Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter quote QS-8 Of The Darkening of Valinor
on: May 11, 2016 09:30
"As I promised I do now. I release thee and remember no grievance.
'...Half brother in blood, full brother in heart Will I bw.Thou shall lead and I will follow. May no new grief divide us'
'I hear thee; said Feanor,'So be it'

So Fingolfin is moved to seek reconciliation, makes a huge offer. Feanor, expecting nothing less as his due, simply accepts it without any expression of kindness or gratitude.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Short and ugly: if the words humility, kindness and gratitude exist in Quenya, they do not originate with Fëanor.
'Nuff said.
The Lady Idril
Council Member
Send Message
When people know they are wrong or feel bad about themselves, the last thing they want is to be around someone kind or righteous. Maybe Feanor feels guilty for threatening Fingolfin and doesn't feel like admitting this. I know lots of people who don't want to acknowledge when they've done something wrong.
The Lady Idril, Princess of Gondolin, Este Realm Member, www.loveroflembas.blogspot.com
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Best way to make something worse, especially if they themselves have the distinct feeling that what they did was wrong. Lying to oneself - doesn't get much worse than that, for yourself most of all.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Lady Idril, I can see that. I know exactly how it feels. And he had to make up with Fingolfin in public with a million eyes staring at him.

I am considering another possibility, that Fëanor did not feel that he was in the wrong, and therefore in his eyes, his response to Fingolfin was suitably magnanimous. (I can see some of you shaking your heads!) His line of reasoning might go like this. Morgoth’s instigating role in the feud had been revealed, but Fëanor didn’t know if Morgoth had taken advantage of preexisting ill will in Fingolfin (as with him), and he had always distrusted his step family. He knew that Fingolfin and been trying to get their father to disavow him, which is one of the most unforgivable things he could do, from Fëanor’s point of view. He accepted Fingolfin’s pledge of a fresh start to the extent that he was willing to give his brother a chance to prove his words, but as of yet, he had no proof that his half brother could be trusted. I give him credit for accepting the pledge.

However, I truly admire Fingolfin’s attempt to make peace with his brother. He was sincere, and how he paid for it, poor guy.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Elfeawen Lomiondil said:... He knew that Fingolfin and [I'm guessing you meant had?] been trying to get their father to disavow him ...

I'll admit, I'm a bit too tired today to look things up, but I did have a "what?!?" reaction to the suggestion that Fingolfin was supposed to have bad-mouthed his half-brother to their Father! Can you point me to the quote, please?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email