to ask so much, I would normally look it up myself, but most of my resources are web based and my phone data plan doesn't support long reading sessions! Believe me, when the modem is fixed, I shall be printing hard copies of many things!
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
-iel, -ron, -ren are suffixes used to make adjectives; my comparative-view based choices to produce a semantically sensible translation of English "peaceful" from Sindarin sîdh "peace". (I suppose not too many websites properly go into Sindarin word formation/derivation, like for instance David Salo's Gateway grammar book does.)

In retrospect however, using *send (the cognate of Q senda) rather than (sidh)-ron seems now recommendable, since it occurred to me that as an extension of Common Eldarin *-rā, -ron (meaning its phonetic ancestor *-rānā) might have to be joined to the word-root SED at the protolanguage stage rather than to the "later-in-time" Sindarin noun sîdh — i.e. it is hard to say for sure whether the Sindarin-stage vowel would be /e/ or /i/.

The assumed target is a singular person. When addressing more than one people the adjective would have to be in plural too (*sídhil / *sind / *sidhrin), whereas the imperative verb (recognizable from the ending -o) would not show any change.

[Edited on 03/02/2015 by Elhath]
Lenielestel
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you very much!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email