Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Rings of Power poem
on: November 17, 2015 03:16
I have been thinking about this topic for a while and have asked a few members on here about their opinions. However I have decided to put it into this forum.

My question is who actually wrote the Poem about the Rings of Power
Now I know that Sauron did write the inscription in Blackspeech on his Ring. My opinion is that the rest of the poem was created after all the Rings were given out. Of course Sauron knew about the Three the Elves had, so he may have created it. Do you someone else have written it like Elrond.

Also the poem states Three Rings for the Elven Kings under the sky.
Yet Gil Galad seems to be the only Elven King in Middle Earth that held a Ring of Power, was one of the Elven Rings meant for Thranduil's father.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I've been thinking about this for a few days since reading your post, L~S, and personally I think it was written by Sauron, as I've read the ring inscription is written and said in "pure" Black Speech, which I believe was only spoken by Lord Sauron himself, the Nazgûl and the Olog-Hai? And although we only see the rest of the poem in the prologue, I think there must be more than one writer of the poem and it was just added to? It could be a theory.

I'm not well-versed enough to comment on this, but I always thought it was just Sauron, and/or possibly Galadriel or Celebrimbor?
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
We have to remember that Tolkien invented the Rings of Power when he started writing LOTR, and the poem was written early on. He probably decided that the Elven Rings were made without Sauron's help much later, as well as the entire back history of the Rings. So it's probably best not to ask where it came from.

I suppose Sauron could have spoken the poem to someone while attacking Eriador, it seems the most logical explanation. It just doesn't sound very Sauronish, if you know what I mean.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
"It is written" that Sauron had no part in the creation of the three great Elven Rings. He also forged the One Ring by himself, in secret, in Orodruin.
That leaves the seven and the nine named for Dwarves and Men, and others of lesser potency.

Speculation:
When Sauron put on the One Ring, the wearers of the three became aware of him - meaning, they heard the words - spell - he had inscribed on the One Ring as he spoke them as an incantation of power. The Elves with their perfect memory would not forget this incantation. And so have no trouble including it in a longer poem.

"Three Rings for the Elven Kings under the sky" is a bit more confusing - unless one assumes pedestrian metrical reasons. The three original wearers were Gil-galad (High King of the Noldor in Middle-earth in the Second Age), Galadriel and Cirdan. Galadriel is arguably senior in royalty to Gil-galad, generation-wise and in her Vanyar grandmother. And Cirdan could arguably be called the greatest ship-maker of the Elves, as well as being one of the absolutely oldest Elves (the only one described as having a beard).

But most likely the poem is another loose end, as tarcolan implies.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email