Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
St4rg4z3r_
Council Member
Send Message
Post Greetings (along with a translation request)
on: September 06, 2016 02:08
Greetings dear people.

I have a friend who is going to have a tattoo and he wants a phrase of a song translated and written in Quenya (I assume you might have heard this kind of story many times ).

The are two "finalist" phrases for him and those are, both from Slipknot band and song Vermilion part 2, the following:

"She is a myth that I have to believe in"

and the second one

"She is everything to me
The unrequited dream
A song that no one sings"

When he told me about that, I decided to give it a try myself although I knew I probably would get nowhere. At some point, I found a page where someone is translating phrases in quenya for money (quenya101.com if you might have heard it). I decided that instead of paying for the translation (I had not found this place back then) I would try to find the various parts that I needed, in the translated phrases that were already provided, along with using 2 dictionaries which I found online. I do not know if this is too lame but it seemed to me logical and I proceeded. The translations I came up with are the following.

"She is a myth that I have to believe in" ->
"Naryë nyárë ya mauya nin savin"

It appears that in the dictionary the word "myth" does not exist so I used the word "tale" instead.

For the second phrase I got

"She is everything to me
The unrequited dream
A song that no one sings" ->

"Naryë ilyava nin,
i unahtarna/uahtarna (?) olor,
lindë ya úquen lindë"

I am less confident regarding the translation of the second phrase, if I am confident at all .

I have also tried to write the above using proper elvish characters but I did not manage to upload the images.

I would really be grateful to any help you can provide. I am really happy I have found this place, at last, where people seem to really know what's going on regarding quenya.

Finally, I want to apologize in advance, in case the passages I have provided are more travesties than translations. I really hope it will not be too much time consuming for an expert to translate them.

Regards,
Stargazer
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
The first sentence is quite good, only one remark: after mauya we use an infinitive (the 1st person 'I' is already indicated by nin): Naryë nyárë ya mauya nin savë.
If you want to stress the pronoun 'she' you might replace naryë by Se ná (altough se also means 'he').

In the second sentence, I see no reason for the possessive ending -va used on ilya. And I would prefer uahtarna.
And in LotR-style Quenya the verb sing is lir- or linda-.

Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
St4rg4z3r_
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you very much for your quick answer. It is very helpful.

Also, could you please verify that these are correct in tengwar.

[Edited on 09/08/2016 by St4rg4z3r_]
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email