Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Post Thorin Oakenshield
on: May 24, 2015 05:25
This thread is dedicated to the life and memory of Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thrain, son of Thror, King Under the Mountain, of the Line of Durin.

It is also dedicated to the man who gave us the gift of seeing Thorin with our eyes: Richard Armitage.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Council Member
Send Message
Please don't say dedicated, since I find it too depressing, which is why I said in the description to my tumblr that it "will mainly focus on" instead. It's mostly Thorin related, with no references to those scenes in BoFA, since I refuse to accept that, or else I'll never stop crying (seriously). Here's a link if you want to take a look:

http://queen-of-erebor-me.tumblr.com

Just be warned that there are a lot of naughty posts in there, so if you don't like that kind of stuff, perhaps you shouldn't look through it.

I'm more into the character of Thorin than the actor that portrays him (even though I've seen some of his other works, namely North & South and Into the Storm), even though I didn't care much for the book version (not that I hated him, there was just a few things I didn't understand about him that the movie seems to clear up).
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Lady Oakenshield, I predicted you would be the first!

I'm sorry to depress you. The only reason I sometimes feel okay about BOTFA is because I'm in denial or taking a trip to delusion land. Although Thorin was one of my three favorite dwarves in the book, at the beginning of the movie series I did not feel strongly about him and sometimes was a little critical. But I loved him more with each movie, and most days these days he is my most favorite dwarf!

I would be happy if this did not turn into another dwarf funeral thread, not to shut out other members who need to talk about that. Its fine with me if we halt time at the Will You Follow Me (yesyesyes) scene and the charge of Durin's Sons.

Here is a song I love called Will You Follow Me: Thorin's Song. It will probably make you kind of sad, but it is so heroic and inspiring, it may be worth it.
If the link dosn't work, you can find it by title on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-cu28Y-H4
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Tragedy warning for Lady Oakenshield. This post is about a lament.

I think many of us were sad that Thorin's funeral was not included in the theatrical release. I for one needed to see that. It is a beautiful scene. Eurielle's gorgeous Lament for Thorin based on the book description is the next best thing. Eurielle was inspired to make this song and share it for free with all Hobbit fans. Here is a YouTube link to the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDbelOLOXxo
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
This post is not sad.

I found another great piece of orchestral music about Thorin. It portrays him at his most heroic and kingly. You can find it on You Tube by looking for Epic Dwarf Music - Thorin Oakenshield or use this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w66ZO4Ns12Y It was created by talented folks named Derek and Brandon Fiechter using Garage Band, which I found rather impressive.

[Edited on 07/20/2015 by Elfeawen Lomiondil]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I have nothing against Richard Armitrage. I just think that the portrayal of the Dwarves in all three TH films was off the mark for JRRT's concept of them. I take issue even with the way that PJ had John Rhys Davies play Gimli in LoTR. Compared to him, perhaps only Balin makes sense as a JRRT Dwarf. Especially the whole "three-day-stubble" beards of Thorin, Kili and Fili (and others?) is so totally against Durin's folk being, even among the Dwarves, called the Longbeards. To calm myself down, I remind myself that this TH is PJ's fanfic, based only very loosely on JRRT's source book.
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for making a Thorin thread, Elfeawen. I definitely think Richard Armitage did an outstanding job as Thorin throughout the series. Thorin was one of my favorites in the book, and at the very least Thorin is my second favorite dwarf in the movies (sorry, Kili is my first fave).
Certainly an epic tragic character!
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
You are welcome, Estelanor. I also admire how Armitage brought out Thorin's Shakespearean tragic hero elements. Or maybe I should say a Tolkienian tragic hero, since Tolkien is one of the few who can rival Shakespeare in that regard, in my opinion. There is an epic grandeur about him, a sense of gravity that almost bends space-time. He reminds me of the heroes of the Elder Days who struggled against evil, mortality, and their own flaws, and often could only triumph in death. The folk of Durin are forever in your debt, Thorin, long may your name live on.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email