Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter Quote QS2 - Of Aule and Yavanna
on: March 22, 2016 03:54
But the kelvar can flee or defend themselves, whereas the olvar that grow cannot, And among these I hold trees dear. Long in the growing, swift shall they be in the felling, and unless they pay toll with fruit upon bough little mourned in their passing. So I see in my thoughts. Would that the trees might speak on behalf of all things that have roots, and punish those that wrong them

Is it these thoughts that lead Yavanna to the creation of a certain type of creature?

[Edited on 03/22/2016 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
My understanding is that Yavanna sang about the trees and her song was heard by Eru, who sang of them with her.
But dost thou not now remember, Kementári, that thy thought sang not always alone? Did not thy thought and mine meet also, so that we took wing together like great birds that soar above the clouds?
When Manwë entered the music after the quote in the first post was made, Eru advised him:
Behold! When the Children awake, then the thought of Yavanna will awake also, and it will summon spirits from afar, and they will go among the kelvar and the olvar, and some will dwell therein, and be held in reverence, and their just anger shall be feared.
The most obvious example of one of these "spirits" would be the Ents, the Shepherd of the trees.
Ringilswrath
Council Member
Send Message
I've always read that as being a reference to the Ents, but I've found it curious that the elves had to teach them speech, or why the elves wanted to speak with trees.
ImageImage

"Are you sure about that? It might just be a tie!" ~ Duo Maxwell, MS Gundam Wing

Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
I have always assumed that it was a reference towards the Ents being created to stop Yavvanas trees from being cut down from Humans, Dwarves and of course Orcs. The Elves loved nature and how things grew (funny how Hobbits will also have a love of things that grow). Why would the Elves want talking trees? Because they could act like messengers alerting the Elves of enemies.

[Edited on 03/23/2016 by Lord_Sauron]
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Interesting concepts - I find that the reference to trees, in the first quote, that do not bear fruit being quick to be felled rather telling. It seems that unless a tree is of perceived value for trade or consumption, it is not worthy of remaining alive. That would mean that any non-domesticated, if you could call a tree that, would be considered good only to cut down for firewood or lumbar. However, Yavanna did not feel that way, it seems. Elves saw all trees as a part of the world, not as a commodity. I agree, Lord Sauron, that some Elves spoke to the trees in a way (not just the Ents) and would definitely be able to sense danger approaching from the forests around them.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
'Nay', [Manwë] said, 'only the trees of Aulë will be tall enough. In the mountains the Eagles shall house, and hear the voices of those who call upon us. But in the forests shall walk the Shepherds of the trees.'

Now that are the Ents, no question. I'm just wondering if the 'spirits from afar', summoned by the thought of Yavanna earlier, include Tom Bombadil?
Ringilswrath
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting question! Would Tom Bombadil be included with the 'spirits from afar'? Could he be of the order of the Maiar in service to Yavanna or something like that? Or is he just his own free will spirit who thought Middle-Earth was a nifty place to live in?
ImageImage

"Are you sure about that? It might just be a tie!" ~ Duo Maxwell, MS Gundam Wing

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email