Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Bear King
Council Member
Send Message
Post writing with "my"
on: October 03, 2019 01:25
So i wanted to put a Quenya engraving on a wedding ring and i was having trouble doing the tranlsation. the best I could get was:

The love of my life
I melmë cuilenyava

My queen Ambra (using a translation for Amber)
Tárinya Culuinië

Am I close?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Both are correct.
And yet I have two remarks:
- why is cuilenyava in the possessive case? I would have preferred a genitive as "the love" is a part of "the life"
- On this page you can find a better translation for the name Amber: http://www.elvish.org/elm/names/a.html
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Bear King
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you for the feedback! My reasoning for the possesive case was to relate "the love" specifically to me. Otherwise would it not be "the love of life" or "life's love" which removes me from the scenario entirely?
What would your suggestion be?

And that site is much nicer than the database on here. I noticed that the name is no longer available on this sites database. They had <Malinë> and <Malicon> for Amber and I was thinking for Ambra maybe <Malicona>? Or perhaps <Malinéa>?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
I think you mixed up two different grammatical notions: -nya is a possessive ending that corresponds to a possessive pronoun in English.

The ending -va is however the ending of the possessive case and contrasts to the genitive case ending -o: i atar aldo = the tree of father (genitive case, it means that the tree is connected to father but not owned by him); i atar aldava = father's tree (possessive case, it is the tree owned by father)
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email