Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tauriel Fan Club
on: March 18, 2015 12:03
Herein you are invited to discuss what you like about Tauriel and Evangeline Lilly!

When and why did you start liking Tauriel? What do you like best about her and her story?

Feel free to discuss Silvan culture, history, and the other people important to her, like Thranduil, Legolas, and Kili, as long as you relate it to her.

Speculate on her past, and what her future will be like.

Please say "Spoiler" if you want to mention something that happened in the extended editions as many people have not had the chance to view them yet.

Welcome, and have fun!
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
The unresolved ending to Tauriel's (and to some extent, the other's) story was hard on me. I have been thinking hard on what may come next for her. From the change between her and Thranduil, at the very least, I believe he would welcome her return home. But I couldn't see her simply going back to being captain of the guard. I thought maybe Thranduil would recognize that he needs her conscience, make her his advisor, and mentor her about leadership. Then I started thinking that at the beginning of the Fourth Age, how remarkable it was that Greenwood was ascendant (and why was that?) while the rest of the Elves felt their time was over. Legolas leaving his father and people to go into the West also seems more sad now that I've seen them, though of course Thranduil could always join him someday. But if he did, who would be his heir?

Tauriel! Though a "lowly Silvan", he views her as a daughter, according to the visual companion, though sadly, I bet he never told her that before. With their new bond, I can see them becoming an amazing though unlikely team. After a few thousand years of training, she might be ready to lead!

"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message

Legolas leaving his father and people to go into the West also seems more sad now that I've seen them, though of course Thranduil could always join him someday. But if he did, who would be his heir?

I really like your idea of Tauriel becoming the queen of Mirkwood. I was also pretty troubled by Tauriel's last scene, and unresolved ending. It has been haunting me ever since I saw Battle of Five in December (although I am holding out hope for at least 15 minutes of extended Tauriel footage). I hope that Thranduil does go the Valinor to be with Legolas someday, and Tauriel is the best candidate to rule when he leaves. I think she will be a more welcoming ruler to other cultures/peoples. I imagine her starting a joint elf/dwarf university with Erebor.

Have other fans seen Tauriel in the Fellowship Of The Ring in the scene when Legolas rides up to Rivendell? There is a red haired elf with him!! If you do a frame-by-frame analysis of this scene and tell me that the red haired elf is actually male !, I apologize in advance, for I am as bad at telling male and female elves apart as Kili

May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
That was my first thought when I rewatched that after seeing Hobbit! I really can't tell if the Elf is female. Of course I'm sure the moviemakers hadn't thought of Tauriel when they filmed that scene, but that's not the point. I mentioned the redhead to a friend (who is named after a LOTR character) and she knew who I meant right away.

I read your idea that Tauriel could travel Middle Earth. I also thought of that, and she could certainly travel and do the things I thought of with her long life. There are many hints that she would like to see the world, and she might spend a few centuries being a wandering defender of the weak. Its funny, because I thought that if she survived Battles that she would leave, and then Legolas stole her exit!
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tauriel Fan Club
on: March 27, 2015 09:05
Elfeawen Lomiondil said:

When and why did you start liking Tauriel?

I actually got interested in Tauriel as soon as I heard there was going to be a red haired female elf with an important role in the Hobbit. After the Desolation of Smaug I was pretty much won over, but it took me a few weeks to realize that I thought she was hugely amazing! I've discussed elsewhere many of the reasons I like her, and it is hard for me to pinpoint the exact moment in the movie where I decided I liked her. Probably the first moment she came charging up with her bow killing spiders right and left!
I'm glad no one has refuted my "The red haired elf in Fellowship is Tauriel" theory yet!
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Tauriel & Tolkien Series

For my own enjoyment, I am going to write a mini-series about how Tauriel relates to Tolkien’s world. I am absolutely not trying to “justify” or “prove” anything about her. Those who like her need no justification, and no proof will suffice for those who don’t. I hope you find the results of my research interesting. It is my hope that someone will have something to add.

Part 1: Females in Action
Tauriel is a skilled warrior and Captain of the Guard. Like some other fans I’ve heard from, at first I accepted the conventional wisdom that she was very much a 21st Century character, but I didn’t mind that. After reading beyond the novels, I began to question this “conventional wisdom.” Tolkien gave his female characters a range of skills and personalty strengths and weaknesses. To mention a few examples, we have wise Melian, compassionate Finduilas, and strong willed Nerdanel. Among humans, the resolve of Morwen and boldness of Nienor come to mind. I do not wish to make any value judgements about what makes a “strong female” or what kinds of roles I think females “should” have. But I would like to point out that some of Tolkien’s female characters do have action roles, and females do play militaristic roles in some Middle Earth cultures. (All information comes from the 1977 Silmarillion unless otherwise noted.)

Elves:
Aredhel and her cousin Galadriel were both known as talented athletes in the Valinor. Aredhel was comfortable in the wilds, and preferred active outdoor pursuits. She enjoyed roaming the woods and hunting with the sons of Feanor. Galadriel was known as one of the tallest and strongest of the Noldor women, and one of the most physically talented of the Noldor. She fought “fiercely” and “heroically” in defense of the innocent Teleri at the Kinslaying.(Unfinished Tales)
Idril, the princess of Gondolin, donned mail and took up a sword to fight for her people’s survival during the attack on her city. (Lost Tales)
I do not know that Luthien was ever trained in the martial arts. But she encountered as many dangers as any action hero, and won her battles with her courage, wits, and considerable powers inherited from her Maiar mother. So she merits mention here.
Humans:
Emeldir, the mother of Beren, wanted to stay in the land her people had won and defend it along side her husband and son. That her people might have hope for the future, she consented to lead them forth. She armed the women and children, and they fought their way to freedom, such as they could find in those dark days.
Haleth, of the Haladin, was a young woman when her folk were besieged by orcs. She was “valiant” in their defense, and when her father and brother fell, it was her strong will that kept her people fighting for seven more days in the face of despair, until help came. Her folk made her their chieftain and followed her to the end of her days. Her bodyguards were female warriors. I believe that after her time, there were always women among their warriors, but I can not find that source.
The women of the nomadic Wainriders were trained in weaponry, as the enslaved ancestors of the Rohirrim learned to their sorrow when they tried to launch a rebellion when most of the men were away. (Unfinished Tales)
Eowyn. No explanation needed!

flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Tauriel is an awesome, strong woman. She knows her limits, and can tell right or wrong. (btw, she does have a really awesome elf prince following her around!) I like her attitude, she's not like 'I know everything already, and I'm so cool.' She openly admitted that she was 'a lowly silvan elf.' She also took the time to listen to advice and take the time to make good choices.

Now, please don't take offence with this, but I hate the romance thing they put in with her. First of all, she only met Kili a couple of weeks ago. she couldn't possibly fall in love him that soon. Second, Kili is a dwarf. an inter-marry with him would never work.

So all in all, there's my thoughts!

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I'm a fan of Evangeline Lily!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you for your coments! Arveleg, I also like Lilly's energy and talent. I never saw her in a movie before.

flyingarrow, I like your thoughtful description of Tauriel. Thank you for being considerate, and I didn't take offence. I hesitate to say anything about romance because I'd rather talk about other things. I also find love at first sight difficult to believe, but my parents say it happened to them. I can almost understand your position because I rarely like romance stories and would have been perfectly happy if there were none in The Hobbit, but I liked this one. Can't explain it, but it touched me deeply. Anyway, what is your favorite Tauriel-Legolas interaction?

I have been researching the relations between Elves and Dwarves. Here is the positive side.

Tauriel & Tolkien Part 2: Elves and Dwarves

The love of Tauriel for Kili is certainly unique, but in Tolkien’s histories there are some examples of Elves and Dwarves being friends and there is also elaboration on the relations between the two species which is much more complex than the “Elves and Dwarves just don’t get along” stereotype.

Not all Elves and Dwarves are uniformly prejudiced against each other, and some of them have overcome their prejudice. The House of Durin, of which Kili is a member, has a better relationship with the Elves than the other Dwarf houses.
In general, Dwarves and Noldor (High Elves) have more mutual respect for each other because they share a love of smith craft and both honor Aule of the Valar who taught them the art. They also shared a hatred of Morgoth, and Azaghal of Belegost joined the alliance called the Union of Maedhros. If not for the steadfastness of the Dwarf army during the Battle of Unumbered Tears, many more Elves would have perished by dragon fire.
Galadriel was among the Noldor who founded Eregion on the edge of Moria in the Second Age. Part of her motivation was to foster a closer relationship with the Dwarves, and it is stated that she felt an affinity for them because they were the Children of Aule. For a time, Eregion was an unprecedented success and Dwarf and Elf craftsmen working together made Eregion and Moria stronger and more beautiful than either could have alone. Celebrimbor (Elf) and Narvi (Dwarf) were two of the best craftsmen and close friends. Together they built the great gates of Moria. Galadriel traveled through Moria many times, and when Sauron laid waste to Eregion, the Dwarves of Moria aided the escape of many Elves through Moria. (Unfinished Tales)
Eol was a misfit, an Elf who rejected his Sindarin society and preferred smithing with Dwarves. He and his son Maeglin were some of the few Elves permitted to enter the Dwarven kingdom.
In the above examples, you can see that appreciation of the smithcraft of the other helped Elves and Dwarves overcome their differences. This is one reason why Gimli’s admiration for Galadriel and friendship with Legolas is so remarkable. As wood elves, Legolas (and Tauriel) do not have a common passion with the Dwarves like the Noldor. Tolkien says that Legolas and Gimli’s friendship was “greater than any that has been between Elf and Dwarf.”(ROTK Appendix A)
(All information from the 1977 Silmarillion unless otherwise stated.)

[Edited on 08/21/2015 by Elfeawen Lomiondil]
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Elfeawen, I really admire the part where Tauriel and Thranduil are fighting, and Legolas steps up and says "If you harm her, you will have to kill me." or something like that. It was an act of pure love and friendship!

Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I like that about that scene, too. If Legolas had not intervened in a calm way when he did, things could have gotten a lot worse. Poor Legolas! It must have been a very bad moment when he saw his father threatening his friend.

At first, I spent I lot of time trying to figure out if Legolas loves Tauriel as a brother, friend, or something else. Eventually I realized that I did not care much because what is important to me is just that he loves her. I admire his selfless love and total loyalty and faithfulness. I wish they had more scenes together. I also like the mentor dynamic and the protective-towards-little sister dynamic.

I like the subtly in the relationships between Tauriel, Legolas, and Thranduil. I totally enjoy analyzing their scenes. I hope to see the DOS EE soon, so I’m trying to keep my mind open in case it has more information on the subject. Right now, though, I’m certain of two things: 1. Legolas had/has a brotherly affection for Tauriel and, “In her eyes Legolas is like a brother.” (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug:The Visual Companion, Jude Fisher, 2013, pg.63) Orlando says about his character, “In many ways, I see Legolas as an older brother to Tauriel.” (The Hobbit:The Desolation of Smaug:Official Movie Guide, Brian Sibley, 2013, 94)

2. They are friends. When she pursues the orcs against Thranduil’s orders and Legolas catches up he says, “You can not hunt thirty orcs on your own,” and she replies, “But I am not on my own.” His face lights up as he says, “You knew I would come.” This implies a deep level of trust and understanding between them. Tauriel honestly expresses her views to Legolas, and Legolas breaks the silence surrounding his mother’s death to tell her of how it has affected him and his father. In DOS, Tauriel once calls him “mellon,” friend, but even though they seem to share a deep bond, they generally are reserved around each other (by my human standards). I like it when Orlando says in the Movie Guide, “They live for such a huge period of time, that I think feelings between Elves are very profound and run deep.” (pg.94-95)

So what does this scene mean? “I assure you, my lord, Legolas thinks of me as nothing more than a Captain of the Guard.”

I have some interpretations, but I’ve been wishing to discuss it with someone else!
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I think maybe she was just then realizing that Legolas actually loved and cared about her, and she was a bit shocked, as well as not really wanting to give her personal feelings away to Thranduil. All in all, I think she was to happy to even admit it to herself that she had a prince following her around, and that he loved her.

So that's my view on that scene.

Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Tauriel seemed floored by Thranduil saying Legolas was “fond” of her. Obviously “fond” means romance, not platonic friendship, to both of them. Tauriel never said anything about her own feelings in that scene. Other people are always telling her how they feel or how she should feel, but she never speaks for her self until the last scene. I think it has long been said that Legolas is rather reserved, and Thranduil is totally reserved to the point where he seems heartless, but it took me longer to see Tauriel as not emotionally expressive because she is so outspoken. I think the suggestion that Legolas’s feelings for her had changed (of course Thranduil could be wrong) was unsettling for Tauriel and difficult to process. I just wonder why she said “Legolas thinks of me as captain of the guard” instead of “just a friend.” Does Thranduil not want them to be friends either? If she was raised at court from a young age surely it would be difficult not to get to know Legolas and friendship between them would be hard to hide. My sisters and I have several theories about this. Here are two.

The Woodland culture has adapted to the encroaching darkness by becoming more militaristic. Ranks like prince or captain have become more importance and are used to define proper relationships. For someone to not associate a person with their hard earned rank would not be appropriate. Rank is mentioned at least twice in this conversation. The emotional austerity of their military culture would also be influenced by the example Thranduil sets.

Tauriel is an orphan. She has no parents to guide her emotional growth or advise her. Thranduil and Legolas, both reserved people, have probably had more influence on her life than just about anyone else. The king treated her almost like a daughter, but since his wife’s death he seems to have put his emotions in the freezer. Even without the difference in rank, he would not have been able to model healthy affectionate relationships for her.

The Woodland Elves may generally be rather unexpressive when it comes to personal feelings, but as a court-raised, warrior-trained, almost-daughter to the king, Tauriel would be very adverse to showing her deepest feelings.
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
Tauriel would be very adverse to showing her deepest feelings

Exactly one of the many reasons why that last scene between Tauriel, Thranduil, and Kili is so profound. For the EE of BOFTA, I really need one more scene of Tauriel doing something. It can even be like 5 seconds of her walking under trees with starlight shining on her face. I can see this so vividly, but maybe then it is best to have it just in my mind??

Elfeawen, I really appreciate the detail and thought in your Tauriel discussions
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
So what is your ideas about Tauriel in BOTFA? I think she is an awesome character, and has some good scenes!

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Since I have decided that PJ has made a three-part fanfic based on JRRT's Hobbit, I have put aside my strictly canon viewpoint. It simply also could not have been nearly as strict as with LoTR, as there were far more blanks or only-hinted-ats for PJ to fill out (though I still can't entirely suppress my grumbling about Azog).
And Tauriel certainly added to PJ's fanfic. I'm still scratching my head about the "love-triangle" with Kili and Legolas; but being a 59-year-old guy, I have come to the conclusion that THIS part of PJ's fanfic was NOT directed at me at all, but an entirely different fan segment.

Over all six movies spanning about 20 hours (the length of the BoFA EE still being unknown), we could have done a lot worse than what this honorary Hobbit Kiwi has given us.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I agree, I think she was more developed in BOFA, and had a much better plot-line.

flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I agree, I think she was more developed in BOFA, and had a much better plot-line.

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Question for all of you Tauriel fans! Why is Tauriel more well liked than Eowyn?

I mean, look...

-Both close with their king
-Both fighters
-Both play a large part in saving ME
-Both go for a scruffy brunette
-Both have a brother or a brotherlike figure
-Both dislike the idea of confinement
-Both travel

See what I mean?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Understandable, and you missed something!

-both strong, dependent, beautiful women who can take care of themselves!

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
True! I wonder why Tauriel seems to get most of the attention.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
She's new! everyone likes new! and her being an elf might have something to do with it!

Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
Well it is true I like Tauriel better than Eowyn, but I also really like Eowyn, and think she is a great character! I am more focused on Tauriel and the Hobbit movies right now, because they were released most recently.
I agree with flyingArrow that being an elf is definitely a plus. It was fun having a female elf as one of the core characters.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
flyingarrow said:So what is your ideas about Tauriel in BOTFA? I think she is an awesome character, and has some good scenes!

Totally great and deeply tragic. I loved both her character interaction scenes and the action scenes. Dare I hope there will be more action scenes for her in EE? Estelanor, I’m glad you are enjoying the discussion!

I also would love to have even a brief new Tauriel scene at the end of the EE. I have a like/dislike relationship with the current last scene. Like, because the performance was stunning. Dislike, because it was so sad! Please do not leave that as our last glimpse of her! After a while, though, I came to the view that, from the filmmaker's perspective, showing anything of Tauriel after that scene might lessen its impact. But that isn’t necessarily so, especially if Tauriel didn’t say anything. I agree, 5 seconds could make a big difference.

Funeral role? In the book, Thranduil has a role at Thorin’s funeral. Maybe she could be there too, looking tragically beautiful but brave and resolute. It would be nice to see one or both of them make a symbolic gesture that will show the audience that there will be friendship between the peoples after this. I wish they would show Legolas saying goodbye to Tauriel. The 1st time I watched it, I was rather upset because I thought he left without saying goodbye to her. But I tracked the story much better the 2nd time, and I realized that Legolas had been with her for a while, and would have had time to say something. Maybe I should try not to have expectations so I will be fine with whatever the EE is like!

I said earlier in this thread what I think Tauriel’s future will be like. Do you have any general or specific ideas about what you think her short term or long term future will be?

findemaxam, I like Eowyn a lot, I just talk about her less because I have had years to talk about her already. And I don't deny that Tauriel being an Elf raises the interest level. For me, she represents the great Elf characters in the Silmarillion that sadly will never be seen in the movies. Your observation was interesting because I don't think they are much alike, except maybe dislike of confinement.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with everything, I really believe that her attention levels are higher because she is a new elf!

Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I think Tauriel could be ambassador to Erebor. From his behavior at the end, I could imagine that Thranduil might even ask her to be his counseler. They could make a good team if they were willing to learn from each other. She is the conscience, he is the experience. I know that's kind of a weird idea, but I could see it working.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
This is the second of three songs I wrote after seeing The Battle of the Five Armies. The first time I listened to “Houses of Healing” after watching BOTFA, I had tears in my eyes because I heard it in a new way. This inspired me to write these verses that can be sung to the same melody. The song is for Tauriel, but there is more than one meaning. Who is the speaker, Tauriel, Legolas, Thranduil, or Kili, and who is the speaker referring to? Interpret it in the way that seems best to you.

Tauriel’s Song: Crown of Leaves

Fate has taken you away
I remember words I never got to say.
I used to think we could change
The world, together.

The year is now turning, from snow to spring
Now I must choose my path.
I wish I could see you, once more.

With new eyes, I look around
At all the wonders I have found.
I feel, that your words have
Changed me, forever.

Life is worth more than gems or gold
And friendship is true treasure.
Promises are pure as starlight.

Crowned with leaves, I will heal
Heart, home, and land, I’ll fight for all that’s real.
Until the day, we’ll renew
The world, together.

The forests will grow green again,
And sunrise follow sunset.
I swear, I will find you someday.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Elfeawen Lomiondil, that was so very beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. You are a very gifted poet.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Eruwestiel, that means a lot to me. My newfound interest in poetry was an unecpected gift from The Hobbit. I mingled my sadness and hope in this song as I empathized with the characters. I thought, well, if there was anyone else out there who might feel the same, it would be worth sharing.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Tauriel & Tolkien Part 3: Young Elves

In the movies, it is implied that Tauriel is younger than the other Elf characters we have seen on screen, and The Desolation of Smaug Visual Guide by Jude Fisher states that she is just under 600 years old and that this is considered young by Elf standards. I have long been interested in Elven childhood and what Elves consider to be young, but it is a difficult question to answer because Tolkien changed his mind on the subject several times. In the book forums there are two very interesting threads on the subject of Elf childhood and growth rate, so I will not try to repeat all that information here, but instead I will list some examples of “young” Elf characters in Tolkien’s works.

Nellas is a “maiden” of Doriath who many people consider to be not fully mature based on her portrayal. She played with Turin when he was a child, but years later when he was an adult, it seems as though she had not changed. Tolkien variously stated that it would take an Elf as much as 3,000 or as little as 50 years to become physically and mentally mature. He later said that they grew up at the same rate as human children, but it seems reasonable that Elves would have an extended period of young adulthood.

In the Unfinished Tales, Voronwë tells Tuor that he was young by Elf standards. Voronwë was born in Middle Earth before Gondolin was built, so his birthdate is sometime before Sun Year 123 of the First Age, and he was roughly 370 years old when he met Tuor.

In DOS, Thranduil states that 100 years is a mere blink in the eyes of an Elf. This view on time gives an insight into how other Elves would feel about someone who was 600 years old, and it seems consistent with a statement Legolas made in The Two Towers book. While discussing the history of the Rohirrim, he mentioned that the red leaves in Mirkwood had fallen 500 times since the founding of Rohan, but it seemed a little time to him and his people. If 500 years is a short time to an Elf, then someone of 600 years must seem newcome to the world indeed.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email