Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post Annual Reading
on: September 22, 2018 03:16
I always like to start reading The Lord of the Rings September 22nd of each year so if anyone else would like to read with me you're welcome to.
It'd be nice to discuss it with other people.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I'm halfway through 'The Essex Serpent' at the moment but I'll read the Prologue at least.
KalyanKrishna
Council Member
Send Message
hi, I am going to read The Lord of the Rings now, I search online find this

https://docsbay.net/the-way-to-read-tolkiens-hobbit-and-lord-of-the-rings-stories

have you finished? any suggestion for me?
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
I am assuming that this is the first time that you are reading The Lord of the Rings. So I suggest that you find a nice quiet place to read and do not try and rush through it. Instead sit back and enjoy it, as it is a great book to read
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lord_Sauron said:... it is a great book to read

I agree absolutely with Lord_Sauron. I have read the book at least 15 times since 1983 (three times in German translation, the other times the original). It can be difficult, at least puzzling (it was for me on my first reading, in German) the first time, perhaps until the four Hobbits reach Bree (chapter 9 "At the Sign of The Prancing Pony" ). It has to do with how (and how slowly) J.R.R. Tolkien wrote the book - at least from 1937 to 1949, some parts right up to its publication 1954/55. But it is very probably the most re-read fiction book of all times, as one finds something new almost every time, there is so much in it.

[Edited on 08/08/2019 by Gandolorin]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email