Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
morelkor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Silmarils
on: February 16, 2018 06:28
I was wondering of anyone has any information on what the Silmarils looked like; their size, shape and colour. A quick google yielded no results, but I thought that one of you might have some information.

If no-one knows, or can give an educated guess, speculations are welcome as I want some ideas for some fanart I am working on. I thought they were kind on pearly but with opal-like light in them when I realized I had no basis for thinking that.
I ain't been droppin' no eaves, sir, honest.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The Silmarils were made of an unknown crystal substance similar to diamond but harder than adamant, described as "great jewels". I would guess this means they were quite big. Beren could hold one in his hand though. They contained the blended light of the Trees of Valinor, and being living things they received and gave back light "in hues more marvellous than before". So good luck with that.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Besides Beren, Maedhros and Maglor, the last two surviving sons of Fëanor when Morgoth had been defeated at the end of the First Age, were also able to hold the two remaining Silmarils in their hands; getting their hands burned for their troubles, thus making it clear that the accursed oath was in vain, as the Silmarils themselves declared the brothers no longer worthy to touch them by burning their hands.
morelkor
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks guys. I guess they could be something like an opal with all different colours in them. They would have to have silvery and golden tints to them, since they contain the light of the trees. Though I have no idea how I could draw that.
I ain't been droppin' no eaves, sir, honest.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email