Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
Post Help with a name
on: March 09, 2015 01:29
I am developing a half elf for a LARP. I have come up with a given name for him, Perodog (half together strong), but want him to give himself a name effectively meaning "bowman" but still sounding good, am I missing something (none of what I have looked at would sound like a good name) or is this just not possible? Also looking for opinions on the given name.
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Perodog looks more like 'Half seven' to me (odog = seven), though I see what you've done, there's just an extra 'o' in there

Perdog/Perthog = Half strong/firm
Pervelt = Half strong (in body)

There's two words, for bow, and peng.

Cúdir/Cúnir = Bow man (dîr = man)
Pengnir/Pengdir = Bow man
You could also have
Cúben = Bow person
Pengben = Bow person
Cúron/Cúon = Bow (male suffix)
Pengron/Pengon = Bow (male suffix)
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Some replies seem to have been deleted for some reason? I was going to reply to tiger667's latest post, but it's vanished along with another two.
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
My last post was basically saying that the translated word order is important to me, I don't want it sounding like an insult (anything implying only half as strong as 'normal'), which is why the together was in the middle there, 'half, together strong'.
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
*sigh*. These forums are getting rather irritating with the deleting of posts. I wrote you a very long reply, so I shall try to remember it exactly.

It's important to note what per- means in Sindarin, which is 'divided in half'. It doesn't have any other connotations, like the negative one you're attaching from English Peredhel, Peredhil and Elrond Halfelven are names, and racial designation, nothing more. They in no way slur the family that bear this epesse.
I think I then went on to say that it's also worth looking at how the Halfelven are named: Elrond, Elladan, Elrohir, Arwen. None of these can be determined as Halfelven by their names alone, the only salient point is that Elrohir is a Third Age, later name. So you don't have to feel bound to use Per- at all.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email